Main battery issues or key fobs??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I have replaced the key fob batteries so it's not that (?).... Just today I could not get the car started after the door button wouldn't work... then the alarm went off when I tried the manual key to get into the car and I didn't know how to stop it!

Eventually I got in and we got home (but I dare not lock it in case the alarm goes off again), but since neither key or door button works, so there's obviously another glitch aside from the key fobs.

Can any suggest any fixes / thoughts?

If I touch the key fob close to the start button it will start but then I can not lock the door... Thanks

Might the 12V accessory battery be failing? Or the battery cables are loose? If you have a hand-held voltmeter available, let the car sit 1 hour after turning off, and measure the voltage. With a healthy battery, it should read at least 12.2V.

If its the 12v, which seems to be something of a refrain around here, it apparently takes group 21R, and prefers LiFePO4 over lead acid (their nominal voltage is 0.8v higher for one thing) though they come with lead acid. No one in my area carries them and amazon isn’t reliable for batteries because counterfeits. I put out a call to liion wholesale on the grounds that they’re a known carrier of non-counterfeits. They haven’t gotten back to me yet

UPDATE: they got back to me and don’t carry one either. :/. Also the “21” was I think a typo. 51R is what I was told

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have replaced the key fob batteries so it's not that (?).... Just today I could not get the car started after the door button wouldn't work... then the alarm went off when I tried the manual key to get into the car and I didn't know how to stop it!

Eventually I got in and we got home (but I dare not lock it in case the alarm goes off again), but since neither key or door button works, so there's obviously another glitch aside from the key fobs.

Can any suggest any fixes / thoughts?

If I touch the key fob close to the start button it will start but then I can not lock the door... Thanks
I thought i was doing that too, but even though the battery was new i was replacing a dying battery with a dead one. Also they dont always make good contact.

Back