Mother's Day Driving - How much did you drive today?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLewisCA

Well, I had a really nice Mother's Day out in my Leaf today. Here's the vital stats:

Total Miles: 100
Outside Temp: Around 95 - 100
Passengers: 5, including myself
All 65 mph highway, all with A/C on auto to keep things cool.
One 19-minute QC.

My wife and I, my mom, my cousin and my niece all went out for a nice Mother's Day lunch today that included pretty much all highway driving at 65 mph, and we were nice and cool running the A/C the whole day. All that we needed was a quick 19 minute stop to charge the battery from 24% (after starting the day at 100%, and driving 65 miles in the aforementioned conditions) up to 80% at a QC at the AQMD in Diamond Bar, CA. It was really nice to show a few other people in my family that driving an electric car can be done with little impact to a normal routine. In fact, this trip took very little planning other than looking at the distances on Google Maps, and making my passengers aware that we would need to stop for 20 minutes or so to 'juice up'.

This was also my first QC. I expected it to heat up the battery, but it's certainly the first time I've seen the battery up at 8 bars. So far, the most bars I've seen on the battery heat meter is 6, and that was only on a couple other 90 degree days. Today was nearly 100, so I guess that's to be expected. I was really impressed at how fast the car charged.

So, what's your Mother's Day driving story?

I dont have that option on my Leaf but I would love to fast charge one day! Must be pretty neat!

I have lots of 'moms' in my life so today was our 3rd mothers day with the Leaf.

Last weekend:

211 miles round trip. Wife, son and I visited and spent the night at her mothers house 98 miles away. Level 2 charging at midpoint for 1.5-2hr (lunch, shopping, playscape); wife and I went out to date once little guy went t obed - Level 1 charge anytime car parked at in-laws; leaving AM next day.

This weekend.
Sat;
My son and I visited my mother 78 miles away, 183 miles round trip. Met my mom and brother at Level 2 charging station 3 miles from moms house. Spent 7 hours going out to lunch and spending time with mom. Gave brother test drive then drove 78 miles home - took too much freeway - entered hometown at very low battery. I never worried about getting home though - I have pushed the car before.

Sun;
My wife went shopping while I looked after our son. She went 20 miles or so round trip. Level 1 charging here at home.

i went to work and back - 50 miles.
and i took the mother of my children's ICE to the gasoline station cause it was on fumes and it was mothers day.

For Friday - Sunday:
100% charge
Kid to school
Self to work
Home
Cabella's (65 mph)
Home (charge for 1 hour)
Church
Scout Campout
Walmart (forgot the soy sauce)
Campout
Church
Home - Low Battery Warning 96 miles
80% charge
To folks for Mother's day (1 mile)
Fancy car wash (had to get 2 weekends of mud off the Leaf)
HomeDepot (now I have dirt inside instead of outside)
Home
MeltingPot on the Plaza (Fondue for Mother's Day)
Home - 50 miles

Grand Total weekend 146 miles

238 miles.
Started at my sister's house in Malibu, down to UCLA medical center, up nearly to Santa Barbara and back home to Glendale.
Temps in the 90's and A/C blasting the whole way. Got home with 18 miles showing on the range meter and the car in "power limited" mode. The range meter was extremely accurate and assisted me with maintaining my energy rate at around 330 Wh/mi, while keeping up with traffic.

I'm really happy I got the big battery pack. Zero range anxiety.

Oh, forgot to mention, this was in a Tesla. Our LEAF took Mother's Day off.

Mother's Day was a bit above average driving for us. Probably about 120 miles or so.

The best part is that I parked in a new parking garage in Durham, NC that was VERY well done.

They had 2 EVSE's on 2 different levels (for a total of 4). Pretty well marked signage and some paint on the spots themselves to indicate EV-only use. The spots were not in the "premium" areas so as to discourage ICEing. But the part that I liked best is that they had a certain number of "perk" spots marked "Fuel efficient cars only" (okay that part is stupid--this was a LEED building and I really hate that they give a point for that vague wording). But what I liked about it is that those spots actually had 120V outlets at them. So they do get a point from me because somebody was thinking there. The final execution was not that great and I suspect those spots will be frequently ICEd, but that is something that can be fixed later if need be. I like the fact that they at least thought ahead and ran power to those spots. Some of the spots didn't have 120V outlets, but they did have round plates, so again I'm hopeful that maybe they ran 240V capable wire to those spots for future expansion of EVSEs.

130 miles without charging. Came home from a weekend trip to Indian Wells and then went to my parents' and back for Mother's Day festivities. Still had 25 miles left on the GOM.

However, like sparky I must admit it wasn't in my Leaf; it was in my new Rav4-EV. :)

Back