My Leaf replaces...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Leaf replaces a 2002 Saturn Vue. After week #1, my only problem is we can't stay under 33 miles per day for the lease. It's that much fun to drive.

I just leased a 2012 Leaf SL, which replaces a 2000 VW Passat GLS with 220k miles. A great mid-sized car, that got 30mpg with the 4 cyl turbocharged engine and a 5-spd manual transmission. Unfortunately, our Nissan dealer declined to even give us a trade-in offer, so we are left to figure out what to do with it.

MrIanB said:
CARMAX is your friend if car paid off or you can list it locally.

Congrats and now go out there and drive!!!

Ian B

+1 for CARMAX; but I used their quote to purchase it from me for leverage on a better trade-in value as selling yourself can be a PITA (no shows, can I pay you in installments, ship the car with this bogus money order, etc., etc.) your Passat could simply have too many miles for them to consider but worth a shot anyway. Looking on edmunds.com, it shows about a $1,300 trade-in value, about $2K private sale so you may even want to donate it and take the auction value off your taxes. It may still be a great car to you and to someone looking for a cheap car, but audience can be limited as how much life does it have left --

You can also donate it to animal shelter, get the tax credit and they will use it to transport animals to and from the vet. Also, I believe the women's shelter will also take it. Good cause either way, you get the credit and good charma your way. It's a win win if you don't kneed that 1500-2000k. Someone should be able to offer you 1k locally.

Good luck and congrats,

Ian b

You could also sell the LEAF and use the proceeds to turn your old Passat into an electric car :lol:

http://etischer.com/awdev/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cracovian said:
You could also sell the LEAF and use the proceeds to turn your old Passat into an electric car :lol:

http://etischer.com/awdev/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OMG, this guy is WAY out of control! I'm sorry, but I don't have the spare 1,000 hours that he probably put into his car.

Thanks everyone for the tips on what to do with my Passat. I have a soft spot in my heart for this car; 220K miles, and still on the original clutch and turbo. I was going to drive it until it dropped, but this 2012 Leaf lease deal seemed like a sign that it was time to make a change.

Al F.

2006 Subaru Outback Sport -- Leaking oil from the head gasket,
and couldn't fill gas tank completely due to a faulty tank valve.
I will never have either of those issues again!

Just leased a 2012 blue Leaf in Seattle... Replaces 2011 Xterra with 26k miles. Will miss 4x4 but already think very highly of EV! Will save net about $175 in fuel.

Live in rental and leasing it, so L1 charge is likely my main option plus whatever I find with carwings.
Would love to find L3 close!

Charge rate is $0.0987 kwh. Can you assist with monthly cost on this?

Will get 22 days per year of gas rentals free if needed !

Lots of tech jargon to get used to on this forum. Very useful!

I just had it out tonight 1st time delivering pizza. Lots of hills here. 25 miles total all in Eco mode. 2.8 kwh.

Thanks!

SeattleBlue said:
Charge rate is $0.0987 kwh. Can you assist with monthly cost on this?...

I just had it out tonight 1st time delivering pizza. Lots of hills here. 25 miles total all in Eco mode. 2.8 kwh.

Thanks!
Is that 2.8 miles/kWh? On the dash or the console (under the energy screen)? You can reset either meter; some of us reset one monthly and the other with each charge (to get an idea of how efficiently we are driving that day). Others have left one meter unchanged since purchase for an overall look at how the car is doing. The meter on the console tends to read about 0.1 to 0.2 m/kWh higher than the one on the dash, IME, but that's close enough to use for cost of driving calculations.

2.8 m/kWh is fairly low, with practice at efficient driving you ought to get a higher number even with lots of hills, unless you are using the heater a lot (it is a major power hog, using the seat and steering wheel heaters take much less power) or you are driving very aggressively. If you haven't already done so, you might want to reset one of your meters to get a picture of how you are doing now as you get more familiar with the car. I'd guess that you are doing better than 2.8.

That said, charging at Level 1 (120 Volts, 12 Amps) is about 75% efficient. So your 2.8 m/kWh on the car would be about 2.1 m/kWh "from the wall":
2.8 x 0.75 = 2.1

So, your power cost would be:
9.87¢/kWh / 2.1 miles/kWh = 4.7¢/mile

If you managed to raise your driving efficiency to 4 miles/kWh that would be 3 miles/kWh from the wall or about 3.3¢/mile.

These numbers are approximate, but can give you some idea of how much your LEAF driving will cost in electricity.

Thanks dgpcolorado! Yes. Early driving habits are close by and lots if hills. I did reset my Cw energy and will work on better habits.

I have just about 120 miles in 4 days which is 40 miles less than my average habit in a gas rig.

So By you calc I spent $5.17? That same distance is $27 in my xterra! 5 times savings!

I sign a 24 mo lease tomorrow on a 2012 SL.

It will replace my 2001 Lexus ES300.

The lease rate is what I spend in fuel every month!

EDIT:
I picked up the Leaf!

Love it so far.

The Leaf will replace a 2001 Volvo S40 for me.

The car leaving the household is a 2000 Hyundai Lantra estate. Much loved workhorse whose days are at an end I'm afraid.

I just leased a new "Blue Ocean" Leaf SV last Friday from Tustin Nissan. It will mostly, but not fully, replace a 2006 Audi A3 2.0T with over 105k miles. That will become my "range extender."

I still love the way the Audi drives, but as it gets up there in mileage it has become quite demanding (and expensive) in its maintenance and repair needs. I put 15k/year on my cars so my 3 year/36k lease will help me enjoy the Audi for a few years longer.

My 2012 Leaf SL replaced a 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback with 82,000 miles and a front bumper that looked like a piece of modern art (the paint flaked off of the plastic bumper in large chunks-- after I exceeded my warranty, of course). Other than the paint issue, I enjoyed that car. It was my first manual, and I swore that I would never buy another car without a manual transmission, but I guess I didn't totally break my promise because the Leaf doesn't have an automatic transmission.

SeattleBlue said:
Live in rental and leasing it, so L1 charge is likely my main option plus whatever I find with carwings.
Would love to find L3 close!

Are they no longer checking/requiring installation of L2 when buying/leasing a Leaf? While there were ways around it, they buying process strongly suggested purchase of an L2 along with the car. Now, it turns out that people figured out you could upgrade the existing Nissan L1 EVSE to L2, but the point still remains: charging a fully (or even mostly) depleted Leaf on L1 (on a regular basis) will lead to a very unhappy owner.

Stanton said:
Are they no longer checking/requiring installation of L2 when buying/leasing a Leaf? While there were ways around it, they buying process strongly suggested purchase of an L2 along with the car. Now, it turns out that people figured out you could upgrade the existing Nissan L1 EVSE to L2, but the point still remains: charging a fully (or even mostly) depleted Leaf on L1 (on a regular basis) will lead to a very unhappy owner.

I bought my LEAF on April 21, 2012 and was not required to have a L2 installed. I am also a very happy owner that only uses L1 for charging at home. Only once did I think that it would have been nice to have L2. Some day I may get the upgrade to L2.

Back