MY2013: 1 Gid = 3 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z0ner

Wouldn't that be nice if it was consistent across the whole pack and not just the bottom?

I've been trying to see how much I get out the tail end and unless I have an hour to spend babying it I don't think I'll ever find out.

Even though we know the 2013 calcs are different, I'm still bothered my new pack only shows 270 max. When LeafSpy gets to about 7-9 gids left, with my 3% to empty showing 0.0 miles remaining, it seems I have so much more.

For example, yesterday with 8 gids remaining and 0.0 DTE, I went three flat miles before 8 turned to 7. Another three miles before it turned to 6. At that point it was too nerve-wracking and I figured I was done experimenting for the day.

Thank you Nissan for taking a value that was reliable, and turning it into still yet another guessing game.

Perhaps min/avg cell-pair voltages would be more useful at very low GID counts...

Someone else had some data correlating cell-pair voltages to SOC% which could be helpful.

Do you know what your SOC did during your test?

drees said:
Perhaps min/avg cell-pair voltages would be more useful at very low GID counts...

Someone else had some data correlating cell-pair voltages to SOC% which could be helpful.

This thread I started last year is all about this. Now 20 pages, my post of may 15 gives info on estimating remaining range for 2013 Leafs. Gids are very nonlinear for these cars and not useful.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13776&start=190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drees said:
I think you're right. It's painful and annoying that I have to use another method, stop the car, read the pairs, and guess how much distance I have left.

drees said:
No, but that would have been helpful. I'll get that during my next test.

stjohnh said:
This thread I started last year is all about this. Now 20 pages, my post of may 15 gives info on estimating remaining range for 2013 Leafs. Gids are very nonlinear for these cars and not useful.
Thanks, here's the relevant data from that thread:

stjohnh said:

Here are some CP voltages (average) that I've pulled from LEAF Spy at various SOC for reference (note that I have one CP that is significantly lower than average, at 3% it was just over 3.0V):

Code:
25.0%	3.78V
22.0%	3.74V
18.0%	3.75V
17.0%	3.72V
13.2%	3.69V
12.0%	3.67V
7.0%	 3.52V
6.0%	 3.47V
5.0%	 3.42V
3.0%	 3.31V

Thanks guys - love this community.

Here's another one I gleaned from the thread:

stjohn said:
While a couple of others with 2013 Leafs with low Gid readings have reported a substantial increase after turtle, that has not been my experience. Minimal change in GIDs at full charge, capacity, SOH, Hx, etc.

I stopped using GIDs last year after I realized the GID reading was useless for judging the range left (which is what I really want to know in day-to-day driving), especially at low battery charge. GIDs readings for these 2013 Leafs are extremely non-li near (miles remaining vs GIDs).

I routinely drive my cars below VLBW and need to know how much juice is left. For these 2013 Leafs, the simplest way to judge range at low charge is to use the formula SOC-4=miles remaining (using LeafSpy SOC, not dash SOC)(assuming 4-4.5mi/kwh driving style) This works quite well (within 1 mile until the last fuel bar disappears). The last fuel bar disappears at 6-7mi remaining until turtle. Remaining range after last fuel bar disappears is more complicated, and using the lowest cell-pair voltage has given me the most useful result as I get very near turtle. For those reading this, this only pertains to 2013 Leafs with capacity readings in the 59-62 range.

Back