NASHVILLE TENNESSEE - LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPWhite said:
kelseypost said:
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that! I bet you're pretty shook up. Did this happen in Hendersonville by chance? A buck ran out in front of us last week in the middle of Vietnam Vet's... my husband saw it and swerved (thank goodness) but I was shook up for a while.

I'll ask Justin if he knows of any good places that do Leaf body repair. We're thankful that you're ok. :)

Hey Kelsey. No it was in Gallatin on the way to work on the 109 bypass just past Hancock. Yeah the experience does shake you up for a while. I've avoided deer in the past, but this time didn't even see the deer come from the side. The LEAF protected me well, its a well made car.

Yikes! I take the 109 bypass to work, too. I'll have to be more cautious around those areas.

PS: I was looking at your Leaf photos and saw some of your other albums. I didn't know you had a Longhorn fan in your family... I'm an UT alumnus :)

kelseypost said:
PS: I was looking at your Leaf photos and saw some of your other albums. I didn't know you had a Longhorn fan in your family... I'm an UT alumnus :)

Yeah my son spent time in Houston and became a Longhorn fan.

JPWhite said:
I believe the next scheduled L3 charger is CB Murfreesboro. Anyone live close by that can confirm progress?

With the Murfressboro location this will create a 'little triangle' of L3 chargers between interstates 840, 40 and 24 :)

I know this post is a few weeks old, but we made a trip down to Murfreesboro today and stopped to eat at CB. Battery was at ~50% charge when I started and I still wanted to try out the Blink L3 which is online.

Side note: This CB did a GREAT job of putting up signage and not picking a "prime" spot that would typically get ICE'd. (it may be due to location of the L3 feeder, regardless it works out well for EV drivers). Here's a picture of the spots. I think the yellow poles along with the EV signs will help deter most ICEing.
(Click for bigger version)

I read someone post that the BLINK L3 chargers only allow you to charge to 80%. This is not correct. On the screen you have to hit "more options" when it shows you what % you want to charge to (by default it only shows up to 80%, I wish I would have a snapped a photo, but the screen was hard to focus on).

At first I tried 100%, after a few seconds the Blink said it failed to charge, and started over (had to rescan my RFID and enter my zip code). I tried 90% and it worked fine. (I suppose I could have tried 100% again, but didn't really need it).

I didn't mess around on the screen (afraid to cancel the charge), but can anyone confirm that you can see the current Voltage/Amp levels from the Blink L3s? (I wanted to press the "Available power" but again, it was my first time so I wanted to see it go through without me accidentally cancelling it or interfering) By the time I snapped a photo it was already up to 52% battery (I believe at start it was at 50%) and checking via the app, the charge finished (~50% to 90%) in about ~15minutes (this wasn't a precise time, but it finished charging before we were seated, and we only waited about 10-15 minutes).

After eating, I unplugged the connector and started the car up. The yellow/orange ! "EV system warning light" came on. Worried me for a second, but I cycled power on the car and it did not come back again. In the owner's manual it says it could be caused by:
Code:
. Traction motor and inverter system
. Charge port or on board charger
. Li-ion battery system
. Cooling system
. Shift control system
The fact that the light did not come back on after cycling power, I wasn't too worried to drive back home. Worth calling my dealer about? If I see the light again in my normal drive/charging I will most definitely call a Nissan dealer.

My first experience with Level 3 charging was awesome. Add that to the fact that it is currently free to charge and yesterday I charged another 6 bars for free at Sunset Grill downtown on L2 makes my wallet happy. Since we were in Mboro, we wanted to check out the other EVSEs at the Avenue and stop by a few stores. The World Market store has 3 Blink EVSEs up front next to the handicap spots. 2 out of the 3 spots were ICE'd. The Best Buy has 3 Blink EVSEs up front as well, and none of those were ICE'd. Maybe people assume they are handicap spots?

Has anyone else tried out the L3 chargers?

TNleaf said:
JPWhite said:
I believe the next scheduled L3 charger is CB Murfreesboro. Anyone live close by that can confirm progress?

With the Murfressboro location this will create a 'little triangle' of L3 chargers between interstates 840, 40 and 24 :)

I know this post is a few weeks old, but we made a trip down to Murfreesboro today and stopped to eat at CB. Battery was at ~50% charge when I started and I still wanted to try out the Blink L3 which is online.

Side note: This CB did a GREAT job of putting up signage and not picking a "prime" spot that would typically get ICE'd. (it may be due to location of the L3 feeder, regardless it works out well for EV drivers). Here's a picture of the spots. I think the yellow poles along with the EV signs will help deter most ICEing.
(Click for bigger version)

I read someone post that the BLINK L3 chargers only allow you to charge to 80%. This is not correct. On the screen you have to hit "more options" when it shows you what % you want to charge to (by default it only shows up to 80%, I wish I would have a snapped a photo, but the screen was hard to focus on).

At first I tried 100%, after a few seconds the Blink said it failed to charge, and started over (had to rescan my RFID and enter my zip code). I tried 90% and it worked fine. (I suppose I could have tried 100% again, but didn't really need it).

I didn't mess around on the screen (afraid to cancel the charge), but can anyone confirm that you can see the current Voltage/Amp levels from the Blink L3s? (I wanted to press the "Available power" but again, it was my first time so I wanted to see it go through without me accidentally cancelling it or interfering) By the time I snapped a photo it was already up to 52% battery (I believe at start it was at 50%) and checking via the app, the charge finished (~50% to 90%) in about ~15minutes (this wasn't a precise time, but it finished charging before we were seated, and we only waited about 10-15 minutes).

After eating, I unplugged the connector and started the car up. The yellow/orange ! "EV system warning light" came on. Worried me for a second, but I cycled power on the car and it did not come back again. In the owner's manual it says it could be caused by:
Code:
. Traction motor and inverter system
. Charge port or on board charger
. Li-ion battery system
. Cooling system
. Shift control system
The fact that the light did not come back on after cycling power, I wasn't too worried to drive back home. Worth calling my dealer about? If I see the light again in my normal drive/charging I will most definitely call a Nissan dealer.

My first experience with Level 3 charging was awesome. Add that to the fact that it is currently free to charge and yesterday I charged another 6 bars for free at Sunset Grill downtown on L2 makes my wallet happy. Since we were in Mboro, we wanted to check out the other EVSEs at the Avenue and stop by a few stores. The World Market store has 3 Blink EVSEs up front next to the handicap spots. 2 out of the 3 spots were ICE'd. The Best Buy has 3 Blink EVSEs up front as well, and none of those were ICE'd. Maybe people assume they are handicap spots?

Has anyone else tried out the L3 chargers?

TnLeaf,

Nice report, on Wednesday last week I went by that CB in the morning 8:00 AM or so, and found the L3 powered off.
The L3 charger at Stewards Ferry, and in Manchester, TN only lets you choose from 40%, 60%, and 80%, no 100% options. I was part of the initial setup and test of the CB Stewards Ferry L3, and the project manager confirmed that BLINK was instructed by Nissan to disable the 100% option after the final approval of the Utility company for the site inspection.

Please check out my Blog at http://www.ralphmc.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on my continuing report on Charge station installations in Nashville and surrounding area.

Ralph

Glad to hear the QC in Murfeesboro & Manchester are up and running. I have used Lebanon & Stewart's Ferry for QC. I reported the down QC at Stewart's Ferry over a week ago. The one place where I have never charged is McDonald's, they are ICE'd every time I drive through. Luckily there is usually an alternate L2 near by.

Although there is only one Coulomb Tech. L2 I know about around here, I rec'd a Chargepoint card yesterday. I figured I would get some use in other areas of the country.

Hope everyone is having a peaceful holiday.

Tom

Well, fellow pioneers it looks like we will be waiting for a reliable QC near Nashville for a little longer. I tried to plan a trip today around the CB QC station at Murfeesboro. I pulled up to the right QC plug it wouldn't read my card. So I swiped the left screen which popped up the zip code screen. Of course I had to move the Leaf to get to that plug. By that time the left screen went to "Thank you goodbye". The L2 was ICE'd, thank goodness for the 25 ft L2 cord, which I used by parking in the right QC space. I called Blink, they say the Murfeesboro QC has been out since Nov. 18. They also say the QC at Stewart's Ferry has a repair on order. I used other Blink chargers in the area, some Blink L2 pedestals seem to read the Blink RFID card sporatically when it is raining. I returned home by using chargers on the route.

Tom

fishfool said:
some Blink L2 pedestals seem to read the Blink RFID card sporatically when it is raining. I returned home by using chargers on the route.

Tom

L2 chargers are very sporadic reading RFID cards. The chargers at the Holiday Inn have yet to work for me first time, I have had to get the maint guy to reset the breakers on both occasions I've been there.

JP

hill said:
Anyone in the nashville area got a L2 J1772 installed yet? I've been out here a few days visiting family. The hospital has a L3 going in soon, but what about any of the locals?

EcoTotality sent their local contractors out last month and installed a Blink in about 4 hours.

Regards,

Dave

Good Morning to a very chilly Nashville. 21 degrees at our house this morning at 0600 hours. I am wondering how everyone else did this morning with pre-heating, heated steering wheel and rate of discharge and range.

Regardez

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
Good Morning to a very chilly Nashville. 21 degrees at our house this morning at 0600 hours. I am wondering how everyone else did this morning with pre-heating, heated steering wheel and rate of discharge and range.

Regardez

Dave

Due to heavy fog it was 29 degrees in Hendersonville.

I have taken to driving Gallatin Rd to work rather than Vietnam veterans during the cold months which means I can have heat on and get the same range as driving Vietnams at the speed limit (65). This morning was the same as usual. (Due to the fatal wreck access to Vietnams was closed anyhow).

There must be a lot of LEAF owners running without heat, On the Carwings world rankings I'm 1242 out of 1382 for energy consumed by 'accessories' which includes the climate control. By comparison I'm 125 out of 1382 for miles driven. I steadfastly refuse to compromise comfort due to range anxiety, and simply taking a different route means identical range despite the heavier energy used by the heater.

Today I have had to add 45 miles to my regular 30 mile commute due to taking the car in for Nationwide to assess the deer strike damage. $5,400 damages BTW. I am confident I'll get home without needing to switch off the heater or crawl along. First 45 miles took 1/2 charge. 30 miles to go with 1/2 charge remaining.

I do take advantage of pre-heating for a full 30 minutes before I leave home. Have it on a timer so I don't forget. When work gets chargers (fingers crossed) then I can preheat there also without affecting range.

JPWhite said:
CWO4Mann said:

Regardez

Dave

Due to heavy fog it was 29 degrees in Hendersonville.

I have taken to driving Gallatin Rd to work rather than Vietnam veterans during the cold months which means I can have heat on and get the same range as driving Vietnams at the speed limit (65). This morning was the same as usual. (Due to the fatal wreck access to Vietnams was closed anyhow).

There must be a lot of LEAF owners running without heat, On the Carwings world rankings I'm 1242 out of 1382 for energy consumed by 'accessories' which includes the climate control. By comparison I'm 125 out of 1382 for miles driven. I steadfastly refuse to compromise comfort due to range anxiety, and simply taking a different route means identical range despite the heavier energy used by the heater.

Today I have had to add 45 miles to my regular 30 mile commute due to taking the car in for Nationwide to access the deer strike damage. $5,400 damages BTW. I am confident I'll get home without needing to switch off the heater or crawl along. First 45 miles took 1/2 charge. 30 miles to go with 1/2 charge remaining.

I do take advantage of pre-heating for a full 30 minutes before I leave home. Have it on a timer so I don't forget. When work gets chargers (fingers crossed) then I can preheat there also without affecting range.

Thanks for the update! Man o man that was an expensive deer! The last time I hit a deer at least I got 22 lbs of jerky and two big roasts and that was before Tennessee allowed you to pick up road kill! I'm wondering if the high cost of repair is caused by the aluminum body panels? Back in the day, I owned a Jaguar XK-120-S drophead couple with the aluminum body and the only place you could get work done was at the old Vultee Plant where they still made wings and tails for B36's. They had an "employee's craft shop" where if you knew the boss you could get aluminum work done anytime.

Preheating 30 minutes sounds good to me. I get up at 0600 and don't roll out of the garage until 0730 so plenty of time to do the preheat. I "think" I am going to receive a cold weather Leaf in the next few days (scheduled for December 5th) so will have a warm butt and steering wheel too.

If you're ever in Brentwood and need a charge, give me a call!

Regards,

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
Thanks for the update! Man o man that was an expensive deer! The last time I hit a deer at least I got 22 lbs of jerky and two big roasts and that was before Tennessee allowed you to pick up road kill! I'm wondering if the high cost of repair is caused by the aluminum body panels? Back in the day, I owned a Jaguar XK-120-S drophead couple with the aluminum body and the only place you could get work done was at the old Vultee Plant where they still made wings and tails for B36's. They had an "employee's craft shop" where if you knew the boss you could get aluminum work done anytime.

If you're ever in Brentwood and need a charge, give me a call!

The Headlamp assembly is one expensive little item. $923.48
The 'marker assembly' which is a separate item and sits behind the main lamp is just $22. Go figure.

A new door is just $640.69

Parts total was $3000

Thanks for the offer of a charge, likewise if you need one in Hendersonville let me know. Though we have 3 locations already in Hendersonville with 9 more planned 'shortly'.

JP

Herm said:
JPWhite said:
Today blew.
Deer hit my LEAF did over $4k of damage

At least you are alive. Don't forget, the paint shop must remove the main traction battery if they have to bake the paint (in an oven). The door is aluminum and that will require special care to fix, most likely they will replace it with a new one, imported slowly from Japan :0

Is the hood damaged?

You were right. I'm getting a new door. Door (and other parts) are readily available within 2 days. I take it in Tuesday to start the repair.

Nationwide elected to replace the hood as well even though it has just a minor ding. The body shop says there is not much you can do with aluminum except replace it with new parts. Suits me fine. They come from Nissan anodized according to the body shop.

The body shop said Nissan dealer wants to de-power the vehicle before they work on it, and have provided them with all the precautions for working on the vehicle. He said they won't be baking it. I believe all Nissan will do is disconnect the battery and truck it back to the body shop. Sounds like Nissan are providing the body shop with more than the usual help, which is reassuring.

My efforts at pre heating through Carwings have been only intermittantly successful. I believe I have tried it maybe three or 4 times and it works about half the time. Other times I get the following message:

climate control on failed

Your request to start climate control for BradsLeaf failed. There was a problem detected communicating with the vehicle. Please try your request again. Also ensure your vehicle is located in an area with cellular reception and it has been driven with the last 14 days.

The car is parked at my home in East Nashville plugged into my EVSE. I drive it daily. Not sure why this happens. Anybody else have this problem? It is disappointing to come out to a cold car when you are expecting that it will be warm.

Brad

brad said:
My efforts at pre heating through Carwings have been only intermittantly successful. I believe I have tried it maybe three or 4 times and it works about half the time. Other times I get the following message:

climate control on failed

Your request to start climate control for BradsLeaf failed. There was a problem detected communicating with the vehicle. Please try your request again. Also ensure your vehicle is located in an area with cellular reception and it has been driven with the last 14 days.

The car is parked at my home in East Nashville plugged into my EVSE. I drive it daily. Not sure why this happens. Anybody else have this problem? It is disappointing to come out to a cold car when you are expecting that it will be warm.

Brad

You know, I have read so much about Carwings being flaky that I am going to try to document everything for the first month. The deal for me is that I can use my Android phone to directly access the Blink device from anyplace inside my house via the home WiFi system (198.162.0.###) and so forth. But I have set the Blink to begin charging when the car is plugged into it (or it plugs into the car or what ever floats it's boat). The Carwings thing that I am looking forward to is collecting data for a trial period, perhaps a couple of months. I'm not particularly a hypermiler, but just want to drive the Leaf as I naturally drive my existing ICE for my daily commute and runs around town. I have pretty detailed mileage records day by day. Part of the Ham radio set up in my existing vehicle is a data transceiver which uses the APRS system (http://www.aprs.fi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a map and FAQ). A lot of Ham have this system installed as I do and it renders all kinds of data about speed, travel tracks and so forth. I wonder if the failure of Carwings is caused by the crappy cell connection or simply by lousy programming. I am putting some serious thought into routing the CanBus data from the Leaf to the APRS transceiver (which is a data device and can handle a load of data in addition to GPS location, such a times, temperatures, 256 discrete channels of "data" .. etc. ). Since my APRS works at almost 100% efficiency in any metro area which had the Ham Radio APRS digipeter capability.

One thing that I know for sure is that after I wrapped up the month of November spreadsheet on my Nissan Pathfinder, I had spent $213.56 for gasoline; $108.55 of which was repaid to me by my employer as work related mile (for which I have to keep Yet Another Spreadsheet ((YASS)) and submit monthly. We receive .38 per mile from my company. At the end of the day, so to speak, that total amount is a car payment for me on the LEaf, so I am not complaining at all! :)

Now, to get the company to install a level two charger at the office.

Cheers,

Dave

Has anyone been to the Cracker Barrel in Manchester, TN. I noticed the new QC updated in PlugShare, but it has 2 negative check-ins. If anyone is in that area, can you check on the L3 charger, and see if it is online?

Thanks!

TNleaf said:
Has anyone been to the Cracker Barrel in Manchester, TN. I noticed the new QC updated in PlugShare, but it has 2 negative check-ins. If anyone is in that area, can you check on the L3 charger, and see if it is online?

I drove to Monteagle from Murfreesboro this weekend. I've made the trip before, but only barely and only by going <65mph on I-24. I planned to have lunch at the Cracker Barrel in Manchester to top off my half-full battery.

When I got there on Friday both of the level-3 EVSEs were turned on, but were both displaying an error message. Something like "communication with your car could not be established". I tried plugging in and swiping my Blink card, but no luck. I called Blink to report the outage. They said that I was the first to report the problem, and that it would be fixed in "one or two weeks." Luckily the Level-2 was operational and I got enough juice to get me up the mountain.

I stopped by again on Sunday, but the level-3 was completely powered down. Another Leaf owner flashed their lights as I was pulling out. I hope they had enough battery to get them where they needed to go!

-David

Let's face it Blink has a flaw in the QC software/hardware design. When 3 of the 4 QC stations installed in the last 5 weeks are non functional. In fact if you look across the country you will have a hard time finding any QC stations that work regularly. The QC at Stewart's Ferry has been down for over 2 weeks. Why doesn't Blink at least send out one of their sundry blanket emails explaining what the problem is and/or what time frame is involved in the fix. For right now QC is a fantasy for the future in this area.

Hearing that the L3 chargers are all down sucks. I'm 2 for 2 on being able to charge (at Nissan Frankling HQ and CB in Mboro), so my luck is bound to run out.

I thought I remember reading that TN is leading the states for the most L3 chargers installed, something like 6? This also means that we are the state with the most NON-functioning L3 chargers!

Back