NASHVILLE TENNESSEE - LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eleafgrrl said:
Left the house in Greenbrier with 93 miles on the GOS, went down to Nolensville Pike, south of 440, then to Costco in W. N'ville on Charlotte Pike, then to hubs shop downtown, then up to Rivergate area before returning home. Actual miles:84. Mileage left on GOS:17 came in at an even 5.0 mile/kWh. Whew! No complaints about range from this gal! Oh, and no speeding tickets, either...

Nice job! I'm amazed at the increase in range on the GOM with this warmer weather. 80 miles to 95 miles is not too shabby... Yes, I know it's completely subjective, but it is cool, since I only charge to 80% most of the time.

I'm glad you're loving your car as much as I do mine. :)

Cheers, Bert

TimLee said:
Thanks JP. Glad the event went well.
Has anyone in Nashville had the problem with the Blink DCFC only providing 67% charge when set for 80% that I discussed in the following link:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would suspect that you may have a problem with the LEAF CHARGING TIMER. Maybe it has to be set off. I would compare experiences but none of the QC stations around Nashville are working. I quick charged back in November and it went up to 80%. I had the Leaf timer set to 80% on that charge, since then I have tried many times but the QC stations at Nashville, Murfreesboro & Lebanon haven't been working in while.

Thanks fishfool.
Sorry to hear DCFC in Nashville aren't working.
The Eaton DCFC at Murphy Oil in Chattanooga was broken for a couple months, but they repaired it in early February.
East Ridge and and Cleveland have worked for me, and one in Athens is reported to be working too.
I don't see how the car timer has anything to do with it though, as the DCFC is controlling everything that is going on for DCFC. Seems more like the DCFC has to be mis-reading the cars status of charge.
But strange that it would work right charing to 100%, but stop short going to 80%?

TimLee said:
Thanks fishfool.
Sorry to hear DCFC in Nashville aren't working.
The Eaton DCFC at Murphy Oil in Chattanooga was broken for a couple months, but they repaired it in early February.
East Ridge and and Cleveland have worked for me, and one in Athens is reported to be working too.
I don't see how the car timer has anything to do with it though, as the DCFC is controlling everything that is going on for DCFC. Seems more like the DCFC has to be mis-reading the cars status of charge.
But strange that it would work right charing to 100%, but stop short going to 80%?

When the charging timer is on in the Leaf there is a setting for charging limit either 100% or 80% this setting applies unless the immediate charge button on left side of dash is activated. That is why most owners don't use the timer program on their home Blink chargers, it's hard to know what timer program is stopping the charge (Blink or Leaf). The other factor is that the QC stations will not do a 100% charge, they are programmed to stop at 80% to prevent battery damage. The QC also lowers the amperage as the charge gets closer to 80% for the same reason. That is the final problem with QC charging if all the chargers were working properly. Nissan does not recommend more than 1 quick charge a day to prevent a shortened battery life. So even if we wanted to cruise Interstate 40/75, the 1 quick charge a day limit makes a 300 mile trip time consuming at the least.

Tom

fishfool said:
When the charging timer is on in the Leaf there is a setting for charging limit either 100% or 80% this setting applies unless the immediate charge button on left side of dash is activated. That is why most owners don't use the timer program on their home Blink chargers, it's hard to know what timer program is stopping the charge (Blink or Leaf). The other factor is that the QC stations will not do a 100% charge, they are programmed to stop at 80% to prevent battery damage. The QC also lowers the amperage as the charge gets closer to 80% for the same reason. That is the final problem with QC charging if all the chargers were working properly. Nissan does not recommend more than 1 quick charge a day to prevent a shortened battery life. So even if we wanted to cruise Interstate 40/75, the 1 quick charge a day limit makes a 300 mile trip time consuming at the least.

Tom

Right, I've never used my home L2 Blink EVSE timer. I only use the LEAF timer both at home and when using other Blink L2 EVSE.
But I don't think the car timer controls anything but L2 LEAF charging.
Both the Blink DCFC and the Eaton appear to have the DCFC controlling the charging.
You're correct that the DCFC default is to only go to 80%, but both the Blink and the Eaton will allow you to select 100% charging with the DCFC. On the Blink the screen gives several options such as 40%, 60%, 80%; but it also has an Other option. When you select Other, it allows you to select 90% or 100%.
And yes, the maximum rate of charging that the LEAF battery can tolerate is markedly reduced above 80%.
When the battery charge is very low, the DCFC will charge at a very rapid rate. The Eaton displays the amps charging, and when I started charging with the car at <20%, it initially was charging at 200 amps. The amps continually dropped as charging occurred, and were down around 140 amps when the car was at 60% charged.
When I used the Cleveland Blink DCFC to charge from 77% to 100%, it took about 30 minutes. I haven't tested to see how long L2 takes to charge from 77% to 100%, but my guess is it is somewhere between 45 minutes and an hour. So final charging to 100% isn't much faster with the DCFC.
You're correct that Nissan in their published literature states use of fast charging should only be once per day.
But the feedback provided by the LEAF engineers in the forum in California in early December indicated that the DCFC monitors the LEAF battery temperature, and that there is very little concern with use of fast charging even for multiple times per day except in extremely high ambient temperatures.
Several people in Europe where they have deployed an extensive DCFC network that is mostly free, have reported they have done multiple use of DCFC and drive the Leaf more than 300 miles in one day.
On the day I did two, the first was 77% to 100%. As the rate of charging is so slow from 77% to 100%, that DCFC likely was no different than had I used L2.
I agree that people won't drive the LEAF 200 to 300 miles per day very much, as it takes 30 minutes of DCFC to go from 20% to 80%. And for Interstate speeds, that will mean 30 minutes of DCFC for <1 hour of driving. Not many people will ever drive the LEAF 300 miles in one day doing four or five DCFC.
I only drove 105 miles the one day, when I did two.

TimLee said:
I haven't tested to see how long L2 takes to charge from 77% to 100%, but my guess is it is somewhere between 45 minutes and an hour. So final charging to 100% isn't much faster with the DCFC.

Each 'bar' on the fuel gauge takes 30 minutes to charge using L2 EVSE. 75% charge equates to 3 bars, so 1 1/2 hours minimum to charge from 75-100 percent. DC fast charging is still much faster.

Hey guys,
I just had a chat with Chris at Green Village Recycling. His company is looking into installing a few chargers (ten, I think) in the north Nashville area, around Sumner county. He wanted to know what areas/spots need them the most. What are your thoughts? I know JP wants one at his work!

kelseypost said:
Hey guys,
I just had a chat with Chris at Green Village Recycling. His company is looking into installing a few chargers (ten, I think) in the north Nashville area, around Sumner county. He wanted to know what areas/spots need them the most. What are your thoughts? I know JP wants one at his work!

I would say all the major Malls and shopping centers - specially if he put some good signs on it that way it can encourage people to use his service and maybe even go and drive electric!

Ralph

kelseypost said:
Hey guys,

Here are some of my thoughts.

Supermarkets and cinemas really need some, we spend an hour or more there.

Publix Hendersonville and Gallatin
Kroger Hendersonville and Gallatin
Gallatin and Hendersonville Cinemas
Bledsoe State Park
Gallatin City Square
Drakes Creek Park Hendersonville
How about some outlying communities such as Portland and Westmoreland?
American Security and Bank Hendersonville and Gallatin

BTW it's earth day on April 22nd. How about we do something on that day?

Good ideas. I can always count on you guys to be smarter than me ;)

I'll shoot an email to Chris with your location ideas.

kelseypost said:
Good ideas. I can always count on you guys to be smarter than me ;)

I'll shoot an email to Chris with your location ideas.

On the way in this morning I went by a Chiropractor. Folks often spend 30-60 minutes on an appt, more if other services are involved. Chiropractors are often environmentally conscious and may favor it from the green angle.

Gallatin had Goff and Tigges as chiropracters I know of (Tigges could double up as a hospital charger as well)

JPWhite said:
On the way in this morning I went by a Chiropractor. Folks often spend 30-60 minutes on an appt, more if other services are involved. Chiropractors are often environmentally conscious and may favor it from the green angle.

Gallatin had Goff and Tigges as chiropracters I know of (Tigges could double up as a hospital charger as well)

Cool, I just left a message for Chris... I'll drop that idea by him as well when he gets back with me.

On another note, it looks like we'll be sponsors of Nashville's Earth Day at Centennial Park. We're having it set-up where people can go take rides in the Leaf. Are any of you going to be down there? If so, I was thinking we could set aside 30 minutes and have a "Q&A with the Nissan Leaf owner's panel". One of my co-workers is in contact with the Mayor's office to see if Mayor Dean can come be apart of the owner's panel... we'll see. Let me know if any of you would like to join.

kelseypost said:
JPWhite said:

Cool, I just left a message for Chris... I'll drop that idea by him as well when he gets back with me.

On another note, it looks like we'll be sponsors of Nashville's Earth Day at Centennial Park. We're having it set-up where people can go take rides in the Leaf. Are any of you going to be down there? If so, I was thinking we could set aside 30 minutes and have a "Q&A with the Nissan Leaf owner's panel". One of my co-workers is in contact with the Mayor's office to see if Mayor Dean can come be apart of the owner's panel... we'll see. Let me know if any of you would like to join.

Count me in!!

kelseypost said:
JPWhite said:

Well you beat me to the punch...

I did that in 2010 for the Toyota Prius and volunteered all day my time for it at CP.
So I asked Nissan what they are planning, they said they did not have anything on the radar as of yet.

I really would like to be there all day - just to be available for any support of the cause.
So please set aside space for my leaf and a power connection so I can show my data using my Laptop etc.

PM me so we can talk more in detail about it.

Ralph

P.s. this would be a great venue for our next LEAF owners meet-up!

ralphmc said:
kelseypost said:
JPWhite said:

I did that in 2010 for the Toyota Prius and volunteered all day my time for it at CP.
So I asked Nissan what they are planning, they said they did not have anything on the radar as of yet.

I really would like to be there all day - just to be available for any support of the cause.
So please set aside space for my leaf and a power connection so I can show my data using my Laptop etc.

Ralph

I'd be pleased to be at the Earth Day thing too, schedule permitting. I'll have the Leaf all tricked out with the Ham Radio Gear, telemetry and Busta Rhymes on the speakers. Let me know if I can help out with proselytizing ....

OK, I wanted to report that I (as we say in the Army) "Officially Have a Case of the Ass!". I drove from home (B'hood to office, Green hills, then had to go to Murfreesboro unexpectedly. I figured, I'm cool with that, I'll stop at the CB there for some lunch and a Quick Charge. Nope. Got there and the QC is deader than a door nail. I called Blink, got a voice mail and left a message explaining that I was fairly aggro ... One of the L2's was ICE'd and I left one of the pre-printed notes under the jerk's windshield wipers and plugged in to the other L2. Had lunch, picked up some Hash Brown Casserole to go for the Office, and came out. L2 still working fine and Leaf received 1 hour of charge. QC's still dead. Drove back towards Green Hills but with 16 miles left on the GOM decided to take Old Hickory the back way and swap vehicles at home. Got back to my crib and had 7 miles on the GOM. Drove the old Pathfinder into the office and then later back home.

Thanks for letting me vent! See, this would have been a Perfect Trip if that QC had just been working. But, I know not to try to stretch the fuel situation and have to autorotate down into a WalMart parking lot.

Cheers,

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
OK, I wanted to report that I (as we say in the Army) "Officially Have a Case of the Ass!". I drove from home (B'hood to office, Green hills, then had to go to Murfreesboro unexpectedly. I figured, I'm cool with that, I'll stop at the CB there for some lunch and a Quick Charge. Nope. Got there and the QC is deader than a door nail. I called Blink, got a voice mail and left a message explaining that I was fairly aggro ... One of the L2's was ICE'd and I left one of the pre-printed notes under the jerk's windshield wipers and plugged in to the other L2. Had lunch, picked up some Hash Brown Casserole to go for the Office, and came out. L2 still working fine and Leaf received 1 hour of charge. QC's still dead. Drove back towards Green Hills but with 16 miles left on the GOM decided to take Old Hickory the back way and swap vehicles at home. Got back to my crib and had 7 miles on the GOM. Drove the old Pathfinder into the office and then later back home.

Thanks for letting me vent! See, this would have been a Perfect Trip if that QC had just been working. But, I know not to try to stretch the fuel situation and have to autorotate down into a WalMart parking lot.

Cheers,

Dave

CWO4Mann I feel your frustration. I have tried to Q charge there myself with no success, ever. I have been sending Ecotality photos of broken QC stations since the "EV Driving in TN" event. At that meeting we were told that all QC stations are working along the interstates in TN. I sent one of the broken QC photos after the meeting that night. So far Ecotality has explained the condition of the QC station at Stewarts Ferry( broken phase line). I guess they think we will believe any face-saving #%@& Blink story about the condition of QC stations! I remember when "honesty was the best policy", I still think it is the BEST policy. I know now this was a field test for QC stations but shouldn't we expect some transparency or accountability? Tell us what to expect and we will adapt as you did on your recent EV trip. For now don't count on any QC from Blink in the forseeable future.
Anyway this situation would seem to postpone any plans for membership based payment on Blink public charging.

CWO4Mann I feel your frustration. I have tried to Q charge there myself with no success, ever. I have been sending Ecotality photos of broken QC stations since the "EV Driving in TN" event. At that meeting we were told that all QC stations are working along the interstates in TN. I sent one of the broken QC photos after the meeting that night. So far Ecotality has explained the condition of the QC station at Stewarts Ferry( broken phase line). I guess they think we will believe any face-saving #%@& Blink story about the condition of QC stations! I remember when "honesty was the best policy", I still think it is the BEST policy. I know now this was a field test for QC stations but shouldn't we expect some transparency or accountability? Tell us what to expect and we will adapt as you did on your recent EV trip. For now don't count on any QC from Blink in the forseeable future.
Anyway this situation would seem to postpone any plans for membership based payment on Blink public charging.

CWO4Mann said:

Cheers,

Dave

------------------

Hello Fish, thanks for the information. Seems to me that Ecotality/Blink are being "less than transparent" about the woes of the 3-phase QC units. I'm pretty familiar with 'lectricity and all the differ't kinds of Hellfire and Damnation which can fly out of that there wall socket (as my Granny used to say about TVA's finest efforts in Tennessee) ... and I happen to know that three-phase delivery is no big deal. I am thinking that the QC is another Kluge (apologies to Field Marshall Kluge of the Kaiser's Army) just as is the wall mount EVSE in our ever-suffering garages. After looking at both the reports here on the forum and after opening up my own EVSE I realize that Blink should have just pushed a button that said "Trunk Monkey" and had them do the EVSE units. The wall mount device is an incredible POS and it is a miracle that it works at all -- like a helicopter. The QC unit that I saw yesterday reminded me of the Monolith in that movie with the man who turns into a baby during some kind of LSD trip on the screen.

I am usually fairly vocal when it comes to shoddy products and have had my share of "conversations" with manufacturers and vendors over junk that doesn't work. In this case, I think the Ecotality has taken the US Government to the cleaners, since I am sure that most of the money to fund this crappy equipment has come out of our pockets.

I am just waiting for my blood to come to an adequate boiling point before I start writing letters.

ANYway, Glad to see that we now have the situation under control and we can go back to watching March Madness.

Dave Mann

---------------------

CWO4Mann said:
ralphmc said:

Ralph

I'd be pleased to be at the Earth Day thing too, schedule permitting. I'll have the Leaf all tricked out with the Ham Radio Gear, telemetry and Busta Rhymes on the speakers. Let me know if I can help out with proselytizing ....

We'd love to have you guys! I'll keep you updated as I get the time nailed down for a Q&A. I'm not sure of the dimensions of our area yet, so I don't know how much space we'll have to park Leafs... so that's another thing I'll keep you updated on as I find out more.

PS: fishfool, I felt the same way at the EV in TN event. The response to the broken chargers seemed like it was one you'd hear at a press conference. They probably didn't mean to blatantly ignore that customer's valid concerns (I'm not sure who asked that question... I was in the back so I couldn't see), but I think a better response would have been, "I'm glad you brought that up. We are aware of the problems and are working to fix them so you can have a better charging experience." That would of at least been better than denying the problem completely.

Who all mentioned that they would be attending the Earth Day celebration at Centennial Park? (Saturday April 21st 11am-7pm: http://www.nashvilleearthday.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I recall seeing Ralph, JP, kelseypost, and CWO4Mann was a potential yes. Anyone else planning on bringing their LEAF?

Back