Navigation map update ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmp647

Each fall Navteq makes available new map updates for their systems

the Fall 2011 version 11.1 should be out in mid October.

Does anyone know the proceedure for updating a Leaf Nav system?

It is either a disc thats installed directly or an update done by a dealership onto the harddrive

anyone?

I believe the right-hand SD slot's older Nav-SD is replaced with the newer Nav-SD, purchased either on-line or from a dealer, for about $150 as I recall.

So far, the format of the SD card is unknown, and most likely the program(s) on the SD are "locked" (keyed) to that specific SD-ID. So, making a backup of this expensive SD card is apparently not possible by ordinary means.

Also, if the Toyota Nav-DVD updates are any indication, one should not expect any/many "substantial" changes from year to year.

The Nav system for San Diego is lame lame lame! It's missing schools, streets, parks, and major development areas like "Liberty Station".

I paid extra for my navigation system, it's not usable out of the gate, and I have to pay for an "update"??? What kind of lame business model is this!

Google maps is free. Just give me something like that!

kaelev said:
I paid extra for my navigation system, it's not usable out of the gate, and I have to pay for an "update"??? What kind of lame business model is this!

You did not pay anything for it, it came standard with the car. You paid for the battery, everything else is free.. just use google maps :)

I used to send Google Maps directions to my Leaf via Carwings account. Now that feature is gone in Google Maps. Does anyone know why Google Maps removed this option? It now only sends to email and IM. Sending to the car was a very useful tool for me, and now it is gone. :(

mpm3710 said:
I used to send Google Maps directions to my Leaf via Carwings account. Now that feature is gone in Google Maps. Does anyone know why Google Maps removed this option? It now only sends to email and IM. Sending to the car was a very useful tool for me, and now it is gone. :(

"Send to car" is still there. It just got moved around during the several updates that Google maps got recently.

Once you get directions between points A and B, click the envelope on the top right of the left frame. It opens up another box with the URL and the HTML code. In there, click on send, and voila, the old window with options for Email, Car, GPS comes up.

Very convoluted, and not intuitive at all. Google forgot to run this through the Usability people :)

i do use this feature regularly as well. While we have a nicely designed car, the Navi system leaves a lot to be desired. Especially in the iOS/Android/Google Instant world that we live in today.

pjoseph said:
mpm3710 said:

"Send to car" is still there. It just got moved around during the several updates that Google maps got recently.

Once you get directions between points A and B, click the envelope on the top right of the left frame. It opens up another box with the URL and the HTML code. In there, click on send, and voila, the old window with options for Email, Car, GPS comes up.

Very convoluted, and not intuitive at all. Google forgot to run this through the Usability people :)

i do use this feature regularly as well. While we have a nicely designed car, the Navi system leaves a lot to be desired. Especially in the iOS/Android/Google Instant world that we live in today.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! You are right it wasn't intuitive at all. Why do designers fix things that are not broken? It was more user friendly before. Grrrrr. By the way you thought that image that looked like "goggles" is the symbol for a "link" like a chain. ;)

pjoseph said:
mpm3710 said:

I just tried this procedure, however, did not see the "send to car". There is no envelope icon on the frame at all, either left or right corner. I tried using Google Maps running on a Chrome and a Firefox browser. What I saw happen was this: 1. Selected a route of travel; 2. selected the "linking" symbol (like 2 chain links) at the top left of the map menu where the print icon is located. 3. Clicking on the chain links opened the "send dialog, whereby the url of the map can be sent via email to a target address. No provision for sending to car or other devices.

Somehow I think I am not using the correct Google Maps? My address line is "maps.google.com" which is opened in both the Chrome and the Firefox browsers from the Google account home page.

In the MapQuest system, there is an option to send to car but only two "systems" are available, On-Star and Synch; MapQuest also has the option to send to a mobile number and to a Garmin device.

Please assist,

Regards,

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
I just tried this procedure, however, did not see the "send to car". There is no envelope icon on the frame at all, either left or right corner. I tried using Google Maps running on a Chrome and a Firefox browser. What I saw happen was this: 1. Selected a route of travel; 2. selected the "linking" symbol (like 2 chain links) at the top left of the map menu where the print icon is located. 3. Clicking on the chain links opened the "send dialog, whereby the url of the map can be sent via email to a target address. No provision for sending to car or other devices.
After the link symbol and the blue send in the upper right corner of the dialog box, you should get a new dialog box. On the left side of this new box, there should be 3 selections: Email, Car, and GPS. No got? I am using Firefox and the same URL you posted.

Bill

After you get driving directions, click on the "link" icon indicated in the picture below.

A box will pop up as shown below. Click on "Send"

Next the box shown below pops up. Click on "Car"

Finally the box shown below pops up. Select NISSAN as the car make, and enter your Carwings account name. Finally click on "Send"

I hope this works for you. For me it works fine this far, but in the car for the last few months I always get an error - failed to download due to communications error. Other feeds transmit fine. I've tried resetting and removing feeds, all to no avail. I read somewhere - maybe in a BMW forum - that Google keeps a queue of destinations to send. I think I once got a real error months ago, and now nothing I can do from the car end will make Google flush out the bad entry, so everything else I try is blocked behind it. If anyone else has had and has solved this problem, I'd sure appreciate a tip.

Images uploaded with ImageShack.us

Another place to find the "Send" option in Google Maps is after you type in your destination address you will see in the left frame a street view picture. Just under the picture is a menu for "Directions" - "Search nearby" -" more" with a down arrow. Click on the "more" link and you will see the "Send" link. You don't even have to have point A to B route to see this, just your destination address. Hope that is clear to everyone.

mpm3710 said:
Another place to find the "Send" option in Google Maps is after you type in your destination address you will see in the left frame a street view picture. Just under the picture is a menu for "Directions" - "Search nearby" -" more" with a down arrow. Click on the "more" link and you will see the "Send" link. You don't even have to have point A to B route to see this, just your destination address. Hope that is clear to everyone.

which is a lot easier if it's only going to send the destination address only anyway (as the note says when you send directions to the car).

I don't actually have my LEAF yet (although I think that may change today!) so I can't tell for myself, but is this true? I frequently like to adjust the route away from the prescribed one (either to take a particular "favorite" road, pass by a particular place (without adding multiple destinations) or just "help" out an inferior routing algorithm). I've always wanted to be able to fine tune the route on a computer and send it to the GPS unit and was all excited about being able to do this!

lpickup said:
I've always wanted to be able to fine tune the route on a computer and send it to the GPS unit and was all excited about being able to do this!
Nope, sorry. Regardless of whether you have a single point or a route, all Google sends to the car is the single destination point. Of course the simplest way to drive a different route is to just ignore the GPS directions and turn where you want; it quickly catches up and gives up telling you to U-turn back to the original route and replans the route to the one you want.

When I want a variant route where the turns are unfamiliar to me and I want GPS guidance, I set waypoints to force the car GPS route to the desired path. I think you could send your destination plus any desired waypoints from Google maps to the car, and in the car receive each of the points and add it to the route.

Congratulations on getting your car soon. Bet you'll love it!

CWO4Mann said:
Okey Dokey Artichokie! I got it now. Thanks a million for the help. Anytime you are in Music City, USA drop by for a charge and a steak on the grill! :D

Ah ha!!! Not so fast! I went to the car and after firing everything up went to the MAPS button to display it. I did not find any new routes at all. I then checked using the in-car/on-screen the Carwings settings and RSS, and other possible places; I finally went to all of the places within the MAPS screen that I could find and did not find any forwarded routes from Google. There was a "Google Maps" line on the navigation system but when I pressed that on-screen button it opened communications to the Mother Ship and told me there was nothing new or words to that effect.

When sending from the Google Maps on my PC, it indicated that the maps went to the Carwings account "Misterfixit" which is my carwings account name. Now if someone wants to plot the route to the Brown Hotel and Donkey Show in TJ and send to me, maybe it will get here sometime.

I have to say that the navigation system in the Leaf definitely leaves something to be desired. Meanwhile I've installed my Garmin Nuvi which has all of my saved routes on it.

Cheers,

Dave

From Google, you send just single points, not routes.

Carwings will hold about 5 points, so send 5 new points to flush out the old 5 points?

You might need to be logged into Google to get the Send-to-Car feature?

The LEAF will "read" the locations to you, and you must press Pause to get a menu to save the location to use later.

garygid said:
From Google, you send just single points, not routes.

Carwings will hold about 5 points, so send 5 new points to flush out the old 5 points?

You might need to be logged into Google to get the Send-to-Car feature?

The LEAF will "read" the locations to you, and you must press Pause to get a menu to save the location to use later.

Thanks for the information. I am going to pass on using the in-car nav system. I have several hundred locations on my Garmin and need them all available. I can't imagine program developers being so short-sighted as to have a rotating 5 entry memory for addresses.

Regards,

Dave

lpickup said:
mpm3710 said:

which is a lot easier if it's only going to send the destination address only anyway (as the note says when you send directions to the car).

I don't actually have my LEAF yet (although I think that may change today!) so I can't tell for myself, but is this true? I frequently like to adjust the route away from the prescribed one (either to take a particular "favorite" road, pass by a particular place (without adding multiple destinations) or just "help" out an inferior routing algorithm). I've always wanted to be able to fine tune the route on a computer and send it to the GPS unit and was all excited about being able to do this!

I am always altering my route, I usually never like the way Google Maps wants me to go. So I just click and drag to the road I want to take to my destination then the map recalculates and I send it to the car. However, you don't have to follow the directions while in the car either, if you want to take a different way it recalculates the route your taking to your destination. But it curses you in a stern voice when you do that. Just kidding! :D ;)

Back