Navigation map update ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has everyone just given up on the Leaf navigation system?

I have a Garmin 2460LMT I paid $249 for it a year ago. Ten months ago it was easily updated, for free, and included a new, and major, interchange on I-10 north of Tucson. I've had my Leaf a year but I know of no map updates available yet.

Also, on a ride across Tucson the Garmin accurately warns me of police traffic cameras. There are about seven in a twenty mile drive.

I love my Leaf but the the lack of updated maps and traffic seems almost disrespectful to the car. :|

The Leaf Navigation maps don't even contain the road where my office is located. :roll:

I use my Android phone for navigation. I mostly use it just for the live traffic updates, so I can anticipate accidents and take alternate routes home.

I see "XM Traffic" in the 2012 specs. But I don't see it as available for the Leaf at:

http://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Satellite?c=SXM_PageDetail_C&childpagename=SXM/SXM_PageDetail_C/OpenContent&cid=1282009830205&pagename=SXM/Wrapper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:?:

If you go to navteq.com and navigate around, you'll eventually end up here at the Nissan map store:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NissanNorthAmerica-Site

You can select the LEAF from the menu. It doesn't matter if you select 2011 or 2012, it still says there are no updates available :x

You can select other models to get an idea of what the cost may be...for example I selected a 2011 Maxima and got this:

Introductory Offer: $199.00

Save $50 off the regular price of $249 plus receive free shipping if you order by June 30, 2012.

Yes, I've given up on the LEAF's navigation map because there is no way in hell I'm going to pay almost 2X the cost of my TomTom device (that came with lifetime FREE map updates, lifetime FREE traffic, has superior routing algorithms, and gives me an estimated arrival time that is usually within a minute or two) for a one-time update.

And frankly they should really offer one free update anyway since the map in my car when I took delivery doesn't contain several roads near my neighborhood that had existed for at least 2 years!

svBackstreets said:
Also, on a ride across Tucson the Garmin accurately warns me of police traffic cameras. There are about seven in a twenty mile drive.

Weird, the maps for Norway contain all the traffic cameras. I have a lot of them nearby and the NAV was driving me nuts with the "speed camera ahead" or whatever it says until I found out how to turn the damn thing off ;)

I rarely use the LEAF's pathetic Navi because I am spoiled by the one in my Honda that has every business, governmental office, recreational facility and other location by name, category, distance away, and so on (and which I can program while driving).

Navigation update is available now.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NissanNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=iM8KCghB9t4AAAEuFBFDJP3i&ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or if that doesn't work: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NissanNorthAmerica-Site" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and select LEAF on the left.

$179

QueenBee said:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NissanNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=iM8KCghB9t4AAAEuFBFDJP3i&ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or if that doesn't work: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NissanNorthAmerica-Site" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and select LEAF on the left.

$179

Looks like there's no update for the 2013. :( My 2013 nav doesn't even know about a major freeway here (540), so the routing is always suboptimal. It NEVER has any well known POIs either... I'd love an update. :)

Boy, that is pricey. I can live with my 2011 edition, and if I need anything better, I'll dig out my ancient Garmin with lifetime maps.

jimmyz80 said:
QueenBee said:

$179

Thanks for the notice QueenBee, very helpful.

Has anyone purchased and installed the upgrade? Please share outcomes if so.

I downloaded the upgrade instructions and noticed the difference between the navigation info for the upgraded version and found the info about the version that came with my LEAF. It seems that the maps version is now "12-13YEAR" versus my "11-12YEAR" so that is good, but in and of itself not worth the cost of the update to me. So back to the trusted 'ol Garmin with it's perpetually current maps and simple-to-use functionality.

But wait, there may be more he says, noticing some other items on the upgrade instructions. I also saw a new program version: "196" and it is a much larger (newer?) version than in my car. So hmmm, methinks:

A- could the cumbersome navigation interface be upgraded as well, eliminating the annoyances so well detailed on MNL?
B- dare I hope, could the start-up nag screen be eliminated?
C- could the essentially non-functional voice command be upgraded to workability, or is this so far out of the box that delusion has taken hold?

If either A or B is included, then the $179 makes much more sense and compels me towards upgrade. If BOTH are accomplished, consider me an immediate upgrader and forever forward I promise to think only the kindest thoughts about Nissan, the LEAF, and my range anxiety. And I may even USE the nav. If C is accomplished in concert with A and/or B, I have obviously slipped into Shangri La and probably won't need the LEAF at all anymore.

Only the data is updated; nothing else. It definitely is not worth the cost since it is still many, many years out of date.

BlacklickBob said:
If either A or B is included, then the $179 makes much more sense and compels me towards upgrade. If BOTH are accomplished, consider me an immediate upgrader and forever forward I promise to think only the kindest thoughts about Nissan, the LEAF, and my range anxiety. And I may even USE the nav. If C is accomplished in concert with A and/or B, I have obviously slipped into Shangri La and probably won't need the LEAF at all anymore.

I got my replacement SD card and it had the same problem as the first (error screen with SD UNLOCK NG). Before I could call NavTeq about it, they called me. They said I should return it for a refund and they will let me know when the update is available again. Apparently they've been having a lot of problems so they are going to pull the upgrade and fix it.

I just ordered the Feb 2013 version on SD card. The website said "out of stock" but allowed me to place an order, and I got a shipment notification email a day later. We'll see what happens.

What happened: several days after ordering, I emailed customer care. A couple of days later, someone from Nissan called me to get the dash ID numbers again - the web interface lost the info I'd entered at the time of ordering. Several days after that, my update arrived by FedEx. It works fine.

I gave it a quick try and didn't notice any interface changes. It's probably just the usual POI and road updates. The SD card says it is the 2012-2013 version. The old SD card in my 2011 dash was dated 2010-2011.

As I mentioned installed the 2012-13 map update SD card and it seemed to work fine at first; however, I found a bug:

For at least the city of Saratoga, California (but not the cities of Cupertino or Mountain View, California): If I try to enter a destination by street address, and first specify the city as Saratoga and then enter the address number and the street name, the Nav system will say that no such place exists.

If instead I leave the city at "Any City", then enter the address number and the street name, then the nav system will find the address in Saratoga, California.

This problem occurred for three separate addresses in Saratoga California.

For now I am considering un-installing the updated (2012-13) SD card and using the old one (2010-11) which did not have this problem. I've emailed Navtech customer service.

Back