Need a better word than ICE to describe a combustion car ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeler

I find myself describing the electric car to folks, but don't have a good way to describe the ICE cars. I don't want to say a "normal" car, because electric is my new normal. ICE means nothing to the average person.

In an attempt to coin a term, I a proposing "Smoker" instead of ICE or normal car. The name is derived from the ICE bandits from the movie Waterworld.

For a refresher on Waterworld Smokers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFsmZhQWtg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgsJGHxZxcg

Do you have a better suggestion on a word to describe ICE cars?

From the comments below, we have other suggestions too:
Old fashioned car
fart-car
polluter
fossil-car
Heater (noted confusion with slang for gun)
Tailpiper
gas car (noted confusion with hybrid)
slimer
old stinky technology
gasser
ICK = Internal Combustion Klunker
PIG = Petroleum Ingesting Gas Hog
Dino-burners

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I use "gas car", because it's simple and understood right away. If a term requires further explanation, it's less useful for the general public.

That is pretty much what I say as well. Everyone knows what a "gas car" is.

The only real confusion is when the discussion moves to hybrids, specifically hybrids that do not have plugs. After all, they are still gas cars but I like to classify them a bit different.

Well, maybe 'smoker', but I rather like ICE.

Years ago, I converted all my RC model airplanes to electric, so now call those powered by liquid fuel "slimers" because of the oil film deposited by the engine exhaust.

"old stinky technology"

Before EVs enter in my mind, I always wanted a new Mercedes. With what I spent on to Leafs, I could have bought one. Even now, I still notice them, but I remind myself that they are just "old stinky technology".

Some good suggestions. I will give it another day and start a poll with some of the best.

Sorry, but there is a lot of that old technology out there that simply excites me far more than any Leaf... I recently got to drive a Ferrari F430 for example. What an incredible car and experience! Even the Tesla S does not come close!

camasleaf said:
Before EVs enter in my mind, I always wanted a new Mercedes. With what I spent on to Leafs, I could have bought one. Even now, I still notice them, but I remind myself that they are just "old stinky technology".

How about PIG

Petroleum
Ingesting
Gas Hog

It could be used in context such as "Your PIG is ..."
...destroying the environment
...costing you more to operate than my EV
...making me choke from its noxious fumes
...forcing us to send our boys to the middle east to ensure it can feed itself

TomT said:
Sorry, but there is a lot of that old technology out there that simply excites me far more than any Leaf... I recently got to drive a Ferrari F430 for example. What an incredible car and experience! Even the Tesla S does not come close!

camasleaf said:

Yes, but it still "stinks" ;) .

Because of the addictive nature of using fossil fuels, call it a CrackCar. (Sort of like the Blackberry was called the CrackBerry.)

Obviously this doesn't work in conversation, but when writing to an audience that you aren't sure what acronyms they may be accustomed to, you can state it in the text as, Internal Combustion Engine (ICE). Thenceforth they will have learned what an ICE is.

reeler said:
In an attempt to coin a term, I a proposing "Smoker" instead of ICE or normal car. The name is derived from the ICE bandits from the movie Waterworld.
Smoker?? No...because midwesterners would think it's a BBQ (yep, that's what came to my mind) or a cigarette (carcinogens, anyone?). The images just get worse.

KISS (Keep It Simple & Stupid) - "Gas car" is all you need to say. In my view (plain and simple), if your car can use gas (hybrids), it's still a gas car (disclaimer: not intended to disparage hybrids).

Someone actually saw Waterworld (touted as one of Kevin Costner's biggest losers)? To me, that's an obscure reference for car buyers overall (but EV buyers are obscure, too ;) ).

Back