Need a better word than ICE to describe a combustion car ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One person's stink is another person's perfume...

camasleaf said:
TomT said:
Sorry, but there is a lot of that old technology out there that simply excites me far more than any Leaf... I recently got to drive a Ferrari F430 for example. What an incredible car and experience! Even the Tesla S does not come close!
camasleaf said:
Before EVs enter in my mind, I always wanted a new Mercedes. With what I spent on to Leafs, I could have bought one. Even now, I still notice them, but I remind myself that they are just "old stinky technology".
Yes, but it still "stinks" ;) .

I prefer ICE.
Perhaps I am lucky.
I am not so lazy that I don't mind explaining ICE as an acronym for Internal Combustion Engine, never required more than once per day.
Also, none of the people I speak with have a hard time understanding what an Internal Combustion Engine is.
The term ICE is simple, precise, and harmless.

I llike "gasser", but unlike eclecticflower I would not apply it to any pluggable vehicle. He says a gas car is one that can use gas. I say a gasser is one that must use gas. (i.e. one that ultimately gets all its energy from gasoline.)

Ray

Well, a hybrid "must" use gas eventually or it "will" stop (without a refill to its ICE) so my view is that it slips into that "gas car" category. Just my take on it, not the last word. Gas car, partial-gas car (hybrid), electric, whatever suits your audience and helps them more easily understand your point.

Kathy

LFV = Liquid Fuel Vehicle

Of course, nobody would know what that means either.

PPV = Polution Producing Vehicle

PPPV = Partial Polution Producing Vehicle

PPPPV = Plugin Partial Polution Producing Vehicle

Gas Guzzler = GG

OK, I'm gonna go down "that" road...SEV and NSEV (smoker and non-smoker EVs - it's about emissions). One of these is unhealthy. :lol:

The government could then jump on board to subsidize programs to help users quit SEVing. :D

I sometimes refer to ICEVs as "traditional cars", as it isn't directly offensive to anyone, but it still sneaks in the fact that we are now moving on (to something better and more modern), and there are few reasons for sticking to ICEs apart from keeping doing what we're used to.

"Traditional" (to me) often indicates old habits that are not necessarily the best way to do things. As in -"Why do you make your pizza upsinde down and then flip it before it goes in the oven??" -"Oh, we've always done it like that. It's tradition".

I hate it when people invent new words for perfectly usable old ones.. remember the attempt last year to start using Ehose instead of charging cable?

Back