Need to Upgrade- Don't understand- 3.3kw or 6.6kw?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, unless I'm missing something, there is a basic misunderstanding about charging from the
beginning.

The"quick charge" (I assume) is the CHAdeMO Level III (DCQC) option, but your vehicle is capable of charging level II at 6.6 kW (input) current levels?

The EVSE that you purchase and install will negotiate with the car to determine the rate at which you will charge. If you get a 15 amp EVSE it will draw (and deliver) less power to the car than if you purchase a 30 amp EVSE.

Am I understanding? that you are concerned you do not have enough power available from your whole house electrical service to supply .... I think the 6.6 kW (input) actually draws 28 amps continuous?

This unit would require being installed on a 40 amp 240 volt breaker using 8 gauge (minimum) wire.

No offense, but I think this is really a no brainer.

If you are installing a breaker, why not 40 amp?
If you are pulling a new wire, why not 8 gauge (or even 6 gauge)?

Once you charge at 6.6 kW (6.0 to the batteries) you won't ever want to use the 3.3 kW.

Heck, if I were you, I'd put a nice modern clean true 20 amp 120 volt outlet in right next to the EVSE while you are at it.

My house is 218 years old so I have a mish-mash of odd electrical stuff.
Every time I touch anything, I try to clean up everything associated with it.

Here is my current (ha ha.. current ha ha ) setup.
Good luck.

PlugsLabeled_zps26ef4450.jpg

I agree - if you are going to be digging around and upgrading stuff just do it right the first time. Go with the 40amp breaker. Go with the bigger EVSE. You won't regret it and it future proofs your EVSE setup. Don't skimp otherwise you will be paying for more labor later on to upgrade your 3.3 system to a 6.6 or more.

Back