Negative experience with Chevy dealer post Volt test drive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksnogas2112

Just putting this out there. Last week I took a Volt for a test drive. Nice car but not what I wanted. I already ordered a Leaf but was honestly trying to get wife to Volt instead of Prius. Now to the negative, I will NEVER stop in any of the Cable-Dahmer dealerships in the KC metro for any reason ever.

Less than 24 hours after my test drive I get a call from them wanting to know when I'll bring wife to test. Then earlier this week, repeat call after wife bought Prius. Last night a third call within 10 days wanting to know if I had questions.

None of these were actual calls from the salesman who worked with me just the snot nosed pushy types.

Bottom line don't test drive with Cable-Dahmer or they will hound you to death.

Maybe someday you'll give another/diff dealership a try. Thanks for pointing out individual dealers and not generalizing. I'm not a fan of car salesman or dealers in general as I had a bad experience in my early 20's that has stuck with me today. I buy cars loaded with information and quotes now. Before the Volt was sold in IL, I bought mine from a guy in NY after many positive referrals. Flew there with my wife and had a great car buying experience and mini-vacation.

One of my concerns was getting good service here in IL since I didn't buy it from a local dealer. Before they were sold here in IL my "volt advisor" took my zipcode and called around to close dealers to see which ones had the training already. They got it early. I had a couple options. I've used a couple dealers in my area and have been extremely happy with the service that I've received. Software updates, tire rotations, battery tunnel enhancement (last week), etc.

ksnogas2112 said:
None of these were actual calls from the salesman who worked with me just the snot nosed pushy types.
Dang - if phone calls bother you that much, I can't imagine what you'd think of some of the bad experiences I've had with car dealers.

i expect that from a car salesperson.
just deal with it. maybe you can turn it into some fun, and see how low you can get them to go on price.

ksnogas2112 said:
Less than 24 hours after my test drive I get a call from them wanting to know when I'll bring wife to test.
They wanted to take your wife for a test drive??? No wonder, you were upset--I assume she is not for sale or lease? :lol:

Well, almost everything has a price!!! :lol:

Seriously though, it just sounds like a typical dealer... There really aren't very many of them - of any make - that don't suck...

Stoaty said:
ksnogas2112 said:
Less than 24 hours after my test drive I get a call from them wanting to know when I'll bring wife to test.
They wanted to take your wife for a test drive??? No wonder, you were upset--I assume she is not for sale or lease? :lol:

garygid said:
To me, three calls in 10 days sounds more like good follow-up,
after you went and drove their car.
Just what I was thinking. Beats the hell out of the usual scenario where if you aren't willing to pull out your wallet on the spot, they won't give you the time of day.

TomT said:
Well, almost everything has a price!!! :lol:

Seriously though, it just sounds like a typical dealer... There really aren't very many of them - of any make - that don't suck...

True enough. I don't understand how this dreadful business model is perpetuated.

It's their job to be persistent; that's sales. Whatever reason you give them for not buying they will try to counter with some other argument. Just tell them you bought another car, they can't argue with that, and the calls will stop.

Interesting responses.

@garygid...the Volt was noticeably different from the Leaf. I won't say better. There are definitely things about it that felt like an EV shoehorned into an ICE. The biggest positive thing about the Volt that stuck out during the drive was this one got to 35 mph and stayed there without any effort at all. Reminded my of my old Saturn SL that would run best at 40 mph. The Volt seating was definitely lower and you felt more enclosed than in the Leaf. After driving it and my wife's new Prius and really really like the fuel consumption/eco display on the Leaf the best.

This Volt was pimped out nicely with leather (faux leather?) and all the gadgets. Sticker was like 40k.

Conceptually the Volt is nice. I have to give "range extender" credit since I'm due to get my Leaf in a couple weeks and the first thing I have to do is park it for 10 days while I'm gone to Scout camp because it won't make the 115 mile journey. Even at 40 mph, the last run to the camp is all up hill and I just don't trust it to not end up FORD (found on roadside dead).

The Volt experience definitely feels to me like the person who dips his foot in the water to see if it's ok. Even if the Leaf batteries did 150 miles then I know that my next comment would be, if it only did 300 then I could take it to Branson. The bottom line is that the Leaf does exactly what it is supposed to do. It provides an electric option for local driving and in that scenario it does 95+% of my driving. Anything else either I have to take wife's car or as a family we would probably rent a minivan for extended cross country travel. You don't buy a car for the 5% use, you buy it for the 95%.

Regarding the rest of the sales experience, I've never had a dealer badger me the way they did with it being a different person calling each time. I would expect one response of, 'we decided to go with Toyota' to be enough.

On the plus side, Toyota experience at Molle Toyota was totally awesome. Very similar to experience when buying my Saturns back in the 90's/00's.

Back