New Leaf Owner in Seattle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentguy

I've been on this forum since the beginning,
but only just purchased my Nissan Leaf.

I bought a used 2011 Leaf SL fleet/rental vehicle from California with 2000 miles on it.

Happy to be on board, and I am sure I will have lots of questions.

Congratulations!
I think I saw that one online (is it blue?) when shopping for mine. I bought a used 2011 also last month and it has been great. I had a hard time justifying the new EV price not paying for itself in lack of gas bill for about 6.5 years, so I was happy to have someone else pay down the depreciation. I am interested in what made you go with a used.

West Seattle here. Leasing 2012. Only (1) level 2 charger here at Walgreens.
Is there a L 3 in capital hill?

Have fun !

Have fun with it, been using mine to commute and run errands for about 6 months. Was surprised, so far I've only driven my ICE cars a dozen times, gassed up only twice so far.

My biggest issue is the darn defogging in wet cold weather, the energy used to get the front defogger to work is a lot. I preheat before I leave, but at work I can't plug in so I have to use the heater. I have (including me) four in my car pool so the windows will fog up.

And if you have not noticed, all Wallgreens have Level 2 chargers for FREE! Fred Meyers have chargers (some) but they are pay.

mrradon said:
My biggest issue is the darn defogging in wet cold weather, the energy used to get the front defogger to work is a lot. I preheat before I leave, but at work I can't plug in so I have to use the heater. I have (including me) four in my car pool so the windows will fog up.
The fogging is caused by moisture in the car and the fact that remote or timer pre-heat uses recirculated air.

Try manual pre-heat while connected. While charging, turn the car on - two pushes of the start button without depressing the brake pedal. Push the CC Auto button, set the temperature you want, and the car will heat using fresh air.

Bill

Last winter i would preheat while charging, wait till the windows were nice and foggy and wipe them down with a towel. This seems to help with the fogging if its not actively raining

SeattleBlue said:
West Seattle here. Leasing 2012. Only (1) level 2 charger here at Walgreens.
Is there a L 3 in capital hill?

Have fun !
Here are the three Seattle area Blink L3 chargers:

South Lake Union Discovery Center – DCFC
101 Westlake Ave N
Seattle, WA 981092.

Harvard Market LLCHarvard Market LLC
1401 Broadway
Seattle, WA 98122

Fred Meyer Store # 179 Lake City Way
13000 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125

Harvard Market is the one on Capital Hill.

silentguy said:
but only just purchased my Nissan Leaf.

I bought a used 2011 Leaf SL fleet/rental vehicle from California with 2000 miles on it.

hunger said:
$22k
8,000 miles

congrats and welcome to the club... and come play along here, if you're not already:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveHanson said:
Fellow Seattlite here. :) What did you guys pay for your used vehicles?

$21,799 2000 Miles
It's an SL with NAV and the Quick Charge Level 3 port.

It's pretty well brand new.

So far no issues, and the batteries appear to be fine.
I've charged to both 80% and 100% and am getting the correct ranges.

I think I got a pretty good deal

Hmm, average transaction price on a new Leaf is $32,883.

$32,883 - $7500 = $25,383 and no sales tax.

Used SL $21,799 * 1.089 sales tax = $23,739.

$1,644 difference. What am I missing here, why not buy a new one?

TurboFroggy said:

One of the reasons to consider used is if you are not expecting a tax liability large enough to be worth the difference in price between new and used.
That can be the difference of ~3k-10k depending on your tax liability. Some (like me), think that is enough $ to make the difference. The difference in mine would have been at least $5k

I prefer buying new, but recoginize that a big part of that is emotional. I believe that buying a 1-2 year old car, still under factory warranty, to avoid paying depreciated value is much less risk than dealerships would like you to think, especially with the ability to look at vehicle history. It's up to the consumer to decide on risk vs.value.

hunger said:
TurboFroggy said:

One of the reasons to consider used is if you are not expecting a tax liability large enough to be worth the difference in price between new and used.
That can be the difference of ~3k-10k depending on your tax liability. Some (like me), think that is enough $ to make the difference. The difference in mine would have been at least $5k

I prefer buying new, but recoginize that a big part of that is emotional. I believe that buying a 1-2 year old car, still under factory warranty, to avoid paying depreciated value is much less risk than dealerships would like you to think, especially with the ability to look at vehicle history. It's up to the consumer to decide on risk vs.value.

You would get around the liability with Leasing and then buying in a month or two. This would give you the new car for just a couple of hundred dollars more. I have seen used LEAFs trying to sell for more than $25,000 and I often wonder what their logic is.

TurboFroggy said:

2 reasons;

the tax liability and the associated interest lost/added to loan etc.

2nd and biggest reason. the option to lease. great deals on 2012's for sure but I think the 2014 LEAF is the one that will generate a new level of excitement. do you want to be committed for more money and time on a purchase?

ztanos said:
You would get around the liability with Leasing and then buying in a month or two. This would give you the new car for just a couple of hundred dollars more. I have seen used LEAFs trying to sell for more than $25,000 and I often wonder what their logic is.
Yes. I think the line is about $25,000 or so. If you are going to spend more than that you should consider a new one, if you expect to see the tax benefit.

I did almost pull the trigger on one of those nice lease deals before I bought my used Leaf. This is not a bad idea for alot of people. In the end, I was too nervous about the lease limitations and the wear my young kids would be putting on the car. So far, in my first three weeks with the used Leaf, I am very happy with it. I have found that our family is using it much more than expected, and it looks like we would have been pushing the lease milage limitations. Besides my daily commute, we are using the Leaf for almost all travel. The poor Suburban sits neglected in the carport.

Tell your suburban it will be used for the trip to Grandma's house
http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2012/11/nissan-leaf-commercial-suggestions.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hunger said:
ztanos said:
Yes. I think the line is about $25,000 or so. If you are going to spend more than that you should consider a new one, if you expect to see the tax benefit.

I did almost pull the trigger on one of those nice lease deals before I bought my used Leaf. This is not a bad idea for alot of people. In the end, I was too nervous about the lease limitations and the wear my young kids would be putting on the car. So far, in my first three weeks with the used Leaf, I am very happy with it. I have found that our family is using it much more than expected, and it looks like we would have been pushing the lease milage limitations. Besides my daily commute, we are using the Leaf for almost all travel. The poor Suburban sits neglected in the carport.

hunger said:

Depends on where you live. Here in GA we get the $7500 credit and then we get a GA credit for $5000. That essentially drops the car to $23ish with some of the quotes I have been getting from the local dealers. I wouldn't buy a used one for $25 when I can get a new one for $23. Just saying.

ztanos said:
hunger said:

Depends on where you live. Here in GA we get the $7500 credit and then we get a GA credit for $5000. That essentially drops the car to $23ish with some of the quotes I have been getting from the local dealers. I wouldn't buy a used one for $25 when I can get a new one for $23. Just saying.
No argument here. If you can get a new Leaf SL for a net price of about 23k, you should storm down there now and get one.

Back