New Member - PLEASE HELP

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accolo

Hi,

My name is Amy and I recently acquired a 2021 Nissan Leaf. Last night, I was at the charging station waiting my turn with battery power at 20%. I thought the car was in Park, but it lurched forward, every warning light seemed to flash for several minutes and I was unable to even turn the car off. When I was finally able to turn the car off, I could not release the door to the battery or lock the doors. I took a Lyft ride home. I assume the cold weather has something to do with all of this. Today, the high is supposed to be 39-40 degrees. Tomorrow's high about 50 degrees. Should I try to see if the car responds better in warmer weather, or have it towed to the dealership?

It is going to be hard to advise. BUT the fact it moved forward and the charge door will not open, suggest it is not going fully in to park. Warmer weather might help. Checking the little 12 volt battery under the hood is another place to look.
The trouble codes would be helpful.
Without knowing what climate area you are in, I can't say more. I am where it dips to -20F and my Leaf still functions. SO I doubt it is whole problem. May be a contributing factor.

It is going to be hard to advise. BUT the fact it moved forward and the charge door will not open, suggest it is not going fully in to park. Warmer weather might help. Checking the little 12 volt battery under the hood is another place to look.
Without knowing what climate area you are in, I can't say more. I am where it dips to -20F and my Leaf still functions. SO I doubt it is whole problem. May be a contributing factor.
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I live in the Denver, CO area. I keep the car outside all day and night. Over the MLK holiday, temps were subzero, around minus 1 to minus three. It has warmed up some, but seems to hover in the mid twenties during the day and 12 to mid teens at night.

Nothing to be harmed by trying it when it has warmed. IF it still doesn't "wake up and fly right" I would try disconnecting the 12 volt battery under the hood for 30 sec (only have to remove the negative cable) and re connect it to see if that "re-boots" the ECM's. IF that doesn't help, you are likely going to need to get it to someone who can read the trouble codes and diagnose further.

Welcome!

Based on similar experiences I've read about in the past on this forum, it sounds like the issue could be with your 12 volt battery. You may want to have it checked out with your local mechanic or the dealer if your warranty is still valid.

Nothing to be harmed by trying it when it has warmed. IF it still doesn't "wake up and fly right" I would try disconnecting the 12 volt battery under the hood for 30 sec (only have to remove the negative cable) and re connect it to see if that "re-boots" the ECM's. IF that doesn't help, you are likely going to need to get it to someone who can read the trouble codes and diagnose further.
In my experience, powering the 12V down and up again like this for an ECU reset causes the DTC list to light up like a Christmas tree. I do recommend this approach as well, but only if you have a working install of LeafSpy at hand and know how to go through and reset all the DTCs afterwards. If that sounds outside your comfort zone then I recommend calling a friend or taking it to a shop.

This YT video where the guy deliberately freezes EVs then charges them shows that it takes some time for the heaters to do their job:

In my experience, powering the 12V down and up again like this for an ECU reset causes the DTC list to light up like a Christmas tree. I do recommend this approach as well, but only if you have a working install of LeafSpy at hand and know how to go through and reset all the DTCs afterwards. If that sounds outside your comfort zone then I recommend calling a friend or taking it to a shop.

This YT video where the guy deliberately freezes EVs then charges them shows that it takes some time for the heaters to do their job:

In your experience does it lock the vehicle from driving or just set a bunch of codes? I can see a bunch of codes, but to be honest have not tried it on my Leaf. All other cars I have worked on, it will often clear codes and re-set the system. Yes It would be best to clear them out with a scan tool. But it would tend to indicate you couldn't "jump start" like it tells you in the manual to do, nor replace a dead battery.
Others have mentioned "codes" but say they go away after a week or so.
I'm just trying to get her car home or to a shop, without resorting to a roll back truck. Right now I don't think she can move it, so it is a chance I would take. It shouldn't do any harm.
BTW, I had mine out in -18F weather after sitting in a cold (unheated detached garage when the temp dipped to -20). Yes, it said reduced power and had the turtle light on, but it did turn on and drive. I think my temp was less then the guy in the video, IIRC.

In your experience does it lock the vehicle from driving or just set a bunch of codes?

Just codes. Yes agree, power-cycling 12V even without LeafSpy is worth a try if car won't drive.

FWIW, a battery swap can be performed with the vehicle ON power enabled, as the 14V DC-DC converter supplies the rail while the lead acid is disconnected. So this is the quickest/easiest way to swap the Pb :)

Hi,

My name is Amy and I recently acquired a 2021 Nissan Leaf. Last night, I was at the charging station waiting my turn with battery power at 20%. I thought the car was in Park, but it lurched forward, every warning light seemed to flash for several minutes and I was unable to even turn the car off. When I was finally able to turn the car off, I could not release the door to the battery or lock the doors. I took a Lyft ride home. I assume the cold weather has something to do with all of this. Today, the high is supposed to be 39-40 degrees. Tomorrow's high about 50 degrees. Should I try to see if the car responds better in warmer weather, or have it towed to the dealership?
Hi Amy, I am in Denver, 2019 LEAF. No problems with -15 F weather. Sometimes if I turn it on and off and on again real fast it gets 'confused' and the Park/Drive/Neutral doesn't respond. I just shut it off and wait about a minute, then it is fine.
The battery reset is an option. Last year I accidentaly left my emergence blinker lights on which drained the 12-volt battery and had to get a 'jump' with battery jumper cables. When it came back on the display flashed a series of messages for about a minute and then was fine.
Hope you got your situation fixed! 😀

12 volt battery often fails when it is cold especially if it is the original lead acid type. I would recommend replacing the battery with AGM type, not much more expensive but better in every way but price. You could definitely try jump starting the battery or just remove it and take it to a local auto parts store where it can be tested and charged up fully or a replacement battery can be obtained. If your car is under the original 3 year warranty they may replace the battery for free. You may even be able to get a free tow to the dealership for Nissan roadside assistance. There are lots of options. Hope things work out for you.

Hi Amy, I am in Denver, 2019 LEAF. No problems with -15 F weather. Sometimes if I turn it on and off and on again real fast it gets 'confused' and the Park/Drive/Neutral doesn't respond. I just shut it off and wait about a minute, then it is fine.
The battery reset is an option. Last year I accidentaly left my emergence blinker lights on which drained the 12-volt battery and had to get a 'jump' with battery jumper cables. When it came back on the display flashed a series of messages for about a minute and then was fine.
Hope you got your situation fixed! 😀
Hi, Thank you for your suggestions.

12 volt battery often fails when it is cold especially if it is the original lead acid type. I would recommend replacing the battery with AGM type, not much more expensive but better in every way but price. You could definitely try jump starting the battery or just remove it and take it to a local auto parts store where it can be tested and charged up fully or a replacement battery can be obtained. If your car is under the original 3 year warranty they may replace the battery for free. You may even be able to get a free tow to the dealership for Nissan roadside assistance. There are lots of options. Hope things work out for you.
Hi, Thank you. From most of the replies, it seems I have a problem with the 12V volt battery.

It turned out that the 12V battery was dead and had to be replaced. Thank you all for yor comments and suggestions.

Are you able to get the car home? Please update when you know what caused it or if you are able to get it to "start".
Hi, Tow truck driver was able to jump the 12V battery so I could open the charge door and charge the main battery so I could try the car home and get it to the dealership the next morning. The battery was still under warranty, so they replaced it for free.

Hi,

I had something similar happen inside my garage and it was definitely the small 12 volt lead acid battery that was at fault. I think that time I just charged the battery. But I do also use a phone app called leaf spy pro which means you can clear any faults from the car's computer. But cold weather does hit lead acid batteries and I agree it was probably the cold weather. The car needs the 12 Volt battery to run the computer at start up. Once started the big ev battery starts to charge the small 12 volt battery. That is my understanding anyway. I also found it a bit alarming at the time tbh. I keep a watch on the battery voltage with my multimeter now as I don't use the car very much. I was thinking of putting in a bigger capacity battery but am managing OK at present just checking and charging it if I have not used it very much. You can get cheap voltage monitors that plug into the cigarette lighter plug, so if the voltage falls below 12 volts then need to charge it. New 12Volt battery might be needed if the old battery is not holding its charge very well.

It turned out that the 12V battery was dead and had to be replaced. Thank you all for yor comments and suggestions.
Mine did the same thing. I think dealers keep the 12v battery charged enough for to drive it off the lot. On day 2 ours did the same thing. Fortunately a jump and new battery fixed it.

Back