My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarryE

This post is to share my limited experience with purchasing the Leaf with forum members.

I started building electric bicycles about three years ago to learn about electronics and electric motors. My eventual goal was to build an electric car. Actually my electric bikes meet 95% of my transportation needs. However the bicycles meet 0% of my wife's transportation needs.

When I read about Nissan’s Leaf, I decided purchasing a commercially available EV would be better than building my own electric car and maybe even a little bit cheaper. I got on the list to purchase a Leaf April 21, 2010 and I am scheduled for delivery sometime in December this year. It’s been a long wait!

I paid the $100 for AeroViroment’s to do a charging installation assessment and they provided a quote for the work. The estimate for a custom installation was $4,200. My first reaction to the estimated was to forget about the Leaf, I wasn't willing to pay that much for a charging station.

After the initial shock wore off I started doing my homework. I got an estimate for a local electrician to install the 240v 40amp line into my garage. I went on e-bay and purchased the AeroVionment EVSE. The charging station is installed and ready for the Leaf for a total price of $1,359.00.

The Nissan dealer sales person I am buying the Leaf from is very knowledgeable about the Leaf and seems to be an EV enthusiast. I remember buying a Honda Insight Hydride in 2000, the sales person and dealership were clueless. I’m glad this isn’t the case with the Leaf.

My wife and I took a test drive of the Leaf last month. Both of us were impressed with the car and are looking forward to delivery.

BarryE

Thanks to this forum it looks like I will be saving lots of money by purchasing my own charging station and having my local electrician install it.
Glad to hear you are excited!

Or upgrade the one in your trunk for under $300 and save some money. There seems to be an addiction to overpaying for an EVSE that will be a fraction of the cost in a few years.

I paid the $100 because I mistakenly thought that Nissan would not sell me the Leaf without getting an estimate from AeroVironment. Shame on me!

I researched the various EVSE's available and decided to go with AeroVironment. AeroViroment EVSE don't seem to have the glitches that other unites have and Nissan has put their stamp of approval on them.

My plan is to get the upgrade to the 110 EVSE as a backup, after I get the car.

Barry

BarryE said:
I paid the $100 because I mistakenly thought that Nissan would not sell me the Leaf without getting an estimate from AeroVironment. Shame on me!

Don't kick yourself. I did this too. The AV quote was really integrated into the whole process, especially at the beginning before there was even talk of getting a "waiver".

The important thing is you're learning now.

+1 for the EVSEUpgrade. I have the Rev. 1 and it's been our main EVSE for half a year now.

Back