"New Traction Battery $2,000?"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graycenphil

Is this possible? Is it scam, aftermarket, something else?

Ebay ad, from a dealer in Las Vegas,says:

WE CAN OFFER TRACTION BATTERY REPLACEMENT TO A NEW ONE - NEVER USED FOR ONLY $1999 FOR THIS CAR

make your offer for a car with NEW battery.

This is the ebay page, the battery part is near the bottom:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Leaf-SL-LOW-MILES-NAVIGATION-BLUETOOTH-CARWINGS-SMARTKEY-REAR-CAM-SAT-RADIO-/161198081244?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25882784dc&item=161198081244&pt=US_Cars_Trucks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody know anything about this?

I can't speak to the battery but I wouldn't be interested in that car. It's a salvage title, but most importantly: look at the misalignment of the hood and the charge port cover. This indicates some shoddy repair work, and if they're willing to let that go, being the most visible part of the car, what else did they cut corners on?

This is very fascinating. They are obviously a place that rebuilds salvage cars. So the way I see it, there are three theories:

• 1) They have a "almost new" battery from another salvaged car they can use.
  • 2)Because they are in the business of repairing cars, they can buy the battery from Nissan and this is the price they've been given.
  • 3)They obviously do a lot of work on hybrids. It is possible this text is just left over from a re-used listing for a Prius or something, and they forgot to take it out.

I wonder which scenario it is.

Devin said:
I can't speak to the battery but I wouldn't be interested in that car. It's a salvage title, but most importantly: look at the misalignment of the hood and the charge port cover. This indicates some shoddy repair work, and if they're willing to let that go, being the most visible part of the car, what else did they cut corners on?

It looks like maybe the bumper cover/bumper bar and/or whatever they attach to are sitting a little high. Either that, or everything forward of the doors is tweaked a little bit, and they went for door and rear hood alignment over the way the front of the hood sits.

Edit: I take it back. The hood alignment on the drivers side is horrible where it meets the A panel. Funny how you only get to see that side of the car once, and never in close up. Also the passenger side fender is sitting up a tad high, and the gap between it and the A panel is insufficient. I would probably leave this one well alone.

You folks are good. I hadn't even noticed any of that. But the car is a non-issue for me anyway as it's 2,000 miles away. But it is a goo price, and if I brought along my generator....

I was more curious about that battery, having seen much higher guesses on replacement prices.

As I read this they will replace the battery in the car for sale for $2000. That implys they will keep the old battery.

adric22 said:
  • 3)They obviously do a lot of work on hybrids. It is possible this text is just left over from a re-used listing for a Prius or something, and they forgot to take it out.

My money's on this, especially since they use the terminology "traction battery" which can be found peppered all over the Prius manual and is a more "Priusey" way to talk about it. Generally LEAF people say things like high voltage/HV battery. Also, traction batteries for a Prius are in that $2000 ball park, last time I looked.

Everybody knows there's a guy in Las Vegas who buys/sells (salvage) EV/hybrids (and advertises on eBay), right? Also, I recently heard about an overturned trailer of (new) Leafs in CA that was purchased by said dealer in Las Vegas as a "salvage".
It doesn't take a leap of faith to believe this could be legit...

camasleaf said:
What kind of plug do they have on the EVSE? It does not look like a 2011-2012?
It looks like the standard unit that comes with the 2013 models... They are smaller, and better designed, IMO.

Back