Newbie here from Canada: looking at getting my first and only vehicle, will a used leaf work for me?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I contacted the Quebec dealership and they want $23,994 For the car that's with taxes and shipping to my door. According to what everyone is saying on here about the expense I'm wondering if it's even worth it now :( I'm trying so hard to get an all electric car and take a step forward to the future even without my parents support which really means the world to me.

Is it worth it?

If I'm not getting the Nissan Leaf I'll be getting the Honda Civic since my parents want me to get that vehicle. I will be in debt of $10-13,000 for 12-15 months.

RonDawg said:
AshleyGoingGreen said:
Couldn't find a way to post the pics so I'm just posting the link to the add instead. Hope this is okay.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Nissan/LEAF/St-Hyacinthe/Quebec/5_26955096_20110819084616970/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=17_15_28

That's fine as long as the link remains active. You can always use it to practice your French :lol:
Saint-Hyacinthe is just outside Montreal without knowing your approx location in N.B. I would guess it is at least 400Km away.
If you are willing to travel that far, I would plan a trip and look at several. The other factor being that the 12 month/ 20K warranty that dealership offers is transferable to your local certified Nissan dealership.
If I were you I would hook up with someone in the Montreal area with Leafspy and research carefully.
Try posting in the local/ regional discussions section of this forum, I am sure someone in that area will help you.
Long trip home if something doesn't work right.

I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time.

I can not purchase this vehicle, I wish and pray to god that someday I will become apart of this form of any EV form but for right now without my whole families and my boyfriends blessing I can't go through with it. Especially since all of you are saying the prices are very expensive here in Canada. I will be deleting my account.

Thank you again for everything, sorry again.

AshleyGoingGreen said:

I can not purchase this vehicle, I wish and pray to god that someday I will become apart of this form of any EV form but for right now without my whole families and my boyfriends blessing I can't go through with it. Especially since all of you are saying the prices are very expensive here in Canada. I will be deleting my account.

Please don't delete your account. You may have met a "temporary" roadblock. Keep reading and learning. Soon the prices will be more reasonable. There will be several models of 200 mi EV's coming in the next few years. Used prices on the 80 mi EV's will drop substantially. The same dealer who today wants CA$20000, will be much more willing to lower the price once the car (or cars) have sat on their lot for 6-12 mo. I have a friend who flew to Florida to purchase a used Cadillac. The dealers get tons of these as the snowbirds retire and stop driving. They practically gave it away (it was cheaper for him to fly one way and drive it back 3000 mi!!!!!!!) than buy locally. Recently, he bought a Ford Focus Electric from a small rural dealership that sells mostly trucks. Again, the dealer couldn't wait to get rid of that dumb little EV that nobody wanted and had sat for more than a year.

Start saving $50/mo toward your EV fund. Watch the fund grow and keep your faith. It will happen. I paid more than $35000 CASH for my Leaf in 2011 (waaaayyy too expensive). However, I had 20 years to save for it. The few dollars that I put in the stock market back in the 1990's have increased 10-fold. So you can say that I paid about $4000 for my Leaf, but I just paid for it back in 1990. Hopefully, you won't have to wait quite that long.

Reddy said:
AshleyGoingGreen said:

Please don't delete your account. You may have met a "temporary" roadblock. Keep reading and learning....
Unfortunately it looks like it may already be too late :( The OPs ID is just grey and I cannot click on it, it must have been deleted.....
I've never really seen a forum where you can delete your ID, people generally just stop posting and checking it.....

call me I am a florida dealer and have sold 30 leaf's in the past few month's, easy to export to canada, great price, 239 7727800

towman239 said:
call me I am a florida dealer and have sold 30 leaf's in the past few month's, easy to export to canada, great price, 239 7727800
Thanks for the info! As I mentioned above, I'm in the process of creating a website dedicated to used EVs. Your business, Broeder's Sales Inc. in Cape Coral, FL, doesn't seem to have a website that I can scrape, however. Hopefully, for additional exposure, you will consider listing your EVs on my site when it's ready. Please PM me if that would be of interest.

I recently purchased a 2012 SL with ~ 25,000 miles in like new condition (except the battery) for $9500 US. I've put 1700 miles on it in 3.5 months. I have an OpenEVSE charger (L2) wired to a 30 amp 240 volt ganged breaker. I used the L1 charger for a couple of weeks and used a DC/QC charger once - mainly for the experience. Totals on the OE charger shows ~400 KWH. That's less than $50 of electricity.

I live in Southeast Texas (HOT!) and the Leaf spent it's life in this area. I expect to get a replacement battery before the warranty is out as the Leaf has 9 bars at this time. Two hot summers should get that last bar! It's not guaranteed, but will be "icing on the cake" if I do.

I can consistently get 55 - 60 miles of range on a charge - seems almost regardless of how I drive (??). However, I do take it to the very lowest limit of remaining miles (had to push it down my street one time). I can do this in my area because there are dozens of charging stations and I use it mainly for local errands. I do have a 25 mile round trip commute to work - but only go in to the office once/week. I can do lunch and errands without any worry.

I own a high mileage Suburban for trips to my rural property (big loads). I do not use it around town anymore. I figure I've saved over 100 gallons of gasoline in the 3.5 months!

Very happy with the full features of the Leaf and especially the way it has maintained it's freshness - like a new car. Also, more fun to drive than a Prius (my Daughter has one). I'd say MUCH more fun. The Suburban now feels like a whale that has Parkinson's disease (no transmission shifts in the Leaf). The only disappointment is not having the 6KW charger - that was available in the 2013 + models, I believe. I would be able to charge in almost half the time with the OE charger.

To be truthful, I bought the Leaf for the battery - and will eventually use if for off-grid backup at my rural property (I'm a tinkerer). However, I drive it everywhere that is possible within the limits of passengers and miles because I enjoy it.

Hope my limited experience helps.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
They take your old battery when you get a warranty replacement.

Waiting for CHAdeMO bi-directional DC flow and hi voltage MPPT charger - don't need two batteries. Will be a while anyway for technology to advance. Meanwhile, enjoying the ride!

Back