Next San Diego EVent: Sat, Aug 9, 2014, CANCELLED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
walterbays said:
Yes, but how many Leafs can do them all? First, this is the same Santa Ysabel charger that has been on the verge of opening many times before, with Blink equipment that hasn't established a very good track record elsewhere coming on line on time. Still, if someone reports by Friday from on site that the charger is operational then likely that end of it is good to go for Saturday.

Of course! I guess we'll know this week.

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, a LEAF can do them all, if you quick charge in Santa Ysabel, and quick charge in San Juan Capistrano (81 miles between the two, downhill 4000 feet elevation).
Santa Ysabel is only 3000 ft - have to get close to Julian to hit 4000 ft in case anyone is planning on that extra 1000 ft of elevation to get them to San Juan Capistrano!

walterbays said:
Yes, but how many Leafs can do them all? First, this is the same Santa Ysabel charger that has been on the verge of opening many times before, with Blink equipment that hasn't established a very good track record elsewhere coming on line on time. Still, if someone reports by Friday from on site that the charger is operational then likely that end of it is good to go for Saturday.
Will definitely want to confirm that the QC is operational before heading up next weekend. Otherwise there's really no point in going up there.

I figure that an 80% charge should get you to San Juan Capistrano from Santa Ysabel (drive no faster than 60 mph on the freeway and recover as much energy as possible on the way down the mountain). So figure 30 min per QC 3 hours if you plan on leaving by 1pm - that gets 6 cars there on QC juice. There are 3 L2s (1 handicap), but unless you live in Poway you'll probably need 4+ hours of L2 to make it to to San Juan Capistrano. Probably best off to stagger cars on L2 and also to have some cars stop at the Oceanside Transit Center to make the gap. It's 30 miles from the Oceanside Transit Center to San Juan Capistrano with absolutely NO charging in between - you probably want 5 bars to make it or be willing to drive very slowly.

walterbays said:
But then how many cars can the low power EVoasis unit charge? A car making the run from Santa Ysabel will arrive pretty much empty. Cars driving up from San Diego or down from OC/LA would need less to make the return trip. From 2-7, in 5 hours EVoasis could charge 5 cars that need a lot, or 10 cars that need a typical charge, or 15 cars that need a little.
This could be a bigger problem, but perhaps it'd be a good idea for San Diego cars to top-off first in Oceanside before heading the rest of the way up. Might even be fun to have a bunch of cars stop there regardless and caravan across Pendleton to the meet.

No matter what happens it should be fun!

Checked the fast charger yesterday afternoon (Sunday). I was in the ICE, but it took my Blink card and prompted me to connect! The video screen is impressive and there's even music playing behind the explanatory video introducing the concept for the visitors. Too bad it's in the middle of nowhere as it is REALLY good advertizing for EV's! Working today and can't go up tomorrow, but I'm sure Tony can check it out (or we'll see Randy there soon!) We'll see you on Saturday!

FYI, we made the trip from SDSU area with a full "tank" and 10k miles on the batteries. We arrived with 14 miles on the GOM and two bars showing. Julian has no plans for any EVSE's and Wynola had issues with theirs as well. Someone should hit up one of the wineries up there to put in at least a L-2. ;-)

KMG365 said:
Checked the fast charger yesterday afternoon (Sunday). I was in the ICE, but it took my Blink card and prompted me to connect! The video screen is impressive and there's even music playing behind the explanatory video introducing the concept for the visitors. Too bad it's in the middle of nowhere as it is REALLY good advertizing for EV's! Working today and can't go up tomorrow, but I'm sure Tony can check it out (or we'll see Randy there soon!) We'll see you on Saturday!

FYI, we made the trip from SDSU area with a full "tank" and 10k miles on the batteries. We arrived with 14 miles on the GOM and two bars showing. Julian has no plans for any EVSE's and Wynola had issues with theirs as well. Someone should hit up one of the wineries up there to put in at least a L-2. ;-)

Awesome. Thanks.

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
Yes, a LEAF can do them all, if you quick charge in Santa Ysabel, and quick charge in San Juan Capistrano (81 miles between the two, downhill 4000 feet elevation).
Santa Ysabel is only 3000 ft - have to get close to Julian to hit 4000 ft in case anyone is planning on that extra 1000 ft of elevation to get them to San Juan Capistrano!

walterbays said:
Will definitely want to confirm that the QC is operational before heading up next weekend. Otherwise there's really no point in going up there.

I figure that an 80% charge should get you to San Juan Capistrano from Santa Ysabel (drive no faster than 60 mph on the freeway and recover as much energy as possible on the way down the mountain). So figure 30 min per QC 3 hours if you plan on leaving by 1pm - that gets 6 cars there on QC juice. There are 3 L2s (1 handicap), but unless you live in Poway you'll probably need 4+ hours of L2 to make it to to San Juan Capistrano. Probably best off to stagger cars on L2 and also to have some cars stop at the Oceanside Transit Center to make the gap. It's 30 miles from the Oceanside Transit Center to San Juan Capistrano with absolutely NO charging in between - . . . . . . . . . . snip
I swear - everytime I've stopped at Oceanside Transit Center, there was no less than 1/4 of the L2's that were ICED from everything between SUV's to compacts. Not wanting to be ahole dime dropper EV owner, I've never bothered to run down enforcement - if there even is any.

hill said:
I swear - everytime I've stopped at Oceanside Transit Center, there was no less than 1/4 of the L2's that were ICED from everything between SUV's to compacts. Not wanting to be ahole dime dropper EV owner, I've never bothered to run down enforcement - if there even is any.
Yeah, but luckily they had the foresight to install 7 stations - it's the biggest single cluster of EVSEs in San Diego County - only 2 other sites match it in numbers - The Grand Del Mar and Balboa Park have installs with 7 EVSEs. Balboa Park could actually use more given how much use those sites get with car2go...

Houston. Santa Ysabel Base here. The Eagle has landed. :cool:

DCFastChargeStaYsabel-L.jpg

I posted this in the San Diego EVSE thread, but thought I'd mention it here as well in case some were only following it here. We charged up in Santa Ysabel this afternoon and it worked like a charm! Should we start a whole new thread to talk about the details of this EVSE? I took some notes that might be useful for those who plan to make the trip up. The mountains and the desert are all now open to us now! WooooHooooo!! :p

KMG365 said:
I took some notes that might be useful for those who plan to make the trip up.
Yes, please share! Is having 4 bars in Ramona good enough to make it to Santa Ysabel? Could make it with 3?

drees said:
Yes, please share! Is having 4 bars in Ramona good enough to make it to Santa Ysabel? Could make it with 3?
Copy. I'll put it here so it's available and whoever can move it if needed:

This was the second trip to Santa Ysabel we took just to see if we could make it.

1st trip was starting from SDSU (~240 feet elev.) with a full charge, being somewhat careful about max speeds (~63mph on the freeway and just about the posted limits on the rest of the roads on the way up the hill). The trip was about 50 miles, non-eco mode and air-conditioning on the whole way (just under 10K miles on the 2012 LEAF). We arrived in Santa Ysabel with 14 miles on the GOM and two bars remaining, but I don't recall how many we had going through Ramona (1430 feet elev.). Best part was running into the Blink crew who came up to work on the DCFC and trailered their LEAF as their "Engineer" swore to them that their LEAF wouldn't make the trip from Mission Valley! They pulled up in their truck and LEAF on a trailer and were shocked to see us already plugged in and nursing away on one of the L-2's.

"Where did you come from?"

"About five miles from where you started . . . with plenty of charge to spare. No worries!" :lol:

2nd trip today started from SDSU with about 7 miles short of a full "tank", was somewhat careful about max speeds, but drove more with the flow of traffic. Traffic was heavier so it was sometimes faster and sometimes slower than posted speeds. The intention was to make the trip without being too obsessed with "watching my speed" and just driving with the flow to get a good feel for a "normal" trip up the hill. We arrived in Santa Ysabel with 3 miles on the GOM and one bar remaining (2942 feet elev.).

We hooked up to the DCFC to charge and the Blink unit told me that my LEAF told it that I still had 17% charge remaining. :!:

It took exactly 20 minutes to get to what it told me was 80% charge (starting from what it thought was already a 17% SOC) and shut off. I "started" the LEAF and it showed six bars of temp., eight bars of charge and 52 miles on the GOM (recall this was based on the recent climb up the hill, so not too far off had I continued up the mountain). I restarted the charge process and took it to 100% trying to watch how long it took as it ramped the charge rate down. It drew a crowd and I was distracted talking to people (and the screen with the charge stats disappeared after a few minutes), but I believe it said it took 37 minutes to get to 100% charge (and seven bars of temp. showing). I forgot to start my own stopwatch to track the 80%-100% charge cycle, but it seemed to get to 96-97% in no more than 20 mins and the last 15-20 were just to get those last few percent of charge. That might also be because of the higher original starting SOC that the LEAF reported to the Blink unit, but it read the 79% SOC it assumed I started the second session with, so who knows. It seems like a 90-95% charge session would be all you'd need and would take less than 40 minutes to go from all but empty to 95%. Perhaps one of the EE's can explain that part to us. ;)

We headed back down the hill with 12 bars and 70 miles on the GOM (from previous uphill estimates). We hit Ramona with 108 on the GOM and down a bar (or two?) and at the signal light at the bottom of the SR-67 hill in Lakeside with 101 on the GOM. ;-)

We got home (SDSU area) with seven bars and 62 miles on the GOM (with six bars of temp).

Julian (4226 feet elev.) is only seven miles up the road, but another 1284 feet in elevation gain. Still no EVSE's in that area.

Our next foray will be to see if we can get from Borrego Springs back to Santa Ysabel with a full charge. We should be able to get to Borrego with a LOT of electrons left over as we'd only need to get to the crest at Ranchita (4065 feet elev.: 21 miles and 1123 feet gain) then the "glass elevator" is 12 miles almost straight down to 600 feet elevation. It wouldn't take too long even at a trickle charge to replenish the loss and if we can make it back up the glass elevator to Ranchita with a few bars left, it's almost all downhill from there back down to Santa Ysabel and 20 minutes later we're on our way home with plenty of bars to spare. :p

The next LEAF meeting should be a wine tasting expedition at one of the wineries up in the mountains who has access to 220! :mrgreen:

KMG365 said:
I'll put it here so it's available and whoever can move it if needed
Thanks! My trip is almost identical in distance.

KMG365 said:
We arrived in Santa Ysabel with 3 miles on the GOM and one bar remaining (2942 feet elev.).

We hooked up to the DCFC to charge and the Blink unit told me that my LEAF told it that I still had 17% charge remaining.
I'm guessing you didn't get the LBW yet? If not, you were probably very close since LBW should be right around 17% charge remaining.

Either way - looks like it should be easy to make it up from much of San Diego county, especially if one drives carefully. Too bad you didn't make a note of how many bars you had passing through Ramona!

drees said:
KMG365 said:
I went on LBW about 6 miles on the GOM, but the last few miles into Santa Ysabel are downhill. ;-)
OK, that makes more sense. :) You going up this Saturday?
Yes, Leslie and I will be there on Saturday. I'm working 24 hours today and Friday and running all over the county Thursday. Coronado to Solana Beach City Hall for morning meeting (plug in to their EVSE's at City Hall), head to afternoon meeting downtown at the US Grant (plug in at Balboa Park and grab a car2go to park for free downtown), head home. :)

Link to the beginning of this conversation.

Saturday
Nov 17, 2012
10am - 1pm

Start planning your "long haul" adventure to Santa Ysabel to celebrate the first public DC charger in San Diego. From the 15 freeway at Poway Road, it is 34 miles ONE WAY, with a 3000 foot elevation rise.

Attention Tesla drivers !!!! Free breakfast for every Tesla that shows up to this event! Sorry, no charging will be available on site for Tesla cars.

Attention OC and LA county LEAFers; I will pay $100 cash to the longest drive in a LEAF to this event !!!! The DC charger in San Juan Capistrano is operational, so it's 82 miles to Santa Ysabel from there. The user fees will be with a Chargepoint card or a credit card (by calling the 800 number). The Nissan dealer is across the street (with L2 charging) and Costco is a short walk down the hill nearby.

The EV Oasis party is in San Juan Capistrano is also Nov 17, 2012 from 2pm to 7pm. Yes, a LEAF can do them all, if you quick charge in Santa Ysabel, and quick charge in San Juan Capistrano (81 miles between the two, downhill 4000 feet elevation).

I will have my new Toyota Rav4 at both events!

We have reservations for 12 people in a private room that can hold 22 at:

Apple County Restaurant
Next to the charging stations
Santa Ysabel, California
760-765-3495

There are three Blink L2 chargers that we can split into 6 (we need two additional splitters in addition to mine) in addition to the singular DC charger. Unfortunately, counting on that DC charger to be completely operational isn't wise. It will just be a plus if it is.

I will allow charging at my house at 15 freeway & Poway Road, about 34 miles away. There are chargers enroute on Poway Road at Walgreens (30 miles away) and Poway Mossy Nissan (29 miles away) and three Blink L2's across from Starbucks in Ramona (16 miles away, requires Blink card).

There really is no reason that you can't make it to Santa Ysabel from the coast, but the extremes of Oceanside and south of downtown might need a little charging enroute. Getting home will be EASY with a 3000 foot loss of elevation!!

We'll register folks, so we can dedicate the correct amount of charging time that each car would need to get home. It will also give us a head count for the restaurant. Examples:

A. Walter Cronkite - 52 miles each way, need 8 kWh
B. Sally Ride plus 2 - 66 miles each way, need 2 kWh (charging at Tony's / Poway / Ramona enroute)

Just reply with an email with your registration.

1. Tony Williams - 35 miles each way, no charging needed (zero kWh)

2. Craig Bentley (I'm your Walter Cronkite example - 52 miles each way, need 8 kWh)

3. Jamie Edmonds/KMG-365 - 50 miles each way (SDSU area), need 2-8kWh (I can do Ramona/Poway, etc to get home)

4. Lynn Laumann plus 1 - 50 miles each way, need 8 kWh

5. drees - 49 miles each way - up to 8 kWh to get back home

6. derkraut - 42 miles each way - I'll need about 5kw or so to make it back without going into LBW

7. Gary/gmuzhik - 54 miles - needs charging going up.

8. Andy Hoskinson: 48 miles each way – 6-8 kWh needed

9. Pchilds + 1: 55 miles each way - 8 kWh needed

10. Randy Walsh - driving oil burning car

11. Scott Sexton - 52 miles each way, will charge on the way up.

Picture of the chargers in Santa Ysabel
http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss92/TonyWilliams/Nissan%20LEAF/d512e950830ff4161730e30351aaab7f.jpg?t=1349559263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link to the beginning of the LEAF forum conversation:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=234365#p234365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nearby charging locations:

30 miles away, one L2, no card needed:
Walgreens
13390 Poway Road
Poway, CA 92064

29 miles away, three L2 chargers, no card required at:
Mossy Nissan Poway
14100 Poway Road
Poway, CA 92064

16 miles away, three L2 chargers, requires Blink card:
Big 5 Sporting Goods (across from Starbucks)
1350 Main Street
Ramona, CA

0 miles away, three L2 chargers, one DC charger, requires Blink card:
Don's Market
Santa Ysabel, CA

Tony Williams
San Diego
858-245-8217

F83614C9-3698-483D-A4E8-0E579DD5C514-10811-00000677688B05C6.jpg

d512e950830ff4161730e30351aaab7f.jpg

Tony, anyone else showing up for the meeting - say Blink rep, site owner, etc as you've been able to coordinate in the past?

Kind of surprised there isn't more hoopla being generated over the first DC QC in SD County!

Sorry I can't make it, Tony. I'd love to...but we're setting up Christmas lights for our large home display and will be going flat out to get the display set up in time to light up on Saturday after Thanksgiving. It's a tribute to our two boys who have Autism. We like to say we're making lifetime memories for our family and the community. You and any/all MNL'ers are welcome to check out the display after 11/24...

More info:
http://www.belardolights.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One point from your note above...Teslas could use the L2 stations with their supplied adapter and recapture ~25 miles per hour of charge...

Randy said:
One point from your note above...Teslas could use the L2 stations with their supplied adapter and recapture ~25 miles per hour of charge...
Tony is reserving use of the L2s for LEAFs and other EVs that need the charge to get back home in case the QC is out of commission - any Tesla should not have any issue making it up there and back unless they're really coming in from quite a distance.

Back