Nissan Leaf vs Tesla Model S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lorenfb said:
Shaka said:
What I THINK you're trying to say (though doing a poor job of it) is that Tesla owners need to realize you need L2 charging to be able to recharge a full 60 or 85 kWh battery overnight.

LOL!

That statement is NOT correct. It's not at all possible to fully charge a 60/85 kWh battery overnight (12 hrs)
using L2 charging for most Tesla owners who near fully utilize their ranges. Furthermore, to optimize the
charging time for the lowest rates, the charging 'window' is considerably less than "overnight" requiring
a charging capability greater than L2.

You clearly have no idea what L2 charging is. It include things like 22KW 400V chargers. Hell even my domestic 3 phase 240V 25A socket would easily recharge 85KWh battery overnight. My 400V socket + upgraded fuse box cost me under $2K (incl. 21% VAT).

Rebel44 said:
You clearly have no idea what L2 charging is.

Depends who you ask. I always thought L1 is 120V AC, L2 is 240V AC, and L3 is any high current, high amperage DC charging. But SAE says L2 includes DC charging. Still others break it down into AC L1, AC L2, DC L2, etc... I think California once said L3 includes DC. It's confusing, I don't blame people for not getting it right.

I own a Tesla and a Leaf. With my Tesla, I only had to pay to install a 14-50 outlet since it comes with an EVSE that goes up to 40 AMP on 240 volt but it can also be used on 110.

With my Leaf, I had the additional charge of buying a Clipper Creek EVSE. Of course, I could have charged using the EVSE provided, but that takes far too long since it is limited to 110. While there are after market conversion to make it 240, that is something Nissan should have done and they could really learn a lesson from Tesla in this regard.

kubel said:
Rebel44 said:
You clearly have no idea what L2 charging is.

Depends who you ask. I always thought L1 is 120V AC, L2 is 240V AC, and L3 is any high current, high amperage DC charging. But SAE says L2 includes DC charging. Still others break it down into AC L1, AC L2, DC L2, etc... I think California once said L3 includes DC. It's confusing, I don't blame people for not getting it right.
Originally, L3 was DC QC. However, the SAE then decided that they'd divide DC QC by speed, so instead of all DC being L3, we now have AC L1, AC L2, DC L1, DC L2, DC L3. From the SAE J1772 wiki:

The SAE J1772 committee has also proposed a DC connector based on the SAE J1772-2009 AC connector shape with additional DC and ground pins to support charging at 200–450 V DC and 80 A (36 kW) for DC Level 1 and up to 200 A (90 kW) for DC Level 2[16] after evaluating the J1772-2009 connector against other designs including the JARI/TEPCO connector used by the CHAdeMO DC fast charge protocol.[17] The SAE DC Level 3 charging levels have not been determined, but the standard as it exists as of 2009 has the potential to charge at 200–600 V DC at a maximum of 400 A (240 kW).

GRA said:
Originally, L3 was DC QC. However, the SAE then decided that they'd divide DC QC by speed, so instead of all DC being L3, we now have AC L1, AC L2, DC L1, DC L2, DC L3.
Thanks for that information! How's that for a confusing standard? I suggest they add AC L3 to make the confusion complete!

FWIW, the DCQC that I use most is only capable of 25kW, but above about 70% SOC the BMS will not even allow that much power to flow. Still it is a great thing to have available when compared with the 3.3kW on-board charger.

Back