Nissan LEAF Will Include Fast Charge Capability and Emergenc

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacti

Nissan LEAF Will Include Fast Charge Capability and Emergency Charging Cable at Launch

http://gas2.org/2010/05/27/nissan-leaf-will-include-fast-charge-capability-and-emergency-charging-cable-at-launch/

"At the Nissan LEAF battery plant groundbreaking yesterday in Smyrna, Tennessee, I made it a goal to squeeze as much detailed information as I could out of Nissan regarding the LEAF and what kinds of equipment it will ship with.

To this point — as is usually the case in the echo chamber that is the internet these days — nobody (including myself… mea culpa) seems to have been able to get it right about two things: whether or not the LEAF will have a Level 3 fast charge receptacle when it ships and if it will be able to use a Level 1 standard 3-prong outlet."

Great news that L3 will be included.

We had believed the 120v EVSE would be included with the car. The 25 foot length will be enough for most "planned" usage, but another 50 (or even 100) feet might be required "in an emergency" to reach a socket inside a building.

Overnight charging with the 120v charger will be sufficient for people who only drive occasionally, or who typically go short distances, perhaps 10 or 20 miles. Even going on a 4-hour, 50 mile "shopping" trip will recharge in the remaining 20 hours.

Having the LEAF's internal charger limited to 15-amp (3.3kW) charging is ... not perfect, but usually workable.

Hopefully the 6.6kw L2 charging will become available as an upgrade, otherwise the "public" chargers will just take too long to use significantly, even while shopping.

Back