Nissan`s electric tour- San Diego

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sparky said:
BTW, I read somewhere that GM was giving Prius test drives along side the Volt test drive. I think that's a great idea for Nissan... as long as they believe they're gonna come out ahead.
Seems like this is going to be standard. The Leaf isn't a Volt of course, but it seemed smoother and more responsive than the car I usually drive. Roomy as well:

At the end of our full-day drive, a GM rep shrewdly handed over the keys to a 2010 Prius, a car I had driven before and enjoyed. The Prius is roomier than the Volt, but as soon as I turned on the ignition and started moving, the gas engine loudly snapped on, making me long for the comparatively silent, gliding operation of the Volt. The steering felt stiff, the transitions between battery and parallel power jarring. The Prius, of course, is cheaper, but not radically so.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2010-10/never-mind-naysayers-chevy-volt-excellent

garygid said:
Prius $22k vs Volt $41k, seems quite different to me.
I see a lot of numbers thrown around where a Prius costs in the low 20s but everyone I know who has bought a Prius ended up paying in the very high 20s or low 30s. That's not with every option available just what I'd consider the basics.

Just for kicks I just priced out a comparable Prius on the Toyota website and it comes in at $34,430. After rebate the Volt with every option you can throw at it (other than the bling wheels) is something like $35,7380. Not seeing a big difference.

Going 40 miles in EV mode as opposed to kicking on the gas engine every time you move the car might be big, and the difference in ride, handling and performance might be big, but the price differential isn't that big. Basically you can always cut the price by removing content like $200 floor mats but that doesn't make for a realistic comparison. IMO.

SanDust said:
Just for kicks I just priced out a comparable Prius on the Toyota website and it comes in at $34,430. After rebate the Volt with every option you can throw at it (other than the bling wheels) is something like $35,7380. Not seeing a big difference.
Yes - comparing to barebones Prius isn't useful. How much does a Prius with equivalent options to base Volt cost ? I'd guess something like 26k.

SanDust said:
garygid said:
Prius $22k vs Volt $41k, seems quite different to me.
I see a lot of numbers thrown around where a Prius costs in the low 20s but everyone I know who has bought a Prius ended up paying in the very high 20s or low 30s. That's not with every option available just what I'd consider the basics.
My Prius was about $22.5k and less than $25k out the door (taxes, fees, etc).

That said - similarly equipped to the Volt after federal tax credit it's not that far off as you mention.

The Leaf, however is a steal in comparison when you consider that it's eligible for additional rebates in some states. It will be cheaper than the Prius!

Back