Nissan shutting out third-party apps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staque

Got this in my Nissan LEAF Owner's newsletter:
(...) several smartphone app developers were inspired to create custom apps for controlling the system in a LEAF. While we applaud the enthusiasm and ingenuity of these developers, we have to put the privacy and security of our owners first. This is why—effective immediately—we have decided to shut off access to in-vehicle controls from these unofficial applications. As an alternative, we encourage you to download the official Nissan LEAF app for your iPhone, Android or BlackBerry smartphone (...)
Now how am I supposed to remotely set a charge timer?? The official app doesn't do it!

Edit: Michael Walsh has already created a petition on Change.org:
https://www.change.org/petitions/nissan-motor-corporation-usa-reverse-the-decision-restricting-the-use-of-third-party-apps-for-carwings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"in-vehicle controls" seems to indicate the start charging and start climate control functions only.

The change is supposed to be immediate. Yet as far as I can tell, reading vehicle status using third-party apps (battery info, plugged in state) is still working.

Staque said:
Got this in my Nissan LEAF Owner's newsletter:
(...) This is why—effective immediately—we have decided to shut off access to in-vehicle controls from these unofficial applications. ....(.)
My 3rd party app still works to set the climate control. Maybe this is a Nissan "effective immediately" which means "someday, when we get around to it".

I'm not allowed to decide if I want to allow access to my acct for my car.
Another annoying Nissan intrusion.
Another win for the corporate lawyers.
Another brick in the wall.

I don't know how this will block what access, but it will make me sad if my home charging monitor script using pycarwings ends up broken as well. It's really nice to log on and see a graph of the last few days of charging without having to wait 5 minutes (seriously) for the website to reload from the car. The nissan app is really sub-par at least on Android.

I understand if they want to stop app developers from gathering a lot of passwords / usernames - they should just implement OAuth or something so that third-party apps can request an API token ala twitter / facebook 3rd party API access.

jamuraa said:
I don't know how this will block what access, but it will make me sad if my home charging monitor script using pycarwings ends up broken as well. It's really nice to log on and see a graph of the last few days of charging without having to wait 5 minutes (seriously) for the website to reload from the car. The nissan app is really sub-par at least on Android.

I understand if they want to stop app developers from gathering a lot of passwords / usernames - they should just implement OAuth or something so that third-party apps can request an API token ala twitter / facebook 3rd party API access.

I can confirm pycarwings monitoring is still working.

jamuraa said:
The nissan app is really sub-par at least on Android.
Don't feel slighted. The iPhone app is pretty bad, too. If the Nissan apps weren't so bad we wouldn't have so many third-party replacements (which actually work and offer more features).
Agreed. This is a solved problem, and it's actually surprising they haven't already implemented an official API with a standard authorization mechanism by now. :-(

lemketron said:
jamuraa said:
The nissan app is really sub-par at least on Android.
Don't feel slighted. The iPhone app is pretty bad, too. If the Nissan apps weren't so bad we wouldn't have so many third-party replacements (which actually work and offer more features).
Agreed. This is a solved problem, and it's actually surprising they haven't already implemented an official API with a standard authorization mechanism by now. :-(

GM's response to similar concerns was brilliant by comparison:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-45786.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hate even speculating, or giving them the benefit of the doubt, but Japanese companies may not understand that a customer may want to use a tool that was not authorized and distributed by the company. There has to be some reason GM got this right, and a year later, Nissan gets it so wrong.

Does Nissan even realize there have been no improvements to the Carwings interface since Day 1? How many improvements have Tesla pushed out in the same time frame?

Should we gather and root for reversal and/or development of secure API before they shut down access?
I remember there was some Leaf board or something...
If most of the folks actually want this and agree to sharing their credentials with trusted (but "unofficial Nissan") developers, why would Nissan care? Do they want to please the customers or piss them off?

Here is a link to the newsletter.

http://m.nissanyourservice.net/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=g%2F6utmaJ4jpTmag2wJWpUQ%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a suggestion for Nissan...
Why can't we have an option on Carwings website or in Nissan itself, something like Settings on Android phones "Allow installation of non-market apps"
By default everybody are privacy-protected, but if you opt-in, you can share controls with 3rd party apps.
I remember at the beginning Nissan feeds were able to get GPS tracking info, pretty cool feature that was later shutdown by nissan, now we don't have any app support...
When most companies try to open up and crowd-develop, Nissan is shutting down... Sounds like roman empire at the end of its life cycle...

don't worry, nissan are so incompetent i'm sure it will be very easy to have any 3rd party app masquerade as the "official" app.

What if there is no official app for the platform, like in my case with Windows Phone. You can't take it away if you don't have another solution.

I don't really have a dog in this fight...the Nissan app has always worked for me (with the exception of when the Carwings server has been FUBAR'd), but I think it's yet another decision in the wrong direction. I really do despair both Nissan and the LEAF program at this point, I really do.

Back