Nissan's Broken Promise

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody else have trouble figuring out what is being said here? I can't tell if his battery was replaced 4 years ago in April, a week or so of his purchase, or if it has been replaced recently and he still doesn't know if it has or???
I read the story as a a LEAF had its pack replaced under warranty some 2 years ago, and now the owner wants another warranty replacement. Pretty impressive if the replacement pack only lasted 2 years.

But who knows. English without punctuation or grammar is a foreign language

Anybody else have trouble figuring out what is being said here? I can't tell if his battery was replaced 4 years ago in April, a week or so of his purchase, or if it has been replaced recently and he still doesn't know if it has or???
I'm sorry if what I said wasn't clear, let me try again.

We bought a 2017 Leaf in April of 2020. It had about 38,000 miles on it and the battery capacity was down to 7 bars. I took it to the local Nissan dealer a few days after we bought it, and they replaced the battery with a new 40 Kw battery.

Now, less than 4 years later, with 68,000 miles on the clock the car is back at the Nissan dealer and they claim Nissan has authorized a battery replacement and they have ordered a new battery. They told me to expect 4 to 6 weeks to get the new battery installed.

The battery capacity still shows 12 bars, but the estimated range varies dramatically once the state of charge goes below about 50%. From what I've read here on the forum that may mean there are bad cells in the battery.

They have had the car 4 weeks as of yesterday, and we've been driving a Nissan Kicks, courtesy of Enterprise Car Rentals and Nissan. I haven't heard anything about the status of the repair.

We are still pretty early on in the development of the EV ecosystem. If EVs are going to be truly a sustainable form of personal transportation, there needs to be a way to manage the battery lifecycle other than the junkyard. The cars need to be engineered for battery swaps after the end of useful battery life. Batteries need to become more standardized.

Manufacturers are already doing this last part by creating platforms that support an entire EV line rather than just one-off wedging a battery into an existing design. Of course the ZE0 LEAF was a one-off design made for Nissan to comply with regulations, so it wasn’t designed to be sustainable. Neither was the ZE1 as far as I can tell.

There are more and more third party shops starting to do battery repairs and swaps. Though, for what it’s worth, my 62kWh LEAF is likely to last 15-20 years before needing a new battery. At which point, someone should have a Mr. Fusion swap for it, right?

We are still pretty early on in the development of the EV ecosystem. If EVs are going to be truly a sustainable form of personal transportation, there needs to be a way to manage the battery lifecycle other than the junkyard. The cars need to be engineered for battery swaps after the end of useful battery life. Batteries need to become more standardized.

Manufacturers are already doing this last part by creating platforms that support an entire EV line rather than just one-off wedging a battery into an existing design. Of course the ZE0 LEAF was a one-off design made for Nissan to comply with regulations, so it wasn’t designed to be sustainable. Neither was the ZE1 as far as I can tell.

There are more and more third party shops starting to do battery repairs and swaps. Though, for what it’s worth, my 62kWh LEAF is likely to last 15-20 years before needing a new battery. At which point, someone should have a Mr. Fusion swap for it, right?
It would certainly make things tons cheaper in the long run for consumers. The issue with that is sometimes there is standardization resistance, and sometimes (such as in cell phones) making things removable causes issues that result in raising costs. I suspect right-to-repair stuff would help with that. As long as battery tech keeps advancing though I think it unlikely. There was a big lull in battery advancement that caused a bunch of standardization a,b,c,aa,aaa, car battery sizes, deep cycle battery sizes, etc..

One thing to keep in mind Nissan dealers and Nissan are not the same companies. If you had a 10/100k warranty issue the thing is out of warranty on its 100,000th mile whether the time period is up or not. A car bought in 2015 should still be in the 10 year period, but the vast majority of them will have passed 100k long ago. If the warranty is not being honored it’s a serious problem, but so far I’m not seeing that this is the case. This appears to be a thing where you believe you were guaranteed a specific price for a new battery. Who made this guarantee? If it was the manufacturer they likely won’t renegotiate and the issue is with the dealer. If the guarantee was made by the dealer you’ll want it in writing and it is an issue for small claims court.

This whole thing smells to me of lawyers and legal fees. History will matter.

Given what I have seen I suspect it is likely a misunderstanding of minutia of the guaranty on your part. There could be a loophole they are leaping through. I do not know though. This reminds me a bit of the whole “buy a harrier jet with proof of purchase tabs” thing that went down a few years ago. This is the kind of thing where you absolutely have to have your ducks in a row.
"guarantee"? Did I ever use that word in my post? I never used the word 'promise' either but in effect that is what they did when the issued that press release.

"This forum isn't really a place to make a stand against corporate greed or dealership lies."

I differ with you on the latter. If a member encounters a dealership that is corrupt, incompetent, or otherwise best avoided, we need to hear about it here.

I did this to load my gun to continue my conversation/argument with Nissan corporate regarding their broken 2014 commitment to a $5400 replacement battery .
While you didn't use the term guaranty, you did use the term "commitment" not sure what the actual difference is, and as has been shown you did use promise.
So take a chill pill and deal with the facts.

While you didn't use the term guaranty, you did use the term "commitment" not sure what the actual difference is, and as has been shown you did use promise.
So take a chill pill and deal with the facts.
I'm sorry, how is this your business? And you don't know what the difference between guaranty and commitment is? Take a chill pill? Pretty disrespectful. It seems as if we live in a forum of enemies, sad.

I differ with you on the latter. If a member encounters a dealership that is corrupt, incompetent, or otherwise best avoided, we need to hear about it here.
I agree, information is important. But at the same time, that dealership isn't going to read this forum and decide they have been so bad they should change their ways because of someone complaining on MNL. Once it gets beyond the information of how bad the dealership is, I feel that's good a good enough start. I don't see anyone having much success trying to use MNL as a staging point for protest or some other type of action against said bad dealership. 😥

Nice pivot. Back to my question, did I ever use the word guaranty?
No, though the post I actually responded to did. It’s not a pivot. It’s central to the complaint. The issue is does it constitute false advertising. Something that was recently gutted.

I'm sorry, how is this your business? And you don't know what the difference between guaranty and commitment is? Take a chill pill? Pretty disrespectful. It seems as if we live in a forum of enemies, sad.
Really!? On the internet?! It was POSTED. this is a forum. One could also say “you sound unhinged and very angry and the argument Mede is frivolous” “take a chill pill” is shorter though.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-lm&q=commitment+vs+guarantee
You made my business by posting on an open forum, If you want it private keep it to yourself.
You have made comments where one has been proved false and the other is a matter of semantics.
When I make a commitment, my word is my bond.
When I give a guarantee, I post some other bond.
there is almost no practical difference between the two. There may be legal differences when it comes to enforcing the bond.

Back