NMA Blog "Review" of Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soviet

So I love the National Motorists' Association because they're against speed traps and red-light cameras and all that revenue-generating punk garbage that harms innocent motorists who are simply driving at an appropriate rate for the design and condition of the road.

However, their so-called "review" of the Nissan Leaf? Left me sorely disappointed here.

What do you Leafers think?

http://blog.motorists.org/some-cars...um=rss&utm_campaign=some-cars-i-cant-review-2

Yeah looks like they are trolling LEAF owners. I had no desire to post a comment correcting the author since I knew where it would lead.

Ok, so it does miff me a bit that he is dogging the LEAF...but even if he were talking about a Pontiac Aztec, a Ford Aerostar, or a Chevy Cavalier (sorry if I hurt any feelings), this would be a terrible article. I think he should have written it as follows...
"Hi. I'm some sorta car reviewer guy. I don't like electric cars because I think they are stupid. I haven't actually driven one, but I've heard some bad stuff. If you buy an electric car, then you are a Communist. Boo!"
Just my two cents. ;)

Soviet said:
So I love the National Motorists' Association because they're against speed traps and red-light cameras and all that revenue-generating punk garbage that harms innocent motorists who are simply driving at an appropriate rate for the design and condition of the road.

In other words, you like to speed.. :eek:

he does not seem to understand the concept of needing a car for commuting to work.
another libertarian fundie who thinks god made the highway, pays the police and funds the armed forces and the oil subsidies that keeps him in gasoline and motor oil.

I couldn't help but post a comment on the "review" - but I did my best to keep it civil:

Readers should take these comments about the Nissan Leaf with the same seriousness that they would take a movie review by a critic who's never seen the movie, or a restaurant review by a food critic who's never set foot in the restaurant he judges.

In other words, not much credibility.

If anyone who hasn't yet had the opportunity to actually see, drive and experience a Leaf firsthand is interested in learning something about it, I'd suggest taking a look at http://www.MyNissanLeaf.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, a forum that hosts a large community of Leaf owners, many of whom have actually been driving this car daily for a year or more, like myself. There you will have the opportunity to read about the full spectrum of experiences and opinions on the Leaf, by those who actually drive it.

If you want to know if the sky is blue or not, just look up - or at least ask someone who's seen it.

timhebb said:
I couldn't help but post a comment on the "review" - but I did my best to keep it civil:

Readers should take these comments about the Nissan Leaf with the same seriousness that they would take a movie review by a critic who's never seen the movie, or a restaurant review by a food critic who's never set foot in the restaurant he judges.

In other words, not much credibility.

If anyone who hasn't yet had the opportunity to actually see, drive and experience a Leaf firsthand is interested in learning something about it, I'd suggest taking a look at http://www.MyNissanLeaf.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, a forum that hosts a large community of Leaf owners, many of whom have actually been driving this car daily for a year or more, like myself. There you will have the opportunity to read about the full spectrum of experiences and opinions on the Leaf, by those who actually drive it.

If you want to know if the sky is blue or not, just look up - or at least ask someone who's seen it.

I love the way you put it! Very succint & yet welcoming to whomever wants to learn more. However, for whatever reason, the comment hasn't been posted to their comments board. My guess is that they have a moderator who's simply not gotten around to it yet. You did add your e-mail & whatnot so that they didn't think you were spam? Hmmmm.....I just had another thought as I typed that....perhaps they have an automatic feature not to post comments with hyperlinks in them? You did post a link to our site.

Herm said:
Soviet said:

It seems really simple, doesn't it? Except it isn't. Many places have artificially low speed limits. Now why on earth would a speed limit be any lower than it should be? *gasp* Who could possibly benefit from artificially low speed limits? Hmmmm.....revenue generators, perhaps? Harassing innocent motorists who are driving completely safely & appropriately just for the purpose of funding one's own podunk, broke (many jurisdictions these days are insolvent) town that fails to have safety (or fiscal responsibility) on its mind.

Soviet wrote:
...for whatever reason, the comment hasn't been posted to their comments board

Yes, it's almost midnight and my comment is still in limbo: "Your comment is still awaiting moderation."

Maybe it just makes too much sense for their moderator?

Soviet said:
Herm said:
Soviet said:

It seems really simple, doesn't it? Except it isn't. Many places have artificially low speed limits. Now why on earth would a speed limit be any lower than it should be? *gasp* Who could possibly benefit from artificially low speed limits? Hmmmm.....revenue generators, perhaps? Harassing innocent motorists who are driving completely safely & appropriately just for the purpose of funding one's own podunk, broke (many jurisdictions these days are insolvent) town that fails to have safety (or fiscal responsibility) on its mind.
While I suppose speed cameras are debatable, I don't get the hate for red light cameras. Running red lights is a serious safety hazard and gets no sympathy whatsoever from me.

dgpcolorado said:
While I suppose speed cameras are debatable, I don't get the hate for red light cameras. Running red lights is a serious safety hazard and gets no sympathy whatsoever from me.
The biggest issue is that red light cameras are not proven to improve safety of intersections while providing for ample opportunity for corruption since many of these contracts award the private contractor for catching more people running red lights. In many cases, red light cameras cause people to be too cautious and end up slamming on their brakes when they might have made it causing other accidents. Most studies have found that increasing the duration of the yellow and the amount of dead-time after the light turns read is the most effective way to improve safety. If people still insist on running lights, park a police officer there occasionally and catch them that way.

dgpcolorado said:
... While I suppose speed cameras are debatable, I don't get the hate for red light cameras. Running red lights is a serious safety hazard and gets no sympathy whatsoever from me.
There have been abuses. Particularly shorting the timing of the yellow light to generate more citations. BTW, Los Angeles shut theirs down because too many people won't pay the tickets and they were losing money.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/29/local/la-me-0329-red-light-cameras-20120329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The point is, though, it was because of a problem with the fine collection mechanism, not because they were ineffective.
If I had my way, there would be one at ever intersection.

davewill said:
BTW, Los Angeles shut theirs down because too many people won't pay the tickets and they were losing money.

The point is, though, it was because of a problem with the fine collection mechanism, not because they were ineffective.
If I had my way, there would be one at ever intersection.

I would too. Actually, I would put a camera inside every car pointed at the speedometer and have an alarm go off whenever the speed is exceeded. Think of all the money you could make and how safe you would feel.

Back