Official Hyundai Ioniq 5 topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danrjones said:
By "de-contented" you probably mean equipment not everyone wants
They want it, but may be willing to skip it to save money. For Tesla Vs Hy/Kia the main differences off the top of my head are:

AWD
Superior winter range performance due to pre-conditioning and Octovalve (both have a heat pump.)
20% greater all-year range
Vastly superior Power
Vastly superior fast charging
Superior safety engineering

I appear to be a Tesla snob because no other manufacturer can compete on value. I expect that eventually we will be able to choose an EV based on trade-offs but for now the only option is inferior car for less money. As I said earlier though, my rating scale for these expensive EVs
are as ICE replacements, not as LEAF replacements.

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
By "de-contented" you probably mean equipment not everyone wants
They want it, but may be willing to skip it to save money. For Tesla Vs Hy/Kia the main differences off the top of my head are:

AWD
Superior winter range performance due to pre-conditioning and Octovalve (both have a heat pump.)
20% greater all-year range
Vastly superior Power
Vastly superior fast charging
Superior safety engineering

I appear to be a Tesla snob because no other manufacturer can compete on value. I expect that eventually we will be able to choose an EV based on trade-offs but for now the only option is inferior car for less money. As I said earlier though, my rating scale for these expensive EVs
are as ICE replacements, not as LEAF replacements.

We can do this all day, as I can also give you a list of Tesla differences:

Vastly more expensive
Poorer quality control
Too minimalist interior
No Load to Grid
Questionable EPA Range estimates
Slower Fast Charging to 80%
Slower Peak Fast Charging
Shorter Warranty - Basic (4 year versus 5) and Powertrain (8 year vs 10)

Blah blah blah.

Funny thing is, you left off the one real advantage I see tesla having - their reliable charging network!!!!

Lets wait and see the US reviews, real world range, and sales. Sadly both are probably supply constrained.

At the risk of sounding like a Tesla fan, I think the faster charging of the Ionic5 and Ev6 are offset by the efficiency of the M3/Y. Travel times are going to be pretty darn similar if the charging locations are optimal.

I think Lucid is likely the only one with a significant leg up with both range and efficiency superiority. But it does come with a 80k-170K pricetag.

DougWantsALeaf said:
At the risk of sounding like a Tesla fan, I think the faster charging of the Ionic5 and Ev6 are offset by the efficiency of the M3/Y. Travel times are going to be pretty darn similar if the charging locations are optimal.

I think Lucid is likely the only one with a significant leg up with both range and efficiency superiority. But it does come with a 80k-170K pricetag.

Concur

I like Tesla, but I'm not going to ignore some of their flaws just to lick Elon's boots. Or whatever it is that drives the fanboys. I suspect the real world range of the entry level (long range) I5 may be very close to the same as the long range model y. And one is 44k pre credits, one is 60k. For me personally that means one I can afford, one I can't. YMMV.

US: In December, Hyundai Delivered The First 153 Ioniq 5 EVs
The first cars were handed over on both the West and East Coasts.
https://insideevs.com/news/558698/us-december-hyundai-ioniq5-sales/

cwerdna said:

I haven't been contacted since a month ago when the dealer contacted me saying Hyundai had passed on my interest (to them) in buying an Ioniq plugin hybrid. Which I am not interested in at all.

Plus I just discovered the two Hyundai dealers near me have said they plan to add dealer mark up. I was actually looking at the dealer list for the f150 Lightning, but saw my two Hyundai dealers on there.... I refuse to pay any dealer markup.

cwerdna said:

Yeah,

Unless Hyundai increases its deliveries to the USA dramatically (say, at least 10k per month), its low msrp and hoped for EV laurels are going to remain wasted forum bandwidth.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Does anyone else feel like the range is a little underwhelming on the Ionic5? Not saying it isn't a fun car, but it looked very thirsty in Bjorn's videos.

I have seen some evidence the real world range isn't much better than the RWD (or AWD) ID4 for model to model... but obviously the charging is a lot better.

James and Kate recently posted a video about the Ionic5. About half way through, he mentioned that SR+ (pre lfp), Leaf Plus and Ionic 5 all felt like they had similar range as the Ionic5 was heavy and inefficient.

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
but obviously the charging is a lot better.
Obviously not

Hyundai does not have a unique cell chemistry that would alter the C charging curve

You keep saying that, and yet they can go from 10 to 80% in 18 minutes. Folks have already tested and verified this. I think even Alex from Alex on Autos tested it.

The consumer cares about results. Hyundai appears to have it.

danrjones said:
SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
but obviously the charging is a lot better.
Obviously not

Hyundai does not have a unique cell chemistry that would alter the C charging curve

You keep saying that, and yet they can go from 10 to 80% in 18 minutes. Folks have already tested and verified this. I think even Alex from Alex on Autos tested it.

The consumer cares about results. Hyundai appears to have it.
The "consumer" you talk about is an idiot. If the 10-80% in 18 minutes is real, it means an average C rate of (60/18)*0.7 = 2.3C.
That means one or both of two things: The "80%" is a mirage with a high upper buffer, and/or Hyundai is overcharging the battery. Does the "consumer" care about safety and degradation ?

This is all deja vu. The first Hyundai EV had fantastic peak charging rates, IIRC close to 4C. Sustained was no less impressive. The second generation had only a fraction of that rate, in line with industry averages. I'll give you 1.1 guesses how the first Hyundai generation fared with respect to degradation.

The ioniq 5 has a ten year 100,000 mile warranty.

Good enough the average consumer doesn't have to worry that much if you are right or wrong.

Whether you like how they achieve it, their charging *IS* better. That's a fact. Plenty of people have tested it.

Considering my Nissan appears to be around 13% degradation in 2.5 years I don't think Hyundai can do worse. Or they are going to have a lot of Ioniq 5 warranty claims.

danrjones said:
The ioniq 5 has a ten year 100,000 mile warranty.

Don't confuse a warranty against manufacturer defect with a degradation warranty. As a LEAF owner with a rapidly degrading pack and long time MNL reader, I'm surprised that you miss the distinction. But I remember now --- you keep an ICE for longer trips. So the Hyundai marketing scam helps you rationalize the purchase and provides brownie points on car forums but you have enough sense to rarely use the Ioniq5 as other than an extended commuter that avoids DCFC.

Whatever works for ya. You do have an option though: you can restrict yourself to 150 kW DC chargers. That might actually make the car a sensible purchase, meaning you can actually use it without smoking the battery every trip.

I was originally excited about the Ionic5 as I thought it was coming to the US with the solar roof. As it's not coming as a feature, much of the rest of it from a practicality perspective seems...eh. I know that the solar roof has nearly no practical value, but love the concept and want to support it.

As for the 18 minutes to charge about 50 kWh, that's not too shabby.

I will stick with my S+ with low weight rims for now.

No, I'm fully aware it doesn't appear to have a degradation warranty. Oddly, my Leaf does, and it might need it. I'll probably never know though.

But Hyundai could easily face a class action lawsuit later if they purposefully designed a system to fail.

If you are asking whom I believe knows more... Hyundai, or a random poster on here... I'm going 70% Hyundai.

Does it matter? Probably not, since my wife has her heart set on a Q4.

One of the dealers near me is showing 7 I5's in stock, though I suspect they are more like "coming soon" or on their way to the dealer.

They are adding a 3k market adjustment fee and 1700 in dealer addons... not sure what those include.

https://www.bakersfieldhyundai.com/new-inventory/index.htm?model=Ioniq%205

Finally had a chance to see one in person, sit in it, play with it for about 10 minutes.

Rally Hyundai in Palmdale has a white and a black (both SEL). I love the outside.

The inside I'm less excited about - I think the screens are nice and big but just don't like the integration style, and I don't like the steering wheel.

That said, I'd buy one if my wife let me. Right now she says no. She didn't like it, so we will wait to see what else comes out this summer.
she is still hoping Q4 comes out but I have heard that has been pushed back now to July, and those audi dealers are going to mark it up 10-20k.... ouch, which is a no.

I still plan to check it out more when i can just for fun. I'd really like to see a SE trim.
From what I can tell, the SE looses the heated steering wheel, looses leather, looses the Assist 2.0 and the rear air vents, and has LED reflectors instead of projectors for headlights.

I'm fine with all of that, and in fact, without ventilation, prefer cloth anyway. I believe even the SE comes with adaptive cruise, and the 2.0 adds extra features I could totally live without. So really the only downside is the heated steering wheel - which I do really love in my Leaf - and maybe the rear air vents. No idea on the headlights, both appear to be LED, but its possible the reflectors are worse?

IIHS rates headlights so time will tell on that. Not rated yet.

But I do love the outside.

Back