Official Mercedes B-class EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being the size/weight/drag CD that it is in comparison to the Leaf, I'm thinking it can't do any better than maybe 2.5 miles per kWh EPA. Tony, I see you predict 4 miles/kWh here:
http://www.plugincars.com/small-luxury-evs-mercedes-b-class-electric-drive-will-take-bmw-i3-128988.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can see one of us hyper mile'ers doing that ... but what with cold temps - hills - driving 70mph-75mph the way real drivers doing?

TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:
The lack of quick-charge port is a non-starter in California considering the ongoing EVgo roll-out and other DCQC locations popping out here and there outside of Nissan dealerships. The 10kW OBC will rarely, if ever, be used at its full capacity too. Sigh.

Like every Tesla Model S and Tesla powered Toyota Rav4 EV, it has the same 10kW onboard charger. Mine is used every night at "10kW" (40 amps AC), as i suspect tens of thousands of Tesla do, too.

Most RV parks are a "10kW" charging location, too, with a JESLA portable charge cord. With the Tesla Roadster adaptor, i can pull 40 amps from every Clipper Creek TS-70 that are scattered up and down the west coast of the USA.

Fair enough, still you're typically limited to 7.2kw tops when you need 10kw the most such as at public charging locations.

I pull 40 amps from any 30 amp EVSE that will let me, haven't popped a breaker yet. I monitor the J1772 handle contact temperature, 3 hours at 40 amps on my Blink got to 133F, that is the hottest I have seen, but not hot enough to damage anything.

braineo said:
How do you manage to pull 30 amps from the blink unit? Software upgrade? Hardware modification?

Yeah, I was going to ask that. I suspect you can trick the OBC into thinking it is connected to a 40A EVSE by putting a dummy EVSE in between the real one and the car.

Blame the NEC for requiring a 125% breaker for EVSEs, if they didn't I couldn't pull 40 amps. :lol: Call 911, put away my EVSE and play dumb. :twisted:

pchilds said:
Blame the NEC for requiring a 125% breaker for EVSEs, if they didn't I couldn't pull 40 amps. :lol: Call 911, put away my EVSE and play dumb. :twisted:

I understand that technically it is more or less safe considering the wiring is done with 8AWG. The contactor inside the EVSE is somewhat more of a concern but likely not an issue too. However, if there is a fire for whatever other weird reason and the investigation finds modified equipment was used to pull more current that the circuit was designed for you may find yourself in a very uncomfortable situation. Not worth the risk IMO.

Valdemar said:
TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:
The lack of quick-charge port is a non-starter in California considering the ongoing EVgo roll-out and other DCQC locations popping out here and there outside of Nissan dealerships. The 10kW OBC will rarely, if ever, be used at its full capacity too. Sigh.

Like every Tesla Model S and Tesla powered Toyota Rav4 EV, it has the same 10kW onboard charger. Mine is used every night at "10kW" (40 amps AC), as i suspect tens of thousands of Tesla do, too.

Most RV parks are a "10kW" charging location, too, with a JESLA portable charge cord. With the Tesla Roadster adaptor, i can pull 40 amps from every Clipper Creek TS-70 that are scattered up and down the west coast of the USA.

Fair enough, still you're typically limited to 7.2kw tops when you need 10kw the most such as at public charging locations.

No, you're actually limited to 208 volts * 30 amps at most public J1772 charge stations.

About 6.2kW

Another photo and story ...

http://europe.autonews.com/article/...ercedes-starts-production-of-electric-b-class

AR-140419930.jpg&MaxW=622&cci_ts=20140417074742

More comparisons to the BMW i3 ... if it gets a realistic 124 miles on a charge that would be a definite positive ... of as always YMMV

"The B-class EV will have a driving range of around 200kms (124 miles) before the battery needs to be recharged. The car will accelerate to 100kph (62mph) in 7.9 seconds and have a top speed of 160kph (100 mph).

The model has been developed in partnership with U.S. EV maker Tesla. A Tesla-built, front-mounted electric motor powers the car. The motor produces 174 hp — 8 hp more than the BMW i3."

I doubt it will get 124 miles because it only has a 28kWh battery. I'm not sure how much of that is usable.

Energy for the electric motor is provided by a 28.0kWh lithium ion battery, sited low down within the floor between the front and rear seats.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mercedes-benz/b-class/first-drives/mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-prototype-first-d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

redLEAF said:
More comparisons to the BMW i3 ... if it gets a realistic 124 miles on a charge that would be a definite positive ... of as always YMMV

"The B-class EV will have a driving range of around 200kms (124 miles) before the battery needs to be recharged. The car will accelerate to 100kph (62mph) in 7.9 seconds and have a top speed of 160kph (100 mph).

The model has been developed in partnership with U.S. EV maker Tesla. A Tesla-built, front-mounted electric motor powers the car. The motor produces 174 hp — 8 hp more than the BMW i3."

The LEAF was advertised as a 200km car in Japan, and the 2013 was going to be a 250km car.

Manufacturers lie about range. I know that I've said it elsewhere, but the only real unknown variable is whether the 28kWh is rated size, or usable size. By the way, the Tesla motor isnt quite as efficient as the LEAF motor, but let's just say they are identical and that economy driving down the road at 100kmh is identical to the LEAF at 4 miles per kWh.

Then, 93% usable of 28kWh = 26kWh * 4 = 104 miles range
If 28kWh is usable, then 112 miles range

But, I dont believe the car has any advantages in aerodynamics nor overall efficiency of electrical use.

I still think the 100kmh range will be in the 90's, and so will the EPA five cycle range.

Here's the LEAF official government rated range worldwide:

124 miles = 200km Japan "EPA" rating for 2011-2012
142 miles = 228km Japan "EPA" for 2013

109 miles = 175km UK / Euro 2011-2012
124 miles = 199km UK / Euro 2013-2014

73 miles = EPA-USA 2011-2012
75 miles = EPA-USA 2013 with 66 EPA miles for 80% and 84 EPA miles for 100%
84 miles = EPA-USA 2014

My guess is the pack is 28kw total as they will brag about every kw. The range is likely going to be slightly more than the LEAF as Tony mentions. There is no magic to get more range other than using more of the capacity, a lower weight EV, or very good aerodynamics, the numbers don't lie only the marketing people do.

http://insideevs.com/exclusive-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-range-mode-increases-electric-range-15/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well this changes things quite a bit...

1) The amount of usable energy is 28kWh; that is not the total pack size.
2) The 28kWh represents what is available in “Standard Charge Mode,” which is what the car defaults to.
3) Like the Tesla Model S, you can select “Range Mode” before you begin charging and in doing so you’ll have more of the battery pack available, which will increase your range by approximately 15%

Back