Official Mercedes B-class EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
That teeny tiny charge cable is likely the standard 120 volt 8 - 12 amp excuse for an EVSE. We already have B-Class ED customers who have bought the JESLA 40 amp portable charging solution for their car.
As an aside, since the meet up and BC2BC are off and you've maybe got more time, have you found any i3 or B-class owners yet who are willing to put the car on your test loop?

Speaking of which, one of my co-workers traded in his 2012 Leaf on a B which he drove to work today. It's the metallic purple color (MB calls it Northern Lights Violet Metallic) with beige MB-Tex interior and is gorgeous...

GRA said:
As an aside, since the meet up and BC2BC are off and you've maybe got more time, have you found any i3 or B-class owners yet who are willing to put the car on your test loop?

GRA said:
TonyWilliams said:
That teeny tiny charge cable is likely the standard 120 volt 8 - 12 amp excuse for an EVSE. We already have B-Class ED customers who have bought the JESLA 40 amp portable charging solution for their car.

Yes, expect that at the end of the month of August.

lorenfb said:
So what's the price?
The base price is $41.5, mine will cost $47.5 with range extender, premium pkg, and a couple of other options (regen paddles, rear camera, premium color).
Valdemar said:
Let me guess, MSRP + markup?
Pretty much, but I'm not complaining. There was a hefty destination charge which is what I expect for being an earlier buyer. No room for haggling yet, there are already 5 orders at this particular dealership.
redLEAF said:
What's the lead time expected on ordering yours?
Mine is expected mid-October. I missed the dealership's first order which was just delivered. I could buy the one I showed photos of today if I wanted, but it doesn't have the options I want and I have a few more months on my LEAF lease.

You can download the owner's manual here:

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/service_and_parts/owners_manuals#!year=2015&class=B-Class" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well here are the lease numbers hot off RAB Motors, San Rafael "press."

4,500 down, 450 monthly, 36 months, 10,000 miles per year. Add tax to all dollar amounts.

Not too encouraging to say the least. The wait for Model III continues.

ILETRIC said:
Well here are the lease numbers hot off RAB Motors, San Rafael "press."

4,500 down, 450 monthly, 36 months, 10,000 miles per year. Add tax to all dollar amounts.

Not too encouraging to say the least. The wait for Model III continues.

Ouch, I'd rather lease 2 Leafs for about the same money.

padamson1 said:
lorenfb said:
So what's the price?
The base price is $41.5, mine will cost $47.5 with range extender, premium pkg, and a couple of other options (regen paddles, rear camera, premium color).
Valdemar said:
Pretty much, but I'm not complaining. There was a hefty destination charge which is what I expect for being an earlier buyer. No room for haggling yet, there are already 5 orders at this particular dealership.
redLEAF said:
Mine is expected mid-October. I missed the dealership's first order which was just delivered. I could buy the one I showed photos of today if I wanted, but it doesn't have the options I want and I have a few more months on my LEAF lease.

So can we assume you'll also be leasing not buying the B-class as well ?

redLEAF said:
padamson1 said:
lorenfb said:
So what's the price?
Valdemar said:
redLEAF said:

The 8 year/100k mile to 70% capacity warranty, combined with a liquid-cooled TMS and using a much smaller proportion of the battery for 'normal' use, would seem to change the buying vs. leasing calculus somewhat.

redLEAF said:
Right now yes..unless I can get the $7500 tax credit off the price of the car on a loan.

GRA said:
The 8 year/100k mile to 70% capacity warranty, combined with a liquid-cooled TMS and using a much smaller proportion of the battery for 'normal' use, would seem to change the buying vs. leasing calculus somewhat.
It does change the calculus, but not enough for me. Given the speed of change in the technology, I'm sure I'll want a new car in no more than 3yrs. One could always do a car loan and sell it early, but in case of a loan I'm not sure how much of the $7500 Fed Credit I'll actually see with AMT. The Lease takes it off the price, I haven't heard of any loans that do that.

Valdemar said:
Ouch, I'd rather lease 2 Leafs for about the same money.
Yes - even though the price is apparently only $10k more - lease terms are far worse.

At this point i3 & MBED are for people who habitually pay more for cars - but not as much as a Model S.

I was chatting with a coworker who is ideally suited to get an EV - but didn't want to get a Leaf because he didn't like the styling (or that it was too common). But he thought 10k extra for i3 is too much ... so I was telling him how much is the "style" or status worth to him ...

Valdemar said:
I might be wrong here, but I always thought that the credit is not affected by the AMT

At least with the tax pro I use, that's correct, he always does the AMT form but this fed tax credit aspect wasn't a factor when we bought our LEAF, we did quite well that year. I don't believe the IRS cares if you take out a loan versus paying all cash but you of course have to have at least $7,500 in tax liability for the year you take it, plus you don't 'realize' it until you file your tax return.

Some states also only offer their own EV level rebates on purchased versus lease cars but others don't care (CA being one who doesn't seem to care, but seem to recall you have to 'keep' the car for a specific period of time otherwise have to return it).

Mercedes are known for their longevity so I do like them unstressing their battery, etc. this car looks a bit better with each new post, I also saw that shade of purple (violet) on the configuration site that looked intriguing to say the least.

evnow said:
Valdemar said:
I might be wrong here, but I always thought that the credit is not affected by the AMT
Yes - tax credit is not affected by AMT.
Interesting. I think it depends on your individual tax situation. I have several friends who did not get their full EV tax credit due to the AMT, so I don't think you can flatly say that this tax credit is not affected by AMT. The AMT is designed to ensure that people who have lots of deductions still pay taxes, so if you have a lot of other deductions the AMT can kick in.

When that happens you will have to carry forward that credit as an AMT credit which is sometimes tough to actually use. Took me 7 yrs to use a large AMT credit that I had a long time ago from exercising stock options.

There was another credit that was in fact very sensitive to AMT, it was for the costs associated with the installation of charging equipment at home. Are you sure you're not confusing the two?

Valdemar said:
There was another credit that was in fact very sensitive to AMT, it was for the costs associated with the installation of charging equipment at home. Are you sure you're not confusing the two?
To be honest I'm not sure, I just heard: "I never saw that $7500" or something along those lines from more than one EV owner.

padamson1 said:
Interesting. I think it depends on your individual tax situation. I have several friends who did not get their full EV tax credit due to the AMT, so I don't think you can flatly say that this tax credit is not affected by AMT. The AMT is designed to ensure that people who have lots of deductions still pay taxes, so if you have a lot of other deductions the AMT can kick in.
Unless there has been a recent change - tax credit is designed to be not affected by AMT. You can search for AMT & EV tax credit or read the original legislation, IRS notes.

padamson1 said:
Valdemar said:
To be honest I'm not sure, I just heard: "I never saw that $7500" or something along those lines from more than one EV owner.

Odd, I paid AMT in 2011 the year I got my Leaf and was able to get the full credit amount using Turbo Tax.

Here's what someone on the Facebook group had to say about regular charging mode. Extended charging mode should be better, in theory...

"I drove 76.6 miles using 78% battery. According to the SOC I had 22% remaining. This equates out to a 98.2 mile range. Guess-o-meter indicated 18 more miles available, for a total 94.6 mile range. The GOM has consistently indicated low, which is fine by me.

This was primarily freeway driving, between 65 to 75 (generally in the 65-70 range), AC on because it was nearly 90 degrees here. This was a non-range (80%) charge."

Back