Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bdgotoh said:
So is the charge port on the left by the driver's door like the Volt?
I'm pretty sure I saw this same RAV-4 parked next to me in the EV spots at South Coast Plaza (north valet) on Jun 25. If so, the plug is on the left-rear quarter panel (where you'd expect the gas cap to be), and it used an adapter: the J-1772 was plugged into a thick black cable that, in turn, connected to the vehicle.

I took a picture of the adapter with my cell.

EricH said:
I'm pretty sure I saw this same RAV-4 parked next to me in the EV spots at South Coast Plaza (north valet) on Jun 25. If so, the plug is on the left-rear quarter panel (where you'd expect the gas cap to be), and it used an adapter: the J-1772 was plugged into a thick black cable that, in turn, connected to the vehicle.

Thanks for the info. I wonder what we'll end up standardizing on as far as charging location on the car.

Linda Nicholes from Plug In America put together a nice report on the new RAV4. Apparently, she had access to a preproduction vehicle and put it through its paces in and around Huntington Beach. Although there were plenty of things to like, she wasn't a fan of 3.3kW charging. I would be also curious to know if the new RAV4 will come with a 37kWh battery. Should that be true, I would expect the range to be comparable to the Leaf.

This EV doesn't sound all that impressive or appealing. What's the point anyway? It's less efficient then Leaf, same limiting range and charging capabilities. If they made a plugin version with 20 mile EV range then it would be ideal. Toyota is missing the point, someone should tell them that daily commuters with short range don't need to be made in SUV form factor.

I have 108,000 electric miles that says the small SUV form factor is pretty useful. I love our LEAF but occasionally I find the space inside a little limiting. When I originally got our RAV4-EV I was not a fan of SUV form factor but over the years we've discovered that the *small* SUV form complemented our 2002 Prius pretty well.

Based on what I've read of the specifications it wouldn't surprise me if the new RAV4-EV would have about 25 to 50% more useful range compared to the LEAF. The prototype conversions appear have 25% to 50% more battery capacity that the current LEAFs. I would be shocked if the new RAV4-EV does not have a 6.6kW capable charger when it goes to production.

The original RAV4-EVs were equipped with heat pumps so they used the same system for heating and cooling to improve efficiency for the climate control. I could imagine Toyota using its expertise there to do something similar again.

Now a game changer for me would be if a manufacturer implemented V2G (Vehicle to Grid) capabilities. Tesla presumably has the technology (AC propulsion was a pioneer in this space and they licensed some of their IP to Tesla). It sounds like Nissan might be interested in this space.

arnold

I wouldn't judge so quickly by one experience. When you got Rav4 there were no other options at that time available to the public, but today it's different story. I tend to think that for average american household of 2 cars electric Rav4 is not the best option. I fall in that category and I wouldn't consider buying Rav4 unless of course there were no other choices, I would much rather have combination of small commuter electric + gas/hybrid SUV, it's practical and more cost effective for obvious reasons. Even if Rav4 has slightly more range and quicker charging, it's probably going to cost more then Leaf and still not be as practical as combination that I mentioned above.

IBELEAF said:
I tend to think that for average american household of 2 cars electric Rav4 is not the best option. I fall in that category and I wouldn't consider buying Rav4 unless of course there were no other choices, I would much rather have combination of small commuter electric + gas/hybrid SUV, it's practical and more cost effective for obvious reasons.
Yes - same here. That is why I'm tracking Ford Energi closely.

I think GM missed a very good opportunity to make Volt a CUV rather than a high priced "sports sedan". I blame "macho" man Lutz for that weird decision.

evnow said:
Yes - same here. That is why I'm tracking Ford Energi closely.

I think GM missed a very good opportunity to make Volt a CUV rather than a high priced "sports sedan". I blame "macho" man Lutz for that weird decision.

Ford Energi has my interest as well, also waiting for Mitsubishi to deliver on their promise of "8 electrics by 2015".

http://www.plugincars.com/growing-ev-industry-still-divided-over-dc-charging-107369.html

Hidden in that piece is the information that RAV4 EVs will not be sold to the consumers. It is just for fleets. I guess small numbers and high lease prices. Toyota isn't serious about EVs.

The Toyota RAV4 EV will make its comeback after first being sold 15 years ago. The vehicle won’t be made available to consumers, Yoza said, instead they are focusing on “very strategic applications” such as fleets and car sharing programs.

It's been a Tesla/Toyota PR play from day one, no surprise here on this conversion car. Those thinking Toyota needs any help or tech from Tesla to build an EV in any way are being fooled by this joint marketing strategy. In time Toyota will make proper EVs. Can't wait to see the price of this inefficient and expensive EV.

This only strengthens my earlier feeling that Toyota's EVs are a CARB play. I just hope atleast with the Prius PHV they are more serious, though that 13 mile EV range is a bit underwhelming to say the least.

Toyota clearly has the know-how in house to do a clean sheet EV when they decide to do one. In the mean time, the Prius PHV makes a lot of sense for many customers.. If the first 13 miles of my daily drive was electric, and the rest was 50MPG I'd be pretty happy with the average MPG of over 100 in a car that has infinite range. Again, I chose the Leaf and love it, but we need each and every alternative to succeed if we will see a real dent in oil use.

The current RAV4 design is near end of it's life, so this EV will be limited run. Toyota will likely revisit it in EV form sometime after the next-gen is released.

grommet said:
The current RAV4 design is near end of it's life, so this EV will be limited run. Toyota will likely revisit it in EV form sometime after the next-gen is released.
The rav 4 EV will be in the new design coming out next year.

evnow said:
grommet said:
The rav 4 EV will be in the new design coming out next year.
You sure about this? At a local meetup, someone that worked at Tesla (unofficially) told me the first "non mule" RAV4 EVs will be 2012 based (still the current RAV4 design)... and that it would be limited production and likely fleet only. Did Toyota announce/commit that we'd definitely see a new body (2013) RAV4 EV sooner than later?

ABG is saying that the RAV-4 EV won't be for sale to consumers.. only fleets.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/07/17/toyota-rav4-ev-wont-be-sold-to-the-general-public/

cdub said:
ABG is saying that the RAV-4 EV won't be for sale to consumers.. only fleets.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/07/17/toyota-rav4-ev-wont-be-sold-to-the-general-public/
Same source as mine. As usual ABG is late.

grommet said:
You sure about this? At a local meetup, someone that worked at Tesla (unofficially) told me the first "non mule" RAV4 EVs will be 2012 based (still the current RAV4 design)... and that it would be limited production and likely fleet only. Did Toyota announce/commit that we'd definitely see a new body (2013) RAV4 EV sooner than later?
Not sure what to make of this. It makes little sense to make an EV based on the old design that is being phased out in a year ...

Back