Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So can I buy it in CA and make them ship to CO? My local Toyota dealers wouldnt do warranty work and service? And Tesla wouldn't do powertrain either?

Viktor said:
So can I buy it in CA and make them ship to CO? My local Toyota dealers wouldnt do warranty work and service? And Tesla wouldn't do powertrain either?

This question comes up over and over. The details of the warranty are on Toyota's website. Any Toyota dealer can service the cars EXCEPT for the specific parts of the Tesla derived equipment.

No, Tesla won't warranty your Toyota car, nor were you promised that.

Yes, you can buy the car and ship it to Colorado. It has already been done.

Viktor said:
So can I buy it in CA and make them ship to CO? My local Toyota dealers wouldn't do warranty work and service? And Tesla wouldn't do powertrain either?

I am lovin' my RAV4 EV. If you want to check it out sometime, I live near Cherry Creek Reservoir. Just PM me.

There is lots of FUD about warranty service outside CA. I am buying the extended warranty which provides you a rental car while things are being fixed. I think it could take longer to get something fixed or a recall taken care of, but I believe consumer protection laws require dealers to fix things in all states.

TonyWilliams said:
Heck, I might buy another and skip the Model S.

If I was in the market for a car, I would buy This Rav4EV!
With it's range I do not need fastcharger, I think the 10kw is enough! Altough semi-fastcharge 20kw would be handy! for the odd times! But not more needed!

I would not need a Model S, and I think it's more practical as a Leaf!

Dianne thinks any Toyota dealer who services the PIP should be able to service RAV4 EV. Has anyone called your local dealer (outside CA) and enquired ?

mkjayakumar said:
Dianne also said Tesla service should service your Rav4 drive train, as per the warranty.. I find that hard to believe..

I can believe that Tesla may send engineers or technicians to Toyota dealerships in California on an as-needed basis, as required by the agreement between Toyota and Tesla. I'm not certain that would work in areas where the RAV4-EV is not being sold. Tesla certainly won't service it directly.

To bad you cannot pay the $2400 for the 4 year/50,000 mile Tesla Ranger service.. Or the $600 per year maintenance visit fee's like for the Model S or Roadster.... I think if someone inquired to Tesla AND offered to pony up the cash for the Tesla Ranger service they may change their tune.... Probably wouldn't work but is certaintly a thought. I am waiting to see what happens whenever the first Rav4 EV out of state has an issue. I still have 2 years left on my Leaf lease so that is plenty of time to wait it out.

reeler said:
There is lots of FUD about warranty service outside CA. I am buying the extended warranty which provides you a rental car while things are being fixed. I think it could take longer to get something fixed or a recall taken care of, but I believe consumer protection laws require dealers to fix things in all states.
How much is the ext. warranty ?

I'm considering this to replace our ICE SUV. We would become an all EV household.

This is for out of state. Add your state tax, registration & shipping.

$50,870 Retail (inc floor mats and destination)
-$2,901 Dealer Discount
= $47,969 Price
+ $80 doc fee
=$48,049 Total
-$7,500 Finance Cash (which must apply to down payment)
=$40,549 Amount financed (at 0% APR)

-$7,500 Fed Incentive

=$33,049

Roadburner440 said:
I am waiting to see what happens whenever the first Rav4 EV out of state has an issue. I still have 2 years left on my Leaf lease so that is plenty of time to wait it out.

The problem is - Toyota apparently not going to make RAV4 EV for the year 2013.
So, is there an agreement that overal RAV4 EV is superior to Leaf EV?

- better powertrain produced by Tesla with better overal handling and range
- no issues with battery degradation as of now
- appears to be bigger than Leaf, but still only FWD
- great financing incentives to buy remaining 2012 models

That's pretty much it? Am I missing anything else in advantages of RAV vs Leaf?

Really tempted to get one - but just finished talking to Toyota - they stopped short of denying warranty for it anywhere but CA. The guy stated "you might not be able to have it serviced anywhere else" and apparently Toyota dealers should ask me to sign appropriate disclaimer for that matter prior to selling me the car.

Viktor said:

Hmmm ... they have a contract with Tesla to buy the drivetrains and mandate from CA to produce ZEV cars. I don't see those changing ... unless Toyota is willing to throw the towel in and just buy the ZEV credits instead of making EVs.

Viktor said:

Really tempted to get one - but just finished talking to Toyota - they stopped short of denying warranty for it anywhere but CA. The guy stated "you might not be able to have it serviced anywhere else" and apparently Toyota dealers should ask me to sign appropriate disclaimer for that matter prior to selling me the car.
For me, below is my reason of getting the Rav4EV over the LEAF:
* It has a 41.8 kWh (all usable) battery pack, double the size of the LEAF
* Both the battery pack and power train are liquid cool (LEAF is passive cool)
* Tesla made battery pack and power train (Tesla has demonstrated in their Roadster design that it works well)
* If you do the math, the $/kWh for RAV4EV is a much better deal than the LEAF.
* The Rav4EV has lots of room. Great for Costco/Homedepot/Ikea trips.
* The Rav4EV has a 9.6 kW onboard charger, while the *high end model* of the 2013 LEAF has 6.0 kW (2011 and 2012 are 3.3 kW, low end model of 2013 LEAF is 3.3 kW).

Viktor said:

I will say the Rav is certaintly better than Leaf as my Prius was a fantastic car, and Tesla seems to have developed an awesome power train. So I think the combination of the two will make for a great vehicle. My only hiccup is that I am in Virginia, and like everyone else out of Cali that wants one the warranty question is up in the air.... At the moment I am at a cross roads between the Rav4 and a Model S (40 or 60)... However if the Rav is only 2012 like you say then will most likely have to go with a Model S. At this point the only way I would stick with a Leaf is if it actually got more than 100 miles and had active battery cooling of some sort. Although the 2013 improvements are a great start the Rav4 is in my mind a complete package.

Can someone comment on things Leaf has but RAV4 EV doesn't ?

There are some obvious ones
- QC
- Heated Steering

Back