Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
Stoaty said:
I thought vegans didn't eat animal products, never heard that they can't sit on them. ;)
If you cause the death of an animal and you DON'T eat it, your doubly bad! =)
Don't worry, I have lots of friends and relatives who will eat the poor beast for me. ;) Besides, I don't care for leather on car seats anyway--prefer cloth.

I know that per http://www.toyota.com/rav4ev/toyota-care/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, Rav4 EV includes 2 years of "free maintenance". But, anyone know what the cost is beyond that?

Is it something like Tesla's $600/year service (http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/transforming-automotive-service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)?

abasile said:
surfingslovak said:
The ActiveE I'm driving displays it in Fahrenheit.
Just what an EV geek wants to see! :D
Absolutely! All EVs should offer this type of information, even if it was buried on some screen somewhere. As long as one can find it, all is well :)

T1wDba

waidy said:
waidy said:
Ingineer said:
I didn't know you had one with Supercharge capability? In any event, I wouldn't do anything without your permission. They'll be plenty of opportunities for me to inspect Model-S's, so I don't need to take yours apart if you don't want me to.

-Phil
Yes, I ordered a 85kWh S with all the options except no leather (I am a vegan), no 21" wheels (too expensive to replace), and no child seats (I don't like to sit backward)
I think I am confuse of the phase "supercharge capability". I looked at my MVPA, I brought option "twin charger" which allows me to charge at 80Amp, but there is nothing on my MVPA showing I brought the option of "supercharge capability". I then look at Tesla's website, it said supercharging comes standard with all 85kWh S. Therefore, I *think* I have supercharge capability although my MVPA doesn't said so. Let's hope.
If you ordered a Model-S with 85 kWh battery, you will be able to charge with superchargers. This will be an optional extra for the 60 kWh battery, and it is NOT available for the 40 kWh battery that is also used in the RAV4 EV. Testla's explanation for not providing supercharger capability for the 40 kWh battery is that it can't handle the high currents, but in my opinion they could have provided scaled-down power to match the smaller battery.

Since Tesla insists on a single charge port, they must provide some high-power switching relays in the Model-S to switch the port to the internal charger(s) on AC and the battery on DC. They will charge extra to provide these relays for the 60 kWh battery when it begins deliveries.

I would think it would be easier to add the second 10 kW charger to the RAV4 EV than to provide supercharger capability. Since RAV4 EV owners are probably not as perfectionist as Musk, perhaps they would consider an option where the second 10 kW charger can be plugged into a second L2, which should be a more common opportunity than 80 kW AC. This could give you at least 2*6.6 = 13 kW.

tbleakne said:
I would think it would be easier to add the second 10 kW charger to the RAV4 EV than to provide supercharger capability. Since RAV4 EV owners are probably not as perfectionist as Musk, perhaps they would consider an option where the second 10 kW charger can be plugged into a second L2, which should be a more common opportunity than 80 kW AC. This could give you at least 2*6.6 = 13 kW.

Hmmm, I think Phil could bang this out pretty quick. There's no need for it to be a Tesla charger, although I'd probably prefer it.

There's no battery temperature gauge on Rav4.

I guess if you want to monitor the RAV 4 EV 's drivetrain you could use http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6655-Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is used to monitor the Tesla Roadster and get it used with a mobile app

Ingineer said:
TonyWilliams said:
That's where you come in!
Thanks for the info! I wonder if they are using the same power electronics package as the Model-S? I wonder how difficult it would be to add Tesla Supercharger capability or CHAdeMO. (though the latter is going to probably be more difficult) If they are re-using a lot of Model-S stuff, stands to reason adding the Tesla supercharger capability might not be actually be that hard.

In order to assess this, I'd first need to tear into the Model-S a bit (hopefully one with supercharge capability), and then have a look at the RAV.

-Phil

Is the CHAdeMO system better for fast charging than Tesla's Supercharger system? What's the relative merits? TIA.

Phoenix said:
Is the CHAdeMO system better for fast charging than Tesla's Supercharger system? What's the relative merits? TIA.

Some of the merits are simply aesthetics. The Tesla has a single, elegant charge port. It is relatively small and thus can be hidden on the car easily.

On a manufacturer level, a single port means less cost and weight. In addition it can be done with minimal 'breaking' of the airflow over the car.

Charge wise, the Supercharger is faster, from what I hear. Although I don't think it is that much faster.

The maximum power rating on the Tesla Supercharger is 125kW, although Elon said at the launch event that they'll be limiting it to about 100kW in the short term (due to heating issues). He didn't say what the long term plans are...

A typical Chademo charging station for the LEAF puts out 48kW to the car maximum...

biggest difference I heard was that CHADEMO is Canbus controled and apparently supercharger by a simpler pilotsignal
similar to SAE signal I understoud

Phoenix said:
...Is the CHAdeMO system better for fast charging than Tesla's Supercharger system? What's the relative merits? TIA.

Tesla is proprietary for Model S/X. There's no where in the world that I will be able to use a Tesla Supercharger on my Rav4.

CHAdeMO will have HUNDREDS of chargers around the western USA in the upcoming year or three. It is currently limited to 62.5kW (500v * 125amps) with a power draw from the grid approaching 70kW.

In a Rav4 / Tesla Model S/X, with 386 pack voltage, the maximum would be 48kW. That's about the same as the LEAF (394v * 120a).

The Rav4 has Low Battery Warning (LBW) concurrent with 2 fuel bar segments, then Very Low Battery (VLB) with one bar, and then Climate Control Limited (CCL) with no bars, and finally our good friend Turtle mode (Low Battery Charge, Drive Power is Limited... LBC). Somebody will notice that I also got a flat tire:

Not pictured: Low Battery Warning (LBW) with two fuel bar segments illuminated:

Very Low Battery (VLB) which should have one fuel bar segment illuminated, except the picture was taken during Climate Control Limited (CCL) mode when VLB remains on:

F578E580-6D24-4F71-B442-F7477E77C6FF-9670-0000052FFF0076B8.jpg

Climate Control Limited (CCL) during VLB:

B72E6EB2-F869-4ACB-A845-F276382A4AC1-9670-0000053001871D9F.jpg

LBC / Turtle:

C4E0A2D0-D814-4F3F-BBCD-984A4B5FE461-9670-0000052F05C4EA56.jpg

Video with flat tire whilst entering LBC / Turtle mode:

TomT said:
How come it sounds like the outboard on my dinghy at that point? :lol:

TonyWilliams said:
The Rav4 has Low Battery Warning (LBW)

Flat tire one mile from my house. Destroyed the tire, but wheel is fine. I'm sure the TPMS sensor is, too.

I've got a new one on the way from TireRack.com, at just $191 plus install.

I have the Nissan Altima spare tire on today. Works fine, except the Toyota lug nuts are a more traditional nut with a flat washer, and the steel wheel from the Altima uses a normal tapered nut. I'll have to get a set of 5 regular lug nuts.

I think I'll have to accept the compromises necessary to mount a spare somewhere.

TonyWilliams said:
TomT said:
How come it sounds like the outboard on my dinghy at that point? :lol:

TonyWilliams said:
The Rav4 has Low Battery Warning (LBW)

Flat tire one mile from my house. Destroyed the tire, but wheel is fine. I'm sure the TPMS sensor is, too.

I've got a new one on the way from TireRack.com, at just $191 plus install.

I have the Nissan Altima spare tire on today. Works fine, except the Toyota lug nuts are a more traditional nut with a flat washer, and the steel wheel from the Altima uses a normal tapered nut. I'll have to get a set of 5 regular lug nuts.

I think I'll have to accept the compromises necessary to mount a spare somewhere.
If you can't put in on the rear door, you can always just carry it in the cargo area (tied down - you don't want that mother ramming you at 60mph in an accident). My first Subaru had a compact spare carried under the hood (on top of the engine), but for long trips or those to the boonies I'd remove it and take along a full-size spare (or even take both). I'd either lay it down in the cargo area or, if I needed as much space as possible, stand it up along the wall between the rear hatch and the wheel well. I assume the RAV4EV has cargo tie-down rings?

GRA said:
My first Subaru had a compact spare carried under the hood (on top of the engine), but for long trips or those to the boonies I'd remove it and take along a full-size spare. I'd either lay it down in the cargo area or, if I needed as much space as possible, stand it up along the wall between the rear hatch and the wheel well. I assume the RAV4EV has cargo tie-down rings?

Yes, there are tie down rings. But, you got me thinking that under the hood might be perfect. They wasted SOOoooo much space under the hood, and it has a huge lead acid.

I was thinking of putting my EVSE under the hood with its associated extension cords.

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
Flat tire one mile from my house. Destroyed the tire, but wheel is fine.
Ouch. Any idea what happened? Was there some debris on the road?

The tire shop just guessed the right rear. I said yes, how did you know? In right hand road countries, the right front tire picks up the side of the road debri and the right tire catches it. It's opposite in Japan, Enlgland, Australia, etc.

Back