Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there is only one explanation. VW just has A good sense of humor and this is an April fools joke,
No car co could be dumb enough to repeat the mistakes made by Nissan on lack of a tms

kmp647 said:
I find it hard to believ the cells wont suffer some extra degradation or damage in Arizona usage.

Hey at least VW has no worries about anyone fast charging in Arizona or just about anywhere else for that matter.

we wont see anyone spiking the battery temp gauge from repeated fast charges on a CCS unless they are going in a big loop around the one compatible charger in San Diego!
There are currently 6 CCS chargers in California (2 north, 4 south), and 2 in Arizona (making Phoenix-Tucson possible), which is considerably better than CHAdeMO had at a similar point in its U.S. rollout. See Plugshare (Note: at the moment Plugshare mistakenly lists CCS under "Public Stations", so deselect "High Power Stations" and then everything other than "SAE Combo" on the "Settings" page). Of course, at the moment the Spark and the soon to arrive i3 equipped with CCS have liquid-cooled TMS, so they won't be "spiking the battery temp gauge from repeated fast charges on a CCS" in any case. We'll have to wait for the e-Golf to see if that happens; since VW claims that it won't, it will be interesting to see what if any capacity warranty they put on the battery.

Good to know there are 8 ccs chargers. While I think it's the smarter design you have to look at the 500 plus chademo existing and wonder when there might be 500 ccs?
I'm on the east coast and have 8 dcfc in the area of md, dc and northern va. Ccs count is zero
The main supplier of dcfc in this area? Evgo , and Nissan dealers. Obviously Nissan won't be adding ccs, and evgo indicates not much of a chance of ccs being added. All of the evgo units are sumitomo dcfc.
Can they even be modified for ccs?

Used them a fair bit, will be hard to give up if I choose another BEV such as i3 or vw

kmp647 said:
Good to know there are 8 ccs chargers. While I think it's the smarter design you have to look at the 500 plus chademo existing and wonder when there might be 500 ccs?
I'm on the east coast and have 8 dcfc in the area of md, dc and northern va. Ccs count is zero
The main supplier of dcfc in this area? Evgo , and Nissan dealers. Obviously Nissan won't be adding ccs, and evgo indicates not much of a chance of ccs being added. All of he evgo units are sumitomo dcfc.
Can they even be modified for ccs?

Used them a fair bit, will be hard to give up if I choose another BEV such as i3 or vw
NRG (evGO) is required to provide CCS on the 200 QCs they're installing in Ca. in the next three years, once a trigger has been reached. I forget the exact details, but it's something like it kicks in six months after: a car is available that has it (done); and UL-listed CCS chargers are available from two different companies. ABB's is already UL-listed. Efacec's is ETL-listed but I don't know if that's acceptable, and I'm not sure what the status of Eaton's, IES or any of the others is. As to outside California, who knows. It will take one or more of the auto companies or the government to support installations.

Edit. Okay, found a post from Tony Williams over on tmc that gives the details:

Initially all Freedom Stations [Note: NRG evGO in Ca.] shall have:

one (1) or more DC Fast Chargers compatible with the CHAdeMo
Standard and

one (1) Level 2 Charger compatible with the SAE
Standard.

Upon the occurrence of

(A) approval by SAE for a
charger standard for DC Fast Chargers and

(B) the commercial availability from at least two (2) unaffiliated manufacturers of one
or more DC Fast Chargers that are SAE Standard compatible or
equipment capable of making the Freedom Stations’ DC Fast
Chargers compatible with both the SAE Standard and the
CHAdeMo Standard (and in each case that are approved by the
Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories),

then NRG shall have six (6) months to complete the modification of all installed
Freedom Stations to include at least one (1) SAE Standard
compatible DC Fast Charger and one (1) CHAdeMo Standard
compatible DC Fast Charger or one (1) CHAdeMo+SAE DC
Charger. Thereafter, all newly installed Freedom Stations will
have at least one (1) DC Fast Charger that is SAE Standard
compatible.

Wow, no new posts on this in quite awhile ... interesting approach from VW on it's e-Golf; just a quick 'specifications' blurb at the bottom superimposed over the video but they do get a point across with each of these:

http://ecomento.com/2014/07/15/impr...and-ugly-volkswagen-busts-electric-car-myths/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4FoxVYLFak[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L0ECiVjgiM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwH6LyJsSIk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ZHTyF4qw[/youtube]

E-Golf Irish Price list

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw5Jy0zzvTQUVEF1QWgwWUxzalk/edit

Heat pump costs an unknown extra,

No battery heater and from what i can see only a 3.3 Kw charger ?

I think the E-Golf is an epic fail, just look at the way they pack the battery, could have fit in a lot more KWH if the Golf was a proper EV and not a modified version of the Golf ICE.

The battery should have been part of the chassis, instead it takes up a lot of space.

No way in hell I'd pay 33,500 Euro's before the heat pump for this poor excuse of an EV, it's only existence is because the German Government told the car makers to make electric cars. SO they're the Euro equivalent compliance cars.

o00scorpion00o said:
E-Golf Irish Price list

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw5Jy0zzvTQUVEF1QWgwWUxzalk/edit

Heat pump costs an unknown extra,

No battery heater and from what i can see only a 3.3 Kw charger ?

I think the E-Golf is an epic fail, just look at the way they pack the battery, could have fit in a lot more KWH if the Golf was a proper EV and not a modified version of the Golf ICE.

The battery should have been part of the chassis, instead it takes up a lot of space.

No way in hell I'd pay 33,500 Euro's before the heat pump for this poor excuse of an EV, it's only existence is because the German Government told the car makers to make electric cars. SO they're the Euro equivalent compliance cars.
The 3.3 kW charger is a fairly minor issue, given how CCS-2 chargers are springing up all over the EU - 262 by most recent count. And the new Golf is on the MQB chassis, which was specifically designed to allow a variety of powerplants, whether ICE, PHEV, BEV or FCEV. It may be less optimum than one designed purely as a BEV, but it's also going to cost less.

GRA said:
The 3.3 kW charger is a fairly minor issue, given how CCS-2 chargers are springing up all over the EU - 262 by most recent count. And the new Golf is on the MQB chassis, which was specifically designed to allow a variety of powerplants, whether ICE, PHEV, BEV or FCEV. It may be less optimum than one designed purely as a BEV, but it's also going to cost less.

Well it's not costing less than the Leaf that's for sure.

CCS maybe growing in Europe but fast chargers are not without problems, and there are signs of queues at fast charge points.

Renault have the best charger of any production electric vehicle in the world in the Zoe.

In Ireland we have a lot of 22 Kw street charge points, in fact most of them are 3 phase 22 kw. Plenty for a decent charge over lunch.

So based on that the German car companies coming out with only 3.5 Kw to 7 Kw is pretty lame if you ask me.

We know that the Volkswagen group and BMW only created the I3 and the E-Golf due to pressure from Angela's Government. They have no interest in making ev's

TomT said:
Again, I believe it because of how the CARB credits are structured... There is no incentive to go over 100 unless you go way over.
I still believe it to be a scam on the part of the manufactures...

o00scorpion00o said:
It's rather strange that after 3 years 3 months since the release of the Leaf that VW and BMW can only make a car with similar range to the leaf and more expensive.

The six Large Vehicle Manufacturers, including. Nissan, were subject to the CARB-ZEV rule starting in 2012.

Merecedes, BMW, VW, Kia, Mazda, et al are not subject to CARB-ZEV until 2015 model year.

That's why.

TonyWilliams said:
TomT said:
Again, I believe it because of how the CARB credits are structured... There is no incentive to go over 100 unless you go way over.
I still believe it to be a scam on the part of the manufactures...

o00scorpion00o said:
It's rather strange that after 3 years 3 months since the release of the Leaf that VW and BMW can only make a car with similar range to the leaf and more expensive.

The six Large Vehicle Manufacturers, including. Nissan, were subject to the CARB-ZEV rule starting in 2012.

Merecedes, BMW, VW, Kia, Mazda, et al are not subject to CARB-ZEV until 2015 model year.

That's why.

Why does CARB matter so much to the Non U.S car makers outside the U.S? surely wherever you sell a car, if it has more range it will sell more, at least give people an option. BMW could have fit in another few Kwh just look at the Chassis.

CARB doesn't exist in the E.U and we get the same Kwh.

o00scorpion00o said:
Why does CARB matter so much to the Non U.S car makers outside the U.S? surely wherever you sell a car, if it has more range it will sell more, at least give people an option. BMW could have fit in another few Kwh just look at the Chassis.

Because if I'm not mistaken, German car manufacturers (luxury ones especially) sell more cars overseas than at home, with the US I believe being their biggest single market, and California being the biggest automotive market within the US.

o00scorpion00o said:
...So based on that the German car companies coming out with only 3.5 Kw to 7 Kw is pretty lame if you ask me...
Worse than lame. Fortunately reported US e-Golf specs at New Specs For 2015 e-Golf Released By VW, Launches Later This Year :

24.2 kWh lithium-ion battery (701 lbs – 264 individual prismatic cells, which are integrated into 27 modules)
•115 hp / 199 lb-ft of torque electric motor
•7.2 kW onboard charger is standard
•L2 charging - 4 hours
, 110v/120v – 20 hours
•three driver selectable regenerative braking modes
•all-LED headlights
•vehicle weight: 3,090 lbs

KeiJidosha said:
o00scorpion00o said:
...So based on that the German car companies coming out with only 3.5 Kw to 7 Kw is pretty lame if you ask me...
Worse than lame. Fortunately reported US e-Golf specs at New Specs For 2015 e-Golf Released By VW, Launches Later This Year :

24.2 kWh lithium-ion battery (701 lbs – 264 individual prismatic cells, which are integrated into 27 modules)
•L2 charging - 4 hours
, 110v/120v – 20 hours
•all-LED headlights

There must have been a typo in the specs then because vie never heard mention of the e-golf having only a 3.3'kw charger.

RonDawg said:
o00scorpion00o said:

Because if I'm not mistaken, German car manufacturers (luxury ones especially) sell more cars overseas than at home, with the US I believe being their biggest single market, and California being the biggest automotive market within the US.

Wow I didn't realise the U.S would be a German car makers biggest single market. That is interesting. Though when I sit on one I can understand. They are really nice machines to sit I and drive.

What would be the closest U.S car manufacturer to a. German brand ?

o00scorpion00o said:
RonDawg said:

Wow I didn't realise the U.S would be a German car makers biggest single market. That is interesting. Though when I sit on one I can understand. They are really nice machines to sit I and drive.

[/quote][/quote]
At the moment Tesla on the small scale ((say similar to Porsche), but Cadillac is the closest established brand, and some of their models have been beating BMW and Mercedes in some of the auto mags recent comparison tests, e.g. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-cadillac-cts-36-vs-audi-a6-bmw-535i-mercedes-e350-comparison-test-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

o00scorpion00o said:
KeiJidosha said:
o00scorpion00o said:

•L2 charging - 4 hours
, 110v/120v – 20 hours
•all-LED headlights

There must have been a typo in the specs then because vie never heard mention of the e-golf having only a 3.3'kw charger.
Maybe, or maybe with the large number of installed CCS in Europe they don't think the more powerful OBC is really needed, especially since 240V is your standard house receptacle voltage. A 3.3 kW (3.84 kW on the input side) OBC is easier on the grid, too.

Here standard house receptacles are 120V and at the moment CCS QCs are few and far between, so a higher power OBC is more valuable (at home, if you've got to run a special 240V circuit for an EVSE anyway, it doesn't cost that much more to make it a 40A (for 30-32A continuous) circuit instead of a 20A (16 cont.). And most public L2s are 208 or 240 Volts at 30 or 32 amps.

GRA said:
o00scorpion00o said:
RonDawg said:

[/quote]
At the moment Tesla on the small scale ((say similar to Porsche), but Cadillac is the closest established brand, and some of their models have been beating BMW and Mercedes in some of the auto mags recent comparison tests, e.g. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-cadillac-cts-36-vs-audi-a6-bmw-535i-mercedes-e350-comparison-test-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Have to say the new A4 actually looks nicer inside than the A6.

Over here diesels are king, they give great torque and acceleration where you need it more.

The caddy looks a little too Opel inside for me.

I would have thought by now 3.0l engines in the U.S would be getting rare in the U.S ?

GRA said:
Maybe, or maybe with the large number of installed CCS in Europe they don't think the more powerful OBC is really needed, especially since 240V is your standard house receptacle voltage. A 3.3 kW (3.84 kW on the input side) OBC is easier on the grid, too.

Here standard house receptacles are 120V and at the moment CCS QCs are few and far between, so a higher power OBC is more valuable (at home, if you've got to run a special 240V circuit for an EVSE anyway, it doesn't cost that much more to make it a 40A (for 30-32A continuous) circuit instead of a 20A (16 cont.). And most public L2s are 208 or 240 Volts at 30 or 32 amps.

Na 7 kw is not to much for a house supply here, got about 14 kw to play with for the whole house.

Ccs is getting a lot more popular here but still mainly CHAdeMo. A lot of QC have 44 kw AC, CHAdeMo and ccs.

o00scorpion00o said:
Over here diesels are king, they give great torque and acceleration where you need it more.

Traditionally, the passenger car diesel market in the US belonged to Mercedes, and later VW, but other brands are starting to come out with diesels here, or reintroduce them after a long absence. GM has introduced a diesel version of the Chevy Cruze; IIRC, the last time GM sold a diesel passenger car in the US was about 30 years ago. Mazda, who has never sold a diesel car here (only their pickup), is supposed to introduce their SkyActiv-D soon.

The caddy looks a little too Opel inside for me.

Which is ironic given that Cadillac's first attempt at being "European" was the Catera, a poorly executed version of the Opel Omega.

I would have thought by now 3.0l engines in the U.S would be getting rare in the U.S ?

They are slowly going away. The latest Mazda 6 is no longer available with a 6 cylinder engine, only the 4 cylinder SkyActiv petrol. Same with the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima platform twins, and the Ford Fusion (our version of the Mondeo); for these models, turbocharging is the more powerful engine choice.

However our relatively cheap (compared to most parts of the world) petrol means the V-6 engine will be around for some time. It's still a popular option on Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, and Chevy Malibu, and is still standard equipment on many "entry level luxury" cars like the Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES, and Infiniti G37 (or whatever it's called now). Those car makers who are abandoning it for their small and midsize passenger cars are doing so for CAFE reasons.

Back