Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e-Golf 'Police Special' ...

http://autoweek.com/article/car-new...er&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

390865217446982770.jpg

1508776390678366454.jpg

Whats with this 80srange number? as if it is some kind of mathematical constant.

Why can't one guy make a 100+ miles EPA range EV (excluding high end Tesla of course). These me too EVs aren't really setting the EV market on fire.

mkjayakumar said:
Whats with this 80srange number? as if it is some kind of mathematical constant.

Why can't one guy make a 100+ miles EPA range EV (excluding high end Tesla of course). These me too EVs aren't really setting the EV market on fire.
It's related to the # of CA ZEV credits: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (old archive at https://web.archive.org/web/20130903010036/http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Toyota did the Rav4 EV w/other 100 miles of EV range but only sold and leased it in CA. There's no way the vehicle was profitable for them given how much they had to spend on R&D, tooling, support, training, crash testing, etc. + paying Tesla for components.

I guess OEMs don't figure it's worth it to get more ZEV credits at the expense of a higher price, leading to lower sales.

I test drove the e-Golf at the SF Auto Show and when I got out of the car, they pointed out some charge delay button next to the inlet. That surprised me.

I asked the rep if there were any charging timers and they said no. I had quite a conversation w/them telling them why the really should put that on for California (due to our TOU schemes that many will switch to if they have an EV), that the Leaf's had it since day 1, the Model S didn't have it originally but it got added later, Mercedes B-Class ED is one of the only other ones to not have it, etc.

Anyone have details about this delay button and its configurability, if any? It sounded like it only delayed it for a short amount of time and thus seems almost totally pointless. It didn't sound like VW had any plans to add a charging timer... but then again, I've found the knowledge level of auto show test drive reps is YMMV, since many are just contractors working for an agency.

With the Merc lacking them and now VW, it seems like perhaps the Germans just don't get it and why it's important for the largest/one of the largest EV markets in the US?

When I test drove an eGolf at a local dealer, I could swear that the salesman mentioned the charge timers, but that there was no 80% (or similar) mode. I didn't go through the menus though to confirm it myself.

I think that button is the timer override button. If I am correct it is a great feature

Just like the leaf has to the left of the wheel but smartly placed next to the inlet port

It does have a timer. Lots of cool features , wish they had chademo and a larger battery :|

kmp647 said:
I think that button is the timer override button. If I am correct it is a great feature

Just like the leaf has to the left of the wheel but smartly placed next to the inlet port

It does have a timer. Lots of cool features , wish they had chademo and a larger battery :|
I'm now hearing a more info/slightly different story on the BMW i3 group about the e-Golf's timer, from a guy complaining about the e-Golf's "delay feature". Sounds like the rep I spoke to may have been wrong. It sounds like it has a departure timer (only settable thru their app, which nobody told me about) but no way to set a start time.

Unclear now what the button does. Is it to override the timer and start immediately or to force it to delay?

Can any confirm that the e-Golf has a direct heating defroster (or not)? This would be the bee's knees if it does.

Drove one at the LA auto show. Put it into B mode and it drives nice, with strong regen and no creep.

The infotament looks to be about ten years out of date. I could clearly see the pixels on the LCD screen, it was that low of a resolution! Not a fan of the analog gauge cluster ether, although it interestingly includes a power available meter (handy when you're near turtle).

I don't think you could pay me to drive an air cooled pack again. Certainly not a first model year one! :)

NeilBlanchard said:
Can any confirm that the e-Golf has a direct heating defroster (or not)? This would be the bee's knees if it does.
On the VW eGolf site http://www.vw.com/models/e-golf/ scroll to bottom under “Versatility, electrified”, the first bullet point is “Electrically heated windshield”

Facebook site has some comments regarding clarity of the windshield;

“My one pet peeve I've found is the heated windshield... It's fine during the day, but at night I find the wires create a halo around all bright light sources and make the windshield seem dirty.”

KeiJidosha said:
NeilBlanchard said:
On the VW eGolf site http://www.vw.com/models/e-golf/ scroll to bottom under “Versatility, electrified”, the first bullet point is “Electrically heated windshield”

Facebook site has some comments regarding clarity of the windshield;

“My one pet peeve I've found is the heated windshield... It's fine during the day, but at night I find the wires create a halo around all bright light sources and make the windshield seem dirty.”

Thanks for the confirmation. I was hoping that they implemented it like Ford did way back when - which is to put a molecule thickness layer of gold on the glass. This heats the entire surface at once, and it would be visually consistent everywhere, too.

Either way, this is a BIG deal for an EV. This will greatly reduce the loss of range when you need the defroster.

Just got this via email. Actually followed the link to see where I could find one to buy and so far as I can tell there are only 4 available in the whole of LA and only 2 available in Orange County.

Attachments

• egolf.jpg
    egolf.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 119
I think that slogan is just awful. Why would I want an electric car that doesn't drive like one? The quiet, smooth, peppy and "torquey" drive of an EV is a selling point. Almost as bad as the Volt's "Electric when you want it, Gas when you need it" slogan.

(I get that they are referencing the widespread stereotype of electric cars driving like golf carts...I guess it doesn't help that their car is literally called the Golf.)

The AW guys like it quite a bit ... 'new benchmark of EV for the common driver' ...

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2015-volkswagen-e-golf-sel-premium-review-notes

We have a '12 Golf R in the family but obviously no real comparison to this new e-Golf; in general VW Golf's are great compact cars, liked Mark Vaughn comments (who happens to own a Mitsu EV) on its range although our now close to 3 year LEAF has showed as high as a 115 miles of range on its GOM as well.

Back