Orange County, CA, Public Charging stations (J1772 and DCQC)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPVLeaf said:
Here is list of existing public charging stations in Orange County, California (last updated 9/1/12).
This list is grouped by city, and includes J1772 only. I will maintain the list by updating this OP.
Please let me know of any stations that are not on this list, and new stations as they come online.
Feel free to post photos as well.

After long wishing we had a list of charging stations for Orange County like .................snip

Main Place Mall 2800 N. Main St. Santa Ana CA 1 L2 (208V) Clipper Creek

................snip
correction for the actual map link - Main place map shows 2 Clipper Creek L2's, but one is a legacy (paddle) charger. Only one L2, fyi.
smkettner said:
Just four at Spectrum will not be enough IMO. Glad to see them :D
I'd LOVE a QC at Spectrum ... and since the facility is already paying the demand fee .... why not?! ;)

JeremyW said:
JPVLeaf said:
Coming Soon to an Orange County city near you!

Do you know where I am? :p

SPECTRUM! :D

Jeremy
I checked 'em out today. These GE Watt stations require their own access card. With
3 other access cards already causing a wallet bulge - it's no wonder my posture is getting poor.
:?

hill said:
These GE Watt stations require their own access card. With
3 other access cards already causing a wallet bulge - it's no wonder my posture is getting poor.

We have some of those down here in Escondido, and they are free. No card.

hill said:
I checked 'em out today. These GE Watt stations require their own access card. With

No card - there's an app for that (iOS and Android). Scans the QR code on the WattStation and links to a PayPal account (if payment is required).

hill said:
JPVLeaf said:
Main Place Mall 2800 N. Main St. Santa Ana CA 1 L2 (208V) Clipper Creek
correction for the actual map link - Main place map shows 2 Clipper Creek L2's, but one is a legacy (paddle) charger. Only one L2, fyi.
Yes, there is only one Clipper Creek J1772 L2 at the Main Place Mall.

Which "map link - Main place map" shows two Clipper Creek L2s?

hill said:
I checked 'em out today. These GE Watt stations require their own access card. With 3 other access cards already causing a wallet bulge - it's no wonder my posture is getting poor.
You can scan the QR code using a smartphone/iPhone/iPad app, if you have one. Also, no scanning required if no fee applies, as for those at Chapman Univ. Fee will apply, however, to these and the GE Wattstation units at the Irvine Marketplace. ;)

JPVLeaf said:

It's from your link. See your OP. very bottom
"G-map of above sites. To be populated over time."
:)
z0ner said:
No card - there's an app for that (iOS and Android). Scans the QR code on the WattStation and links to a PayPal account (if payment is required).
Thanks for the speedy response.
BUT . . . . on the subject of the Wattstation(s) . . . . I haven't seen or read anything about any resolution to the Wattstation(s) smoking chargers on some Leafs ... or more properly, Nissan's quality being substandard, and the Wattstation enables the Leaf charger's failur:
" .... GE WattStation* and Nissan LEAF** Update ...."

Nissan and GE have completed their investigation into the instances of Nissan LEAFs experiencing on-board charging (OBC) issues when using certain EV chargers. Nissan has traced the root cause of the issue to the LEAFs OBC software that can allow damage to occur to its OBC components while using certain chargers and in certain instances, such as when a brief under voltage or blackout condition occurs. Nissan is working to address this issue as quickly as possible, and in the meantime is advising customers to avoid charging during times when brownouts or momentary power dips may be likely, such as during electrical storms or high power usage on the grid. ...."
http://www.ge-energy.com/leaf-wattstation-facts.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan seems to be tight lipped, as I haven't heard anything from Corporate warning us (only from one bay area dealership). Then again, I had to fight them for over a year before they swapped out my on board charger do to poor RFI supression. Why is GE having to tell us that our chargers can fry during a brown out?!?!? Shouldn't that be Nissan's responsibility?

I guess I won't be charging on a wattstation at Irvine spectrum until I hear otherwise. And OH!!! is that a storm on the horizon? Better call my boss. I can't charge until the storm passes. Welcome to the kinder, more up front Nissan, willing to dialogue the issues.
:lol:

hill said:
JPVLeaf said:

It's from your link. See your OP. very bottom
"G-map of above sites. To be populated over time."
:)
Oh, that map. :p

But it says, "(1) ClipperCreek, L2" for Main Place Mall.
That looks correct to me.

Also, remember this list is for J1772s only.

JPVLeaf said:
hill said:
I checked 'em out today. These GE Watt stations require their own access card. With 3 other access cards already causing a wallet bulge - it's no wonder my posture is getting poor.
You can scan the QR code using a smartphone/iPhone/iPad app, if you have one.

And if you don't?

Does GE have a link on the details? I searched to no avail.

The 25kW Fuji should be on the pad tomorrow. SDG&E should have the meter in shortly. The use fees will be with Chargepoint card of a credit card (by calling the 800 number).

The Nissan dealer and Costco are both nearby.

Residence Inn
33711 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, California 92675
1-949-443-3600

mwalsh said:
That's a bit of a surprise. I thought he was going to go with his own subscription model?
Well, he was going to have his own convenience store/rest stop to go with it, too. This was probably the path of least resistance to get a station out there.

Here's the concrete pad with conduit sticking out, right in front of the two tall bushes. Apparently, it will take many weeks to get the electrical service going, so maybe fully powered by Nov 17 ?

image.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
The 25kW Fuji should be on the pad tomorrow. SDG&E should have the meter in shortly. The use fees will be with Chargepoint card of a credit card (by calling the 800 number).

The Nissan dealer and Costco are both nearby.

Residence Inn
33711 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, California 92675
1-949-443-3600

smkettner said:
$2 per hour for L2 at Spectrum :| will not need these as much as I thought.

Sorry spectrum that is not going to draw me in.

While the cost per kWh is high (for 3.3kW chargers)... also consider how much one can spend at the spectrum. Is $2+ for a charge that much when shopping or on a date. :p

It'll also keep the volts and PiPs away ;)

Just got this off Plugshare:

"Just found out Mitsubishi is not going to let EV drivers charge free anymore.... they are parking all their cars to occupy all the spots. PLEASE DON'T DO THAT . "

Back