Our solar production

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my July utility bill today. As expected, I ended up using 157 more kWh than my solar array produced, because of the increase in both A/C and monsoon rains. Nonetheless, I still have plenty of electrons in the "savings" account, so I continue to drive my Leaf for free. :)

2012_utility.png

2012_distribution.png

2012_evmiles.png

2012_evstats.png

My Sunpower 6.9 kW system (30 Sunpower 230 watt panels) produced
1,246.30 kWh DC / 1,190.03 kWh AC (95.4% efficiency)

July 2012 has been a very good month for me :mrgreen:

For my 5kWh system..

2012_solar.png

As of the end of june, I had a 1.8MWh credit of on peak with the power company. I have overproduced on peak every month since the system was installed in Oct of last year. Depending on how much I have left now that the production is going down due to monsoon season, I may start charging my car on-peak. A battery storage system is looking really enticing right now.

We had more rain in July plus it has been much hotter here, so the numbers are down a little from May and June.

Here are our numbers so far this year:

• Jan 2012: 0869 kWh
    Feb 2012: 1085 kWh
    Mar 2012: 1351 kWh
    Apr 2012: 1465 kWh
    May 2012: 1478 kWh
    Jun 2012: 1478 kWh
    Jul 2012: 1396 kWh
    -------------------------
    2012 Tot: 9122 kWh

dgpcolorado said:
I increased my solar array a week ago:

I am now at 2170 watts, which should be enough to cover all of my household use and nearly all of my LEAF driving. It isn't remotely cost-effective but it is nice to drive on "sunpower". I installed my original panels four years ago as "phase 1" of a future electric car.
Nice! I often wondered what kind of increase our PV might have on trackers - but with the high efficiency systems now available, the folks we talked to all seemed to coroborate e/other - that the expense of install/equipment/maintenance is outweighed by the ever shrinking benefit of increased production. Hard to imagine.

hill said:
Nice! I often wondered what kind of increase our PV might have on trackers - but with the high efficiency systems now available, the folks we talked to all seemed to coroborate e/other - that the expense of install/equipment/maintenance is outweighed by the ever shrinking benefit of increased production. Hard to imagine.

From the research I did there isn't any good way to track on standard residential roof installations. The added complexity of maintenance, lifespan, and cost is probably not worth it even on pole mounted installations. Up here though tracking can add an additional 25%. Using PVWatts you can see how the different variables like this, tilt, orientation, etc. affect output.

QueenBee said:
hill said:

From the research I did there isn't any good way to track on standard residential roof installations. The added complexity of maintenance, lifespan, and cost is probably not worth it even on pole mounted installations. Up here though tracking can add an additional 25%. Using PVWatts you can see how the different variables like this, tilt, orientation, etc. affect output.

I wonder if there are pole or ground mounted arrays that support some sort of relatively inexpensive 'macro' tracking, ie you permanently aim it south (in the northern hemisphere), but then manually adjust the angle seasonally to generally point more directly at the arc of the sun through the sky. Seems like it would be drastically cheaper than having motors etc - just some extra holes in the mount and some time to move a bolt. Or are the cells not sensitive enough to such a modest level of variation in the perpendicularness to be worth even doing it once a month? It seems that the change in our production from summer to winter is due in some part to the worsening angles, not just the length of the day - but I could be wrong about that.

wsbca said:
QueenBee said:
hill said:
I wonder if there are pole or ground mounted arrays that support some sort of relatively inexpensive 'macro' tracking, ie you permanently aim it south (in the northern hemisphere), but then manually adjust the angle seasonally to generally point more directly at the arc of the sun through the sky. Seems like it would be drastically cheaper than having motors etc - just some extra holes in the mount and some time to move a bolt. Or are the cells not sensitive enough to such a modest level of variation in the perpendicularness to be worth even doing it once a month? It seems that the change in our production from summer to winter is due in some part to the worsening angles, not just the length of the day - but I could be wrong about that.
I don't use auto-trackers because the cost is very high. My understanding is that trackers aren't really cost-effective although I do have an off-grid friend who uses them. (She says that hers have issues that can make them a problem.) On the other hand, my solar panels aren't remotely cost-effective, so ultimately it comes down to how much one wants to spend.

However, one reason I like my pole mounted panels, besides not having to put holes in my precious roof or lines through my attic, is that I can adjust the pitch of my panels ten times a year to optimize production. Standard pole mounts have holes in them for 15º, 25º, 35º, 45º, 55º, and 65º. 15º is just about perfect for the months surrounding the summer solstice at my latitude (38ºN) and 65º is just about right for the months around the winter solstice. "Perpendicularness" does matter in my experience. The other thing that matters is temperature, cold panels produce a lot more electricity than warm ones, for a given solar input. And my sense is that pole mounted panels will stay cooler than roof mounted ones, although that's just a guess. It is also much easier to pull snow off—or wash dirt off—my pole mounted panels than it would be for roof mounted panels (I use a window squeegee on a long painter's pole).

Years ago when I put in my first array I wrote a spreadsheet that calculated and plotted the angle of the sun at solar max on each day of the year. I then used the data to choose times of the year to make the angle switches and a calendar program to remind me. I've tweaked them since and find that low angles in the spring and summer and high angles in the fall and winter work best, so I tend to move through the available pitch angles quickly around the equinoxes. [If you've ever seen that figure 8 shaped analemma on a world globe you may have noticed that the sun angle changes quickly at the equinoxes and slowly at the solstices.] My next pitch adjustment, to 25º, will be on August 19th. The picture upthread shows my panels at 15º and my avatar to the left shows them at 65º.

On the subject of production: July was pretty cloudy here and my production was down 10% from last year on my old array and was the lowest in the four years I have been keeping track.

35 SunPower 228W / Enphase M190 - 8kW DC / 6.7kW AC

Date......Monthly....Year to Date..Daily Peak

Jan 2012: 937 kWh, 937 kWh, 39.79 kWh
Feb 2012: 970 kWh, 1910 kWh, 43.57 kWh
Mar 2012: 1210 kWh, 3120 kWh, 50.72 kWh
Apr 2012: 1267 kWh, 4380 kWh, 54.18 kWh
May 2012: 1390 kWh, 5770 kWh, 53.6 kWh
Jun 2012: 1460 kWh,
July 2012: 1400 kWh,

http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Ukwf22392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Year to Date: 8.63 MWh

RegGuheert said:
I don't recognize the signature on the mornings of Saturday, August 4, and Saturday, August 5. Is that fog?

LNEMLCFOFFF

“Late-night and early-morning low clouds and fog, otherwise fair, fair, fair!”

Typical coastal Southern California dry season weather (April through October).

RegGuheert said:
TonyWilliams said:
http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Ukwf22392
Tony, I don't recognize the signature on the mornings of Saturday, August 4, and Saturday, August 5. Is that fog?

Probably fog. Normal for us in "gray May" and "June gloom"; not so normal now. The fog usually burns off by 10am. I'm actually not in the "real" fog zone, at 580 feet elevation, and about 10 miles inland. But, I can see the coast out my window.

We leave an easy 25kWh surpluss (per day) on the grid during mid summer. Yesterday was the 1st 'real' AC day we had in our area. It gets to be a 'real AC day' only after long summer days that are reasonably warm - followed by 90-ish degree days. Our AC is our last electricity pig we need to replace - the compressor being over 15 years old. BAM. Instead of 25kWh left on the grid - we only left 5. :(
Since 2009 we've pushed the kWh meter about 5,000kWh backwards, above what we use. Once the AC goes, I'm looking forward to seeing the hot days diminish the surplus a whole lot more.

The thing with a new compressor though, you also need to make certain your venting is well insulated, and that the plenum inside the blower is sufficiently large - otherwise your system ends up wasting some of a new compressor's efficiency.

I'm running a 1080kw system (48 x 220 Evergreen panels) 12 panels on four independently single axis tracking arrays. Each array is a fix pitch of 30 degrees (middle GA is 32 degrees North). They each face south and rotate from East to West. A very simple mount using twin poles. Added cost to make each array track was about $400.00 over the cost of a fix one for a total of $1,600. At the time the panels alone costed about $24,000.00 so I felt the additional 20 - 25% output was worth it.

This year the weather has been way off in middle GA. Lots of clouds and very little rain. No sun means no power. Luckily no sun also means temps were lower so AC doesn't work as hard so net results utilities bills are still running low.

Jan 950.533 kWh 98.91% of PC Watts estimate
Feb 872.865 kWh 74.22%
Mar 1,374.626 kWh 90.02%
Apr 1,564.909 kWh 97.75%
May 1,401.837 kWh 87.34%
Jun 1,331.614 kWh 93.38%
Jul 1,431.203 kWh 94.03%

So far Aug has been very bad and is shaping up to be as bad as Feb. As of the 25th I have only produced 983.803 and the forcast for the rest of the month is not good. Something about a small storm coming up the Gulf. Seems to have affected the opening day of the GOP convention as well. I'll be lucky to hit 75% of PC Watts estimate for my area. Like I said, this year has been very bad. I don't mind the rain, but all clouds and no rain???

My arrays may not be as fine as others, but they were simple and have not needed any maintenance for the last two years.

A/C died on Friday night (of course). System is a 21 year old 10 SEER Trane (really, nothing runs like a trane).

Replaced with a 17.25 SEER, dual compressor Trane.

Expecting to see a big reduction in both on-peak and off-peak electricity usage.

Now, my solar trumps my usage. Trane and Sun power, what a combination (throw in Hayward VSP too).

SilverLeaf said:
A/C died on Friday night (of course). System is a 21 year old 10 SEER Trane (really, nothing runs like a trane).

Replaced with a 17.25 SEER, dual compressor Trane.

Expecting to see a big reduction in both on-peak and off-peak electricity usage.

Now, my solar trumps my usage. Trane and Sun power, what a combination (throw in Hayward VSP too).

How many tons was your system and who did you use--and were you happy with the install and price? Ours is about 12 years old and is only 12 SEER, so I've been thinking about a replacement. I have some gas appliances that I could switch to electric if I replace the AC system, since I would have more headroom with our solar system if I did make a change.

Back