Outdoor rated Level 2 - 30A EVSE that uses a plug?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyZEVer

I would like to split the usage of a Level 2 - 30A EVSE between an indoor location and an outdoor location (not close to each other). I'd put a mounting bracket in each location and just move the plug-in EVSE as needed.

It seems that most EVSEs that are not-hardwired are not outdoor rated. Looking through the details, many seem to have language stating "outdoor rated but this rating applies to hard-wired applications only" or something similar.

I did just want to get the Nissan Branded AV EVSE but it had the same disclaimer. So am I right in assuming there are no EVSEs that are outdoor rated that use plugs? If I am incorrect, please let me know what models meet my criteria!

Suggestions appreciated. Wish to be kosher, protect against any sprinkler mishaps and avoid any problems with my strict municipality.

Sorry if this is a newbie question, still learning much! :lol:

happyZEVer said:
I would like to split the usage of a Level 2 - 30A EVSE between an indoor location and an outdoor location (not close to each other). I'd put a mounting bracket in each location and just move the plug-in EVSE as needed.

It seems that most EVSEs that are not-hardwired are not outdoor rated. Looking through the details, many seem to have language stating "outdoor rated but this rating applies to hard-wired applications only" or something similar.

I did just want to get the Nissan Branded AV EVSE but it had the same disclaimer. So am I right in assuming there are no EVSEs that are outdoor rated that use plugs? If I am incorrect, please let me know what models meet my criteria!

Suggestions appreciated. Wish to be kosher, protect against any sprinkler mishaps and avoid any problems with my strict municipality.

Sorry if this is a newbie question, still learning much! :lol:

I suspect (but don't know for a fact) that the problem is with the plug connection - there may not be any outdoor rated dryer type plugs. You might look into an outdoor rated generator to house feed box - usually a male connector inside a weatherproof housing. Then you'd have to come up with a safe connection to your EVSE. You might be able to manage this by using a short generator connect cable and an adapter plug, with the adapter assembly located inside a weatherproof housing. You would end up with an EVSE semi-permanently mated to a short generator cable, which you could plug into generator outlets at each location. Even if works, though, local building codes might make it illegal...

http://honda.leviton.com/infocenter/evse-fact-sheet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Per this sheet (which I think is confirmed elsewhere too), it is against the National Electric Code (NEC) to have a 240v EVSE connected outdoors with a plug. Hard-wired is ok.

I am in a similar situation with a need to move the unit between 3 or 4 locations, with at least two being rural outdoor locations. I'm not too concerned about the code Gestapo. I don't plan to charge in the snow or rain so don't see a problem with safety.

ITestStuff said:
http://honda.leviton.com/infocenter/evse-fact-sheet

Per this sheet (which I think is confirmed elsewhere too), it is against the National Electric Code (NEC) to have a 240v EVSE connected outdoors with a plug. Hard-wired is ok.

I wonder what they do in Europe where there is no 120?

DaveInKansas said:
I am in a similar situation with a need to move the unit between 3 or 4 locations, with at least two being rural outdoor locations. I'm not too concerned about the code Gestapo. I don't plan to charge in the snow or rain so don't see a problem with safety.
You could install one of these RV outlets at each location.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-50-Amp-Temporary-RV-Power-Outlet-U054P/100193650#.Uc3Fo5zgyvQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Then do an evse upgrade with the proper adapter.
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, the code generally discourages 240v outlets outside, even though 240V is no higher voltage referenced to ground than 120V. Keep in mind the electrical code is written by the NFPA which was founded and run by the insurance companies. Their goal is to reduce claims, pure and simple. As a side-effect, we get a very safe electrical system here in the US, but it's more expensive and complicated, and it has many limitations. People all over the rest of the world often enjoy 240V outlets inside and out that can usually provide 3kW to appliances, while we are stuck with about half that!

The reality is if you install a 240V outlet outdoors, such as a compact NEMA twist-lock, and use a weatherproof housing that protects the connection for weather, it's going to be no more dangerous than a 120V outlet. This is especially true if you use a GFCI breaker to protect it. The 240V outlet is still only two "hots" that are 120v over ground, so any leakage current subjects a person to no more risk. In fact, using a twist-lock 240V outlet protected by a GFCI might actually be safer!

To be clear: I'm not advising anyone do anything dangerous, and they should always obey and codes and protocols required in their locality.

Our upgraded units are fully portable and thousands of people use them outside every day without incident, so this speaks for itself. All you need is a NEMA L6-30 outlet with a weatherproof cover, and you'll be able to charge your LEAF fully in 3-5 hours, and retain full portability.

-Phil

I'm guessing this is something specific to EVSEs, as RV parks have exposed 14-50 outlets, don't they?

lion said:
I'm guessing this is something specific to EVSEs, as RV parks have exposed 14-50 outlets, don't they?
They have a door or cover over the outlets.

I would ignor NEC and just plug in already. Leviton had a quick release mounting plate on the first generation EVSEs.

Otherwise two units are in order. Possibly use your upgraded brick at one location.

Ingineer said:
To be clear: I'm not advising anyone do anything dangerous, and they should always obey and codes and protocols required in their locality.
You obviously have a lot of experience in this area. Are you aware of any jurisdictions in the US where following NEC guidelines is not the *minimum* to pass local city/state inspection? Not trolling, serious question. Seems like a region might make a few tweaks to them, but that they'd use the NEC guidelines as their baseline.

ITestStuff said:
Ingineer said:
You obviously have a lot of experience in this area. Are you aware of any jurisdictions in the US where following NEC guidelines is not the *minimum* to pass local city/state inspection? Not trolling, serious question. Seems like a region might make a few tweaks to them, but that they'd use the NEC guidelines as their baseline.

A good example of what you are smog about is that professional installations performed by Ecotality hired electrical contractors and inspected by the local jurisdictions allowed Blink EVSEs to be installed outside with a 240 volt receptacle and weather resistant cover. I don't know if this was because people were not aware of this NEC rule or just ignored it though.

related question: what is the definition of 'outdoor'? Does my barn, with sliding hanging barn doors, weatherproof but a 6" opening under the doors, qualify as 'indoors'? i.e., squirrels can get in, snow will sneak in a little under the doors, but the barn is dry. I would love to put in a plug-in EVSE and not hardwired.

thanks for any insights!

A little off-topic, but not much: what is the best inexpensive outdoor-rated L-2 EVSE? I'm considering putting one in the front yard near the road, so that I can plug the Leaf into that, while the new Prius PIP could use the Leaf's or its own EVSE at the current garage location. I'm talking about no more than $600 if possible, but while I can wire it, I can't build my own...

Siemens Versicharge 30A - order the version with cord on the bottom
Also has delay timer.

LeftieBiker said:
A little off-topic, but not much: what is the best inexpensive outdoor-rated L-2 EVSE? I'm considering putting one in the front yard near the road, so that I can plug the Leaf into that, while the new Prius PIP could use the Leaf's or its own EVSE at the current garage location. I'm talking about no more than $600 if possible, but while I can wire it, I can't build my own...
I would go Clipper Creek LCS-25. It is not quite full power for a 6.0 charger but will work just fine.

srl99 said:
Siemens Versicharge 30A - order the version with cord on the bottom
Also has delay timer.

Too much $$$ I'm afraid, and I don't need that much power. L-1 would actually work, but the least expensive one of those I see is $495. The fact that Clipper Creek has an L-2 for the same sale price as their L-1 sale price is...odd.

smkettner said:
LeftieBiker said:
I would go Clipper Creek LCS-25. It is not quite full power for a 6.0 charger but will work just fine.

That looks like a very good deal. Any idea how much longer the "August" sale price will last? We don't sign the PIP lease until Monday, but should know for sure we have it today (Friday). Finally, I have no experience with outdoor 240 volt cable. I assume it exists, but is it extremely hard to bend? Price, and best place to get it?

smkettner said:
Any decent hardware store will have wire and/or conduit as needed for outdoor connection.
You probably need two pole 30a breaker and #10 conductors.

I understand that I can find cable in most hardware stores. I was wondering about how hard working with outdoor-rated #10 cable would be on my slightly crippled hands. (As I recall, even #14 outdoor cable can be a PITA to bend , cut and strip.) I was also wondering if there is a better place to get the stuff.

Back