Parallel vs. Series Hybrid

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to think that most people are sufficiently intelligent than to fall for the hybrid marketing nonsense/fraud that the makers of hybrids peddle constantly.
My daughter's family owns a Leaf and plug-in hybrid with a Level 2 charger in their garage. She commutes to work with the hybrid on 100% battery power for a few days at a time before needing to charge the battery. She can go months at a time between fuel fill-ups and has dramatically cut their fuel usage. When they want to travel into the remote mountains of Colorado, they have no worries since the ICE engine takes over. I would say this is an extremely intelligent use of hybrid technology while eliminating lots of fuel use and pollution.

Last edited:
Really interesting discussion everyone. Learned a bunch of stuff. Thank you for that.

As I am approaching retirement, and own several cars that are getting on in years as well (a temporary extravagance - there's a certain amount of "it's now or never" going on in our lives after now 10 years of serious medical issues cramping our life-styles, long story), I've been watching the car market with an eye towards understanding our options when we downsize for a fixed income.

In my signature you see we own very different cars - right tool for the job kind of mindset here. I don't know that we'll keep the Leaf much longer, I've been waiting to see how the J3400 charge standard gets adopted. As things stand, I'd prolly buy an EV6 or something like it, but I'd prefer something closer to the Leaf in size and price. For the moment, I don't see a better alternative, and the Leaf has been holding up well.

For a second vehicle, I've been thinking possibly something like a RAV4 Prime. Our Audi is also our tow vehicle, so we wouldn't make that move until we also sell our camper. The roadster will go when it gets cranky and begins costing us maintenance. It's just a fair weather fun car. We've put just 8k miles in 7 years on it (purchased used).

As to our carbon footprint, we've been pursuing more recently a reduction in our home - although we still heat with gas, we now have enough solar to more than meet our needs and just added a whole-house battery for backup. We have also participated in our local wind source program for going on 30 years, basically since we bought our first house. Our house is also far better insulated than most, which rather drastically reduces heating and cooling needs.

I love my Rav4 Prime and it has been perfect for my use. EV on nearly all local trips and ICE for the road trips.

But you mentioned towing and the towing capacity of the Rav4P is quite low. I don't know if that applies to all PHEV cars but I wouldn't be surprised if it does since the electric motor is an integral part of the drive train at all times. Be sure to check towing capacity of the car if you are planning to tow anything.

I love my Rav4 Prime and it has been perfect for my use. EV on nearly all local trips and ICE for the road trips.

But you mentioned towing and the towing capacity of the Rav4P is quite low. I don't know if that applies to all PHEV cars but I wouldn't be surprised if it does since the electric motor is an integral part of the drive train at all times. Be sure to check towing capacity of the car if you are planning to tow anything.
Definitely not a tow vehicle. Having now towed through the mountains with a diesel, there's really no comparison. We get 20mpg while towing at highway speeds through the Rockies. Despite all the other concerns with diesel, for this particular use case, it's head and shoulders different.

Back