Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice and link. Does anyone have any idea on what we might price it for?

It was bought May 2011 and has almost exactly 10,000 miles on it. SL-e with quick charge port, carpeted mats, splash guards, cargo cover, and tinted windows. It's in excellent condition.

Thanks again.

keyman said:
Thanks for the advice and link. Does anyone have any idea on what we might price it for?

It was bought May 2011 and has almost exactly 10,000 miles on it. SL-e with quick charge port, carpeted mats, splash guards, cargo cover, and tinted windows. It's in excellent condition.

Thanks again.
I think it'd probably be fair to take the out-the-door cost minus $7500 (tax credit) minus 1/8 to 1/10 of that balance (considering that you've already used up 10K miles out of the 8 year/100K mile battery warranty) as the start-out asking price and negotiate from there.

There's also an intangible "used" factor that's not factored into the above yet that buyers will probably subtract from that asking price.

If you want to offer a more attractive pricing to move it faster, maybe instead of using the out-the-door cost with the sales tax included, use the before-tax cost instead to start out with, so the buyer feels like they're getting a good deal for not having to pay for the sales tax because they're buying a used car. Or split the tax cost with them. Otherwise, buyers may just opt to buy a new Leaf instead if they don't think they're getting a good deal out of a used Leaf.

keyman said:
First time poster, long time lurker.

I've had my leaf for a year now and I love the car. Unfortunately my wife and I are separating and neither one of us can keep the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get rid of it? Should we just bite the bullet and take the loss as a trade in? I'm not sure what type of market there would be for a used electric car if we tried to sell it privately.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oooo. Temping. I've been mostly lurking here since Statik stopped writing his site. I haven't bought a Leaf yet for various reasons.

There's always the Marketplace on this forum for listing it too. There are probably plenty of people who prefer to buy used.

nrgrevolution said:
Hello RickS,

The wife and I recently (last Dec) drove up to Prescott to buy a handgun, and scope out the possibility of driving the leaf up there some time. My plan was to stop at the RV/campgrounds at the Cordes Junction. They have 40 to 50 amp service in some spots and using ingineer's adapted 110v to 220v charger with appropriate pigtail one would be able to top off at L2, get a bit to eat at their restaurant and make it to Prescott.
We stopped at the park, looked around, then quickly got approached by the owners, nice couple wondering if we had questions/needed help. A long and positive discussion ensued with the owners being very open to installing L2 blinks and possibly an L3. After which we arrived in Prescott, went to Lamb's to see the NON existing chargers. They had none and no plans to install at that time. Upon returning home, I was disappointed by the 2 lane 80 mph traffic and LARGE, and seemingly never ending hills I vaguely remembered from my last trip to Prescott some 20 years earlier.

This emptied any aspirations I had of the trip with the leaf. If I had the entire road to myself the entire way and a full charge at Anthem, I'd love to try it, and I know I'd make it. But, that ain't gonna happen :| Good luck if you try, and if want, call the owners of the park and hook em up with Blink.

You're right, I just went up to Prescott this weekend. Lamb Nissan has no chargers so the only way to do it would be to charge at RV parks, perhaps Black Canyon City and/or Cordes Junction. The drive back would be doable on a charge most likely. The only non I-17 way there is via dirt roads which are rough in spots. I give up, unless they put in L3 along the way.

Here are the photos to show my 151 miles on one charge, m/kW h, and temp starting with the EV Efficiency Rally that was May 6, 2012:
2873hh2.jpg

Hey - does anyone else think Phoenix and Tucson should have its own sticky or subforum? There's been a lot of chatter about capacity loss in our area and I actually didn't even know about the Phoenix area EV Rally recently where LEAFan hit the big 151.

Seems like we have a lot to discuss and share specific to our area. This thread is so long and it's a but hard to find info.

Anyone else agree? If theres's enough support, perhaps we can submit a request to a moderator?

Hey everyone, new Phoenix member here! My wife and I are looking at leasing a Nissan Leaf and have a few questions, hoping you guys can help us out.

First off, we almost pulled the trigger on a white Leaf this past weekend but really weren't ready yet. Now I wish we would have as I think we had a good deal on the table but we went in to just check out the car for a possible replacement of one of our current cars, we did not have the intention to leave home with one that day. Now a few days later and a lot more reading, we definitely want to move forward.

So the first question I have is about the EVSE thru the EV Project program. From what I understand, you can get a free EVSE, including install, when purchasing or leasing a Leaf. How does the process work though? I heard you have to have a home evaluation done first? I would think we should do this first before we lease the car. How much does this evaluation cost and who do we contact to get it done?

Assuming that goes through ok, whats the timeframe to having the EVSE installed after you bring the car home? The dealership was ready to send us home with the car on Sataurday but it dawned on me "How exactly would we charge this without the home charger?" The trickle charger isn't really a realistic option. Are there any out of pocket costs associated with getting the EVSE installed or is the whole thing covered under the EV Project?

I appreiacte any advice you guys can give and I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions, I'm very excited about this whole process and car. :)

I don't think you can get into the EVProject anymore but I might be wrong.
Contact them here http://www.theevproject.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know how long it would take, if you could get in. Between the assessment, approval, and install, several weeks at a minimum.

If you do get in, yes, you need to get an assessment before they approve you. If you qualify, and the install is not super difficult, it's all free. If you don't qualify, you are on your own. You'll need to get an EVSE installed yourself or I suppose through nissan. Though the nissan deal is a bit pricey. Might be better off just buying an EVSE and hiring someone install it for you. As an alternative, you can just have the 110V EVSE that comes with the car upgraded to a full level 2 EVSE (http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) then all you need is an outlet in your garage. That takes about a week or so with ground shipping. This is by far the cheapest solution and just as good as a "permanent" EVSE. I have one I use to charge at my office.. It works great.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. The sales guy at Peoria Nissan said that charger and install would be free through the EV Project, he didn't indicate that the program is over. I need to give them a call.

My next door neighbor just had an EV Project Blink installed two days ago and he said that this was the last month of the program. I'd make the call ASAP to see if you can still get in line.

I talked to them this morning and they said the program is still ongoing and that we fully qualify in our zip code.
They then had me call Nissan to get some survey sent to me but when I did, Nissan said they can't get me the survey until after I have the vehicle. Nissan then said to call Ecotality back and have them send me the survey to start the process.

Would really like to get in on this program to save from having to buy my own EVSE. One of the main reasons we are looking to lease a Leaf is for the cost savings over our current car, but if costs start adding up, it may not be as big of an advantage for the Leaf.

To update, I called Ecotality back and they said the EV Project program does not expire until April 2013. We however ran into another snag...we currently rent our home (will actually be purchasing it but not until Feb/March 2013) and one of the qualifiers for the EV Project is that the mortgage must be in your name.

So going back to the evseupgrade.com route, it seems to only be $239? That's very reasonable. We would have to have a plug installed in the garage as well though, any idea on the cost of that? I'm guessing I can't just plug into the 240V dryer outlet? :D

HXGuy said:
... I'm guessing I can't just plug into the 240V dryer outlet? :D
You'd be guessing wrong. You certainly can use it to charge the vehicle. If the dryer is using it, I'd go ahead and install a dedicated outlet rather than constantly plugging and unplugging...the receptacle isn't built for that. But if it's open go for it. Also, if the receptacle is old or in bad shape, I'd replace it with a new one.

How cooperative would your landlord be? Maybe they'd let you in if he signed an agreement as well.

I agree, you can use your dryer plug with no issues, especially if it isn't being used for the dryer anyways.

You can get your EVSE upgraded, then you can buy and adapter from here:

http://evseadapters.com/products.php

Also, if you have two standard 120V outlets in your garage, you can build or buy a 'Quick220' box which will utilize two outlets (on separate legs of a 240 circuit) to get what you need for the EVSE updgrade.

If your landlord is hesitant about the Blink, I'd go the EVSE upgrade route, then you can take it with you anyways.

The landlord wouldn't have a problem with the Blink, but it wouldn't qualify through the program so that route seems to be closed for now.

There are two 120V outlets in the garage but one is a GFCI and I understand that won't work. I think the best option would be to have a dedicated 240V outlet installed in the garage as the dryer outlet is in use by the dryer, which is actually in the laundry "room" (more like a hallways between the garage into the house, but it is separated by the garage-house door.

Called an electrician that I've used before and was quoted ~$225 to have a dedicated 240V outlet installed in the garage. Sound about right?

HXGuy said:
.. Called an electrician that I've used before and was quoted ~$225 to have a dedicated 240V outlet installed in the garage. Sound about right?
Sounds quite reasonable. Don't forget to check out Open EVSE if you're handy with electric wiring and electronics. In fact, check it out anyway just because it's cool.

Back