Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WINDOW TINT
I had my Leaf tinted today at Bills Custom (http://www.billscustom.com) in Chandler.
He has a nice shop at his Home, very clean and professional, not like some other places I checked out and he also can come to your House.
He uses Suntek Window Films(http://www.suntekfilms.com), which are made in USA.
You can choose between Suntek "High Performance" and "Carbon", which are both considered the best Tint Films on the Market.
I picked the Suntek Carbon tint, which does not interfere with your cell phone in the car like maybe some other metal based films.
He did the AZ legal 35%VLT in front doors including the little quarter window by the dash and 18%VLT all around the back windows.
Limo tint (5%VLT) in the back is a little dark for me at night, that's why I went with the 18%.

Bill did a great job and I can highly recommend him to everybody.
He does this for 18 years and you can tell watching him.
He has a lot of big customers and actually he tints the Nissan Factory Cars at the AZ Proofing Grounds.
I also let him install a Sun Strip (5%VLT) on the windshield, which already helped a lot today during sun down.
The Price was the best I found for the same or similar quality film and I called 9 different tint places in the Chandler/Gilbert/Tempe area.

My Silver Leaf looks awesome !! :D

azknauer said:
The Price was the best I found for the same or similar quality film and I called 9 different tint places in the Chandler/Gilbert/Tempe area.

So how much was it including the 5% windshield strip? SilverLeaf said his was around $130 including the 'strip'.

LEAFfan said:
azknauer said:

So how much was it including the 5% windshield strip? SilverLeaf said his was around $130 including the 'strip'.

:?: $130 for what kind of film?? :?:

Every tint looks good when professionally installed, no matter what grade you get.
The cheapest tinting offer I found overall was $155+$30 (front 32%, rear 13%, strip 6%) for Solar Guard HP Film which is low end Charcoal dyed Film.
A very well known tint shop in Gilbert told me $199+$40 for the strip for "LLumar ATC" (low end) and $399+$40 for "Pinnacle Series".
My question would be "What Film did SilverLeaf get for $130 and where??".

azknauer said:

He didn't say:

On 4/29/11, SilverLeaf said:
Just finished getting my LEAF Tinted.

Legal, all around. 35% on driver/passenger, 20% on rear passenger, 20% on rear window and front visor (AS-1).
Excellent quality film (he does all of my friend's BMW Dealership cars with the same film).
Total Cost $130 + $20 for the front visor. PM me, if you'd like his contact info.

Really convenient too. He comes to the house, and installs on your premises.

Front/Rear/Left/Right photos are available here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56626019@N05/5669913027/

leafkabob said:
azknauer said:

He didn't say:

On 4/29/11, SilverLeaf said:
Just finished getting my LEAF Tinted.

Legal, all around. 35% on driver/passenger, 20% on rear passenger, 20% on rear window and front visor (AS-1).
Excellent quality film (he does all of my friend's BMW Dealership cars with the same film).
Total Cost $130 + $20 for the front visor. PM me, if you'd like his contact info.

Really convenient too. He comes to the house, and installs on your premises.

Front/Rear/Left/Right photos are available here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56626019@N05/5669913027/

I highly doubt that he got a quality film for that price.
The dealers don't spend much on those upgrades, they just charge you a lot.
I'm going to PM SilverLeaf to find out what kind of film he got. :D

Nissan or any dealer do not tint windows. The guy that did mine said he does a lot of window tinting for dealer in Scottsdale. The dealer just rise the price to get a free cut of your money. The higher cost does not mean better quality.

Gonewild said:
Nissan or any dealer do not tint windows. The guy that did mine said he does a lot of window tinting for dealer in Scottsdale. The dealer just rise the price to get a free cut of your money. The higher cost does not mean better quality.

Yes, I know the dealers don't do this, they have a "guy" who does this for them and he gets about $100 to $130 for a tint depending on the type of car. This guy makes his profit by the high number of cars he does for the dealer, but he still cannot install a high quality film at that price.
The dealer charges you then $300 to $400 for a low grade film.
The bad part is that you can't tell the difference between a high grade or low grade film just by looking at it, because they all look great if installed professionally.

since this thread is getting so long and about many topics, I posted a new topic/question about AZ registration in the Regional/Local discussions area... I hope somebody has some helpful advice for me, you are all very knowledgable (and you dont take no crap!) thanks- PP

azpaula said:
since this thread is getting so long and about many topics, I posted a new topic/question about AZ registration in the Regional/Local discussions area... I hope somebody has some helpful advice for me, you are all very knowledgable (and you dont take no crap!) thanks- PP

Hi Paula. I don't know the answer to your question, but I didn't want you to feel ignored. ;)

I don't know if this will be helpful (as I haven't read it) but this link seems to have quite a bit about the reduced registration tax for ev's in AZ. There are even copies of the actual statutes involved!

http://www.nissanusa.com/ev/media/pdf/incentives/nissan-leaf-incentive-2.pdf

azpaula said:

Hi,
please check here.
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/AlternativeFuel.asp

Basically it is about $32 per year.
The dealer has to charge you full normal retail fees, but you get a check for the difference from the DMV.
:D

azknauer said:
azpaula said:

Hi,
please check here.

The dealer has to charge you full normal retail fees, but you get a check for the difference from the DMV.

No, the dealer does not have to charge you as a normal vehicle. I know of a couple local buyers (through local dealers) that have only paid the normal small EV registration cost.

Skywagon said:
azknauer said:
azpaula said:

Hi,
please check here.

No, the dealer does not have to charge you as a normal vehicle. I know of a couple local buyers (through local dealers) that have only paid the normal small EV registration cost.

:( Yes, I know other's don't, but "Power Nissan Chandler" does, because they are "not equipped " for doing this the correct way!!
Like I said before, I can't believe that they sell any cars at all.?
I should have checked them out before I chose them for the Leaf delivery!! :?:

azknauer said:
Skywagon said:
azknauer said:
Hi,
please check here.

:( Yes, I know other's don't, but "Power Nissan Chandler" does, because they are "not equipped " for doing this the correct way!!

What I am waiting to see is if you end up with a check from the state of AZ or from Power Nissan Chandler for a refund. If it is from the dealer then I will say that they sat on your $ for X time and collected that much more interest over just $3X dollars in fees. They issue 30-45 day temp tags (most dealers) so that they can delay submitting the $ to the state for the registration/sales taxes/fees/etc. so that they can make the interest on that $. Add up all the transactions per month and that can be a decent amount of money.

cross-post:

thanks guys... gonna play by the rules and do the AF plate- and as discussed above, just try to get my current personalization onto new plate at a future date. Mabe I AM the only one with ELCTRC and since its taken by me on my current plate it is classified as TAKEN across all plate types- that would be nice.

feeling a bit pushed around by "the Man", but all of your input has helped me feel better- like we are all in this together :)

azknauer said:
Skywagon said:
azknauer said:

What I am waiting to see is if you end up with a check from the state of AZ or from Power Nissan Chandler for a refund. If it is from the dealer then I will say that they sat on your $ for X time and collected that much more interest over just $3X dollars in fees. They issue 30-45 day temp tags (most dealers) so that they can delay submitting the $ to the state for the registration/sales taxes/fees/etc. so that they can make the interest on that $. Add up all the transactions per month and that can be a decent amount of money.

I bought through Power Nissan Chandler, and they got the registration fees right. This is what I was charged for registering the Leaf on the Retail Purchase Agreement:

License Fees: $15
Title Fee: $4.00

The sales tax which in Chandler is 8.8% is separate from this, and unfortunately there's no discount for alt fuel vehicles. At the time I bought the Leaf, I actually thought $15 was low for the license fees, but since the minimum for alt fuel vehicles in AZ is $5, this makes sense. When I bought my wife's Prius 3 years ago, The License Fees were $377.00.

Check the License Fees line item on your purchase agreement to see what you were charged, I'd be curious to know if other people were charged more than $15.

Just wanted to make a quick post about my Leaf - yep, put in the order this week! Hoping they can make it close to the 3-4 month estimate they told us!

Quick update: had my Blink installed by Kortman a few weeks ago. They were outstanding! They had to run the line across the front of our home and under a walkway--did so most professionally. We ended up paying slightly over $300 for this--they did give us a discount on the overage and I haven't studied it yet, but there's a state tax credit for the installation I hope to use to offset. http://www.nissanusa.com/ev/media/pdf/incentives/nissan-leaf-incentive-1.pdf The main reason we had to pay more is because our dryer outlet is only 40 amp and so they used the stove at 50 amp which is clear on the other side of the house.

I just found out that the latest delivery date is August. I reserved 4/21/10, ordered 1/11/11

Not too concerned about delays--they did say 4-7 months when I ordered...my husband and I are sharing our Prius and the longer it takes, the less time I'll have 2 car payments, LOL.

Back