Poll : Are you planning to upgrade to a 2013 Leaf ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you planning to upgrade to a 2013 Leaf ?

• Yes (and I own my Leaf)

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Yes (and I lease my Leaf)

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Yes (and I don't have a Leaf)

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • May be (and I own my Leaf)

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • May be (and I lease my Leaf)

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • May be (and I don't have a Leaf)

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • No (and I own my Leaf)

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No (and I lease my Leaf)

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • No (and I don't have a Leaf)

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
So, looks like low # of current Leaf owners are planning to upgrade (<20%).

If Nissan comes out with a loyalty program, we will see if that sways anyone.

evnow said:
So, looks like low # of current Leaf owners are planning to upgrade (<20%).

If Nissan comes out with a loyalty program, we will see if that sways anyone.

why would I upgrade?
the original 2011 model is solid and i would also owe the state of CA payback of a portion of the 5k rebate.
it just doesnt make sense or cents.

the new model is just not a revolution in anything for those of us who dont use the heater allot.

thankyouOB said:
why would I upgrade?
the original 2011 model is solid and i would also owe the state of CA payback of a portion of the 5k rebate.
it just doesnt make sense or cents.

the new model is just not a revolution in anything for those of us who dont use the heater allot.
I see it doesn't sway you ;)

But loyalty programs are designed to sway some people, atleast.

For eg., my decision to upgrade would totally depend on how much the whole transaction would cost. If I'm going to lose thousands, I won't upgrade. Otherwise I'll. So a loyalty program that sweetens the deal (or makes it less bitter) would sway me. Then, I'd move from "May be" to "Yes !".

Voted "No (and I lease my Leaf)". I just started my 2 year lease in Jan 2013 on a 2012 SL. Unless there is a super-duper loyalty program (means very little $ to upgrade - which I don't see Nissan doing), I won't even think about upgrading. Though I could use better heating in the 2013 model, the 45-50 miles in 10F temperature is sufficient for my current needs.

I currently own a 2012 LEAF and it is a great car with just over 10,000 miles so far. The battery is holding up well in SLC weather.

My wife drives an 06 Prius and that used to be our "good" car. Now not so much. I would really like to get rid of the the Prius and get a 2013 LEAF for the wife, then she will quit borrowing MY CAR.

evnow said:
... my decision to upgrade would totally depend on how much the whole transaction would cost. If I'm going to lose thousands, I won't upgrade. Otherwise I'll. So a loyalty program that sweetens the deal (or makes it less bitter) would sway me. Then, I'd move from "May be" to "Yes !".

any idea what is typical of a loyalty program or what Nissan's might look like? it was mentioned that I could wait and see but I figured I was happy with the 2012 and eeked out my own sort of loyalty program.

dgpcolorado said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
...What I really need is QC stations. Totally at a disadvantage when gas cars can fuel almost anywhere.
Well, my LEAF fuels up in my garage but my ICE car can't, so I consider that an advantage... ;)

OK, not totally, but definitely if I want to go anywhere over 100 miles away. If we could get just one QC in every town, or maybe every other highway exit, the playing field would be equal. Nobody worries much about driving an ICE car on E, gas is everywhere. The UK, Japan, and the EU are ahead of us. We need a Zero Carbon World type charity or an Elon Musk of EVSE or Obama Stations or something.

Of course, if the Mideast escalates to the point where oil is disrupted, things could change fast, but I'd rather suffer limited range than wish for that.

KJD said:
My wife drives an 06 Prius and that used to be our "good" car. Now not so much. I would really like to get rid of the the Prius and get a 2013 LEAF for the wife, then she will quit borrowing MY CAR.

+1 :lol: Oh yea... But probably not until 2016, when our Prius turns 10.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
dgpcolorado said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
...What I really need is QC stations. Totally at a disadvantage when gas cars can fuel almost anywhere.
Well, my LEAF fuels up in my garage but my ICE car can't, so I consider that an advantage... ;)
OK, not totally, but definitely if I want to go anywhere over 100 miles away. If we could get just one QC in every town, or maybe every other highway exit, the playing field would be equal. Nobody worries much about driving an ICE car on E, gas is everywhere. The UK, Japan, and the EU are ahead of us. We need a Zero Carbon World type charity or an Elon Musk of EVSE or Obama Stations or something.

Of course, if the Mideast escalates to the point where oil is disrupted, things could change fast, but I'd rather suffer limited range than wish for that.
The UK, Japan, and most EU countries are geographically tiny and much more densely populated than the USA (not to mention a country like Canada). That is one reason they already have better rail and public transportation systems. A DCFC network is much more practical in such places.

The LEAF is a limited range commuter car. Trying to make it into a medium or long range car by placing and maintaining tens of thousands of DCFC stations every 40 miles or so in every spot in the country is impractical. My guess/hope is that longer range EVs will become affordable before that happens.

In the meantime, a limited rollout of DCFC stations in major metro areas and along some heavily traveled highways can serve as an interim boost to the limited range of the LEAF for some people, but at what cost? And who pays for it? Meanwhile, the majority of LEAFs go on about their daily short-range lives never needing a QC and racking up millions of oil-free miles each month. And the oil industry shills scream about the fact that one can't drive a LEAF across country so the car is an utter failure. Whatever.

There are a lot of people for whom a LEAF makes a perfectly good primary car, and who have an ICE secondary car for the occasional long trip beyond LEAF range. Trying to turn a LEAF into a long(er) range car would be nice but seems unnecessary to me.

After 31,000 miles, we'd love a new Leaf. But as many already know, the UK climate is not exactly harsh on the Leaf, and despite hammering our car on many occasions, there's no noticeable battery degradation.

But that extra tech. Oooh :)

My wife and I have talked it over a fair bit already, but in her words 'the Leaf ain't going anywhere, even for an upgrade!'

Instead we plan to turn the whole fleet into an plug-in one. We've currently got the Leaf, and I've got a Renault Twizy ZE as a kid-friendly motorcycle replacement. (It replaced my old two-stroke MZ, so it really is much cleaner!)

My wife has a 2008 Prius, currently used to do 80 miles a day. While i'd take the Leaf, she's less confident that it would have the range to do 80 miles without a recharge at freeway speeds, especially in the winter.

So as soon as we can, we'll replace the Prius with a Volt... or maybe a plug-in hybrid of some other sort. That said, she saw a Tesla Model S the other day for the first time, so... ;)

Back