Porsche Taycan - A 300 mile EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
This is exactly why I said this is Tesla-centric. You're using an unpublished constant
Wrong, and wrong

Every car has an EPA value that is published. Tesla uses that value to calculate RM, others hide theirs.
Tesla also shows the the EPA value as a dotted line on the energy consumption screen.

----
Is it useful ? Exactly as useful as reporting usable kWh remaining, which is valuable information to some people.

---
Tesla also has different GOMs built-in. The one that estimates destination SoC is outstanding because it takes into account current consumption rate, vehicle speed, road speed limit, future speed limits, and topography. On my trips the destination SoC estimate has always been within 1-2% of actual. Amazing, really. I presume the last bit of inaccuracy can be solved with wind data.

SageBrush said:
On my trips the destination SoC estimate has always been within 1-2% of actual. Amazing, really. I presume the last bit of inaccuracy can be solved with wind data.
I wonder if ABRP has integration with Windy?

On our last 440 mile trip MA=>Buffalo,NY, we had a 15 mph tailwind traveling westbound, and the car had consistently 9% more range at each stop. A few days later on the return trip, we had a 22 mpg tailwind traveling eastbound, and had nearly 15% more range. I was really glad the winds weren't doing the opposite those two days.

jlv said:
SageBrush said:
On my trips the destination SoC estimate has always been within 1-2% of actual. Amazing, really. I presume the last bit of inaccuracy can be solved with wind data.
I wonder if ABRP has integration with Windy?

My memory is foggy, but I thought I read recently that ABRP uses wind data

----
I use https://teslawinds.com/ in the car. It works well for me because I like being able to compare the wind direction with the overall direction of travel. A casual familiarity with Trig helps here.

---
Tesla does quite well without wind data after driving a few miles, as I explained above. Do you use the trip graph in the energy section ?

ABRP has a provision for giving a wind speed and selecting a direction. I was thinking of something more like TeslaWinds data (which I have set-up in both cars, but don't really use it - I just use the windy app on my phone).

Yes, I used the trip graph. It showed a clear delta between the estimated and actual values. But I only looked at it near each charging stop.

jlv said:
Yes, I used the trip graph. It showed a clear delta between the estimated and actual values. But I only looked at it near each charging stop.
What do you mean by 'estimated' ? I'm not sure we are talking about the same things here.

The graph I am talking about has one line that is based on EPA rated miles and topography; and then a second line that uses ongoing consumption and speed data in its prediction in addition to topography

I use this graph this way:
I start the trip with the RM SoC something reasonable at destination -- say 10 - 15%
So long as my ongoing line estimate is at or *above* the RM line I'm good. If it falls below the RM line I slow down or I start thinking about plan 'B.'

The 'estimate in evolution' will *always* be spot on by the time you reach your destination. The question is whether that estimate was reasonable early in the trip.

Back