Possible to put in a Double Din Head Unit in 2013 S?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlbrown

Well guys,

I'm starting on a little exploration if its possible to replace the crappy Panasonic Head unit on a 2013 S (with QC/Backup camera Pkg). The aftermarket Headunit i am currently short listing are (Pioneer X1600DVD, X2600BT, Sony XAV64BT). Speakers i am considering are (Pioneer TS-A1675 or Rockford Punch P1675). I would consider this a mid range setup and enough for my needs.

Questions i have:

1. Is it possible to put in a After market Double Din unit? (Metra/Scoche do not have a Leaf Dash kit yet)...Has anyone had success with another kits etc? (I dont care if the unit is sitting not flush etc - within certain limitations - as long as its secure
2. Wiring harness: Picked up on some thread std Nissan metra wiring harness (with some wires tapped directly should work) ?
3. Backup camera? I believe factory camera is std RCA and 6v power in a Nissan harness. I think i can put in a stepdown 12v to 6v and tap the RCA/trigger wire...?
4. Steering wheel controls....will loose those ..no interface for Leaf yet..but dont really care...
5. S with QC doesnt have Carwings/Nav/Bose so no more interfacing to figure out...yay...

Anyone with tips is appreciated!

Thanks

I've never seen a LEAF S so not really sure what's in there and what you need to preserve after you remove the HU

On my upgrade I left the original SL HU and added a Line out converter, two amps, New Speaker Drivers and Tweeters, all new power & speaker wires and a sub.

So all the original functions of the LEAF SL HU are intact.

Works like a charm.

No issues whatsoever.

Good Luck!

Sal

atlbrown said:
Well guys,

I'm starting on a little exploration if its possible to replace the crappy Panasonic Head unit on a 2013 S (with QC/Backup camera Pkg). The aftermarket Headunit i am currently short listing are (Pioneer X1600DVD, X2600BT, Sony XAV64BT). Speakers i am considering are (Pioneer TS-A1675 or Rockford Punch P1675). I would consider this a mid range setup and enough for my needs.

Questions i have:

1. Is it possible to put in a After market Double Din unit? (Metra/Scoche do not have a Leaf Dash kit yet)...Has anyone had success with another kits etc? (I dont care if the unit is sitting not flush etc - within certain limitations - as long as its secure
2. Wiring harness: Picked up on some thread std Nissan metra wiring harness (with some wires tapped directly should work) ?
3. Backup camera? I believe factory camera is std RCA and 6v power in a Nissan harness. I think i can put in a stepdown 12v to 6v and tap the RCA/trigger wire...?
4. Steering wheel controls....will loose those ..no interface for Leaf yet..but dont really care...
5. S with QC doesnt have Carwings/Nav/Bose so no more interfacing to figure out...yay...

Thanks

Just wondering if there's any follow-up. Did you give it a try? How did it go? I'm thinking about doing the same thing and the unig I'm looking at is on your short list (the Sony). Thanks!

In past I've taken the brackets used to mount my stock HUs and altered them or just screwed them into the aftermarket HU so when I screwed down the new HU it would attach exactly like the stock HU

You may wan to take out the existing HU and compare the stock one. You might be able to reuse some of the original facia and mounting brackets.

AngelaT said:
atlbrown said:
Well guys,

Questions i have:

Thanks

Just wondering if there's any follow-up. Did you give it a try? How did it go? I'm thinking about doing the same thing and the unig I'm looking at is on your short list (the Sony). Thanks!

Well i've transferred my Nissan Leaf to someone else - my 45 mile commute and random stops every now and then were just causing the out of the battery nervousness syndrome
anyway...

Bottom line is it wont be easy but it is doable by any professional audio shop - there is no plug and play harness..but here's what i learned talking to different installers. cost ranged from 250-350 for install + 300-500 for HU.

1. So first, yes the the factory HU bracket, metal frame etc CAN be used to install a after market HU - they might have to fabricate a trim or bezel to cover the face place - there is no Metra/Scoche kit as of Dec 2013.
2. there is no plug and play wiring harness - the wire harness plugging into the factory HU does not have any adapter/harness that can convert factory wires into after market HU - a prof installer will tap or cut/splice into the necessary wires - it is doable but certainly not for the avg joe - prof shops said it wont be a problem
3. backup camera is tricky - most shops said its not doable - reason being the factory camera is 6v (i confirmed this by looking at leaf repair manual)...most after market HU send a 12v power...the very learned installers told me either change the camera (costly, 150+) or live without one...i found a guy who said to buy a 12v to 6v converter and send the 6v down converted power to the camera (brillian..$6 in-line converter on ebay)
4. no steering wheel interface for leaf yet - so this will be lost

hope this help

is there room and is it possible to modify the mounting for the stock hu so I can "push it in" a tiny bit more (recessed) say 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch? I mounted a 7" tablet over the HU in the car (much better) but want it more "flush" with the console.

Back