Post your "why I deserve a Nissan LEAF" Contest video here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks, anyone who's out of the running with their own video and feels like voting for me, here it is:

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=23P7CV2YQQ42

(Lyrics by my daughter, and we only messed up a couple of them. :roll: Also the beginning is a little cut off; it's supposed to start "A Leaf and a Branch, they just go together...").

I'm not sure how you e-blasted your link to the newsletter, but I'm almost wondering if that somehow disqualified you. According to the contest rules, the three acceptable methods of sharing the link were e-mail, Facebook and Twitter. I don't know if they'd actually bother to police the voting, but they'd probably DQ people like the guy who posted a supplemental video on YouTube to get people to vote for him. (Friends of mine also ran into problems with the confirmation e-mail going into their spam folder, so that may have been a factor as well.) I also noticed that you may have been competing with HPEV (a.k.a. Beaker) given the timing of your post. The humor factor in his may have helped his video get further in the long run.

Either way, I don't think it was a problem with the quality of your message. I think it was just the same phenomena we all ran up against in this contest. I seriously debated whether or not to use our 30 seconds to talk earnestly about the kind of future that this car represented for us and our children, but in the end my wife pointed out that 1) most EV fans already knew most of what I planned to say, and 2) it definitely wouldn't go viral among the non-EV crowd because people wouldn't find it interesting enough to forward. In the end I settled for a less detailed message and we let the kids cut up in front of the camera in the hopes that it would be funny/endearing enough to get our more sympathetic friends to forward it. Even if the quality of the message wasn't up to my standards, it seems to have made it further into the non-EV crowd than I could have hoped, which in the end may be more important. :|

Depending on how this contest ends I may end up owing my wife for life because we got notified in December that we won the Portland competition. We just got our bike yesterday. :eek:[/quote]

Congratulations for winning the Portland competition.

Facebook and Twitter are the only two eligible social media sites to post the video but there is nothing in the rules pertaining to sending out links to newsletters. In fact the official rules state "This is a contest of skill designed to test the registrants’ abilities to use their networking skills utilizing social media to obtain votes from friends and family for their videos. ...registrants will be encouraged to use viral marketing skills to get friends and family to vote for their video by viewing it on the social media site and voting for it. Don't you consider anyone who votes for you as a new friend, even if they never met you before they watched the video?

Speaking of which - Vote for me to win a Nissan Leaf Electric Car

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=CBXX4QEKBNTZ

A few things on this:

- If you can be disqualified for posting the video link anywhere other than Facebook, Twitter, and email, then all those posted in this thread should be disqualified. Which is not true, since at least one posted here was the winner of his local event.

- The winners of each event are competing against each other for the grand prize, right? So, practically speaking, much as we'd like to be nice to each other, it's not a good idea to vote for any other videos. That's why I asked "anyone who's out of the running" to vote for mine. If you're a winner of your event or if your event hasn't happened yet, then I certainly wouldn't expect you to vote for me! But if you've already lost your event (or if you've already got your car), then I'd be glad to have your vote (see link in my previous post)! ;)

- I assume there is no way to know how many votes we are getting (or how many the winners of the completed events got)?

Hi, Everyone!

There are so many deserving Nissan Leaf enthusiasts, but I'm grateful to be able to add mine on this forum.

This video is really corny, but we had such fun shooting it. Driving the Nissan Leaf was great...it's quiet, drives smoothly and corners nicely. What a fine commuter car for riding with co-workers or for recreation with friends and family!

Please help me win this car, and together we can save the planet!

Here's the link to VIEW and VOTE.

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=HY8N6YGGZX6F

Many thanks,
Elizabeth

I didn't realize there was a thread for this (whoops! Guess who ignored the "Read this first before posting") so here's my video:

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=PYH83AK9U73M

All I can say is, I was put on the spot and the only thing I could come up with was....Hank Hill from King of the Hill! Bizarre, I know but hopefully the video makes you chuckle and you can tell your friends to go to:

http://HankHillNeedsALeaf.com

Thanks and sorry about the forum "Faux Pas"!!!

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=882CR7UUC89H

We did the best we could to make the video as entertaining as possible in the short time frame. I know a lot of you are already in the contest, but for those of you who aren't your vote would be really appreciated! I hope our video is entertaining enough to persuade you to vote for us!
Thanks in advance!

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=882CR7UUC89H

Hey all,

My wife just found a page on Nissan's site that lists out the winners of each drive event. I recognized a couple of folks from their submissions on this site, so I thought I'd post it here. I'm sure it'll get updated as other contests are decided.

Congrats to the finalists and good luck to all!

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Winners.aspx

Today's the last day to vote for my region (Orlando) so I just wanted to put out one more request to vote for Hank Hill to win a LEAF :)
This is the last time I'll annoy everyone so "sorry" in advance ;)

http://goo.gl/jITAw

Please vote for me if you get the chance! Tell your friends: http://HankHillNeedsALeaf.com

Hello LEAF FANS and Owners!!!

Iam soooo excited! I drove the Leaf yesterday and made my video. This car is awesome and I would be soo lucky to drive it! Check out my TOP 10 REASONS why I think I deserve it!!
THANKS FOR YOUR VOTES!!!!!! Use ALL and ANY email addresses you have!!!!

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=E92CECDZB86X

You have until 4/13/2011...

Thanks again!

jennc123 said:
Hello LEAF FANS and Owners!!!

Iam soooo excited! I drove the Leaf yesterday and made my video. This car is awesome and I would be soo lucky to drive it! Check out my TOP 10 REASONS why I think I deserve it!!
I voted for "Jenny, Mom to 4 Kids" because I believe a stay-at-home-mom to 4 kids Deserves anything she asks for ... well, almost anything. And, because of that leaf blower thing .... Now, that's Desire! :p

Oops, posted to the wrong thread; didn't see this one!

Finally, my video has gone online! Woo Hoo!

Vote for the TimeHorse's video

I should also point out that I'm very cagey about my image on the Internet, so this is a rare opportunity to see me on video!

Yami1975 said:

Voting on "Why I deserve a Nissan LEAF" contest video is finished. There are 22 event winners listed. We are only waiting for winner of Nashville, TN winner and winner of Nissan Leaf. It was a fantastic experience to drive Leaf in Dallas. I wish you all luck in winning this new age car.

EdmondLeaf said:
Yami1975 said:

Voting on "Why I deserve a Nissan LEAF" contest video is finished. There are 22 event winners listed. We are only waiting for winner of Nashville, TN winner and winner of Nissan Leaf. It was a fantastic experience to drive Leaf in Dallas. I wish you all luck in winning this new age car.

A #$@^% spammer won in DC. The most undeserving winner of them all. I wish HankHillNeedsALeaf won in DFW or Austin or wherever he was! Anyway, Nashville will be announced next Friday, but as of today, that winner will already know who he or she is.

The 23-city winner will be announced in early May. I seriously hope it's not that over-privileged New York Spammer with her Mini-E access. Washington was weird. But there were some decent ones besides that driving distance whiner who basically won because the LEAF tour refused to go further North; in other words punish the locals for living in the furthest North city. Thanks!

onlyjaymoo said:
They've posted the last bike winner to the winners website!

Anyone here win the car?? :)

Not me (bike winner for San Jose, CA). :-{

I've dropped a line to Giovanni (Orange County) and David (Los Angeles) to see if they've heard anything.

Wow TimeHorse - bitter much? How do you know Lisa in DC was a "spammer"? I joked in another thread about Yami1975 being one because he posted about mailing all of his friends and family. We also did that, to some extent. That was the point of the contest -- "spam" your friends and get them to vote -- not to make the *best* video, although that certainly helps. But since the video links were all hidden, and because the voting required some degree of trust that it wasn't a scam, I think people with lots of personal connections did the best. Just because a lot of people see your video doesn't mean they'll vote.

I also joked about Giovanni being a spammer because I read tons of his tweets mentioning celebrities both big and small, trying to get them to retweet his video. An interesting strategy that must have had some effect, since he won.

In the end, I thought it was an interesting way to run a contest, and I was as surprised as anybody when we won for San Jose. And I'm super-jazzed about my bike. Now that it's finally summer, I hope to ride it even more.

I'm going to wrap up by saying good luck to Yami1975 and all the other winners!!

notyou said:
How do you know Lisa in DC was a "spammer"?

Her friend spammed me and I don't know her or her friend through facebook. If I get an unsolicited e-mail from someone I don't know asking for something, it's spam. HankHillNeedsALeaf is not spam because it was posted on my CBox in my blog so it's okay to me for people to contact me that way but my facebook is pretty private so to contact me in that way is really offensive.

notyou said:
Wow TimeHorse - bitter much?

Okay, San Di-I could frickin order the car last August and could get it by December if not January-ego, here's how you become bitter. Now, don't get me wrong, I love San Diago and any LEAF enthusiast there deserves to win, you especially. I will say though geographically the most deserving folks to win are along the East Coast but not in New York or New Jersey!

1. Be told you can't get a Prius after your car is totalled in 2000 because the wait list is too long and you need a car now.
  2. Buy the most fuel-efficient car I could for the size (full) and take as good care of it as I possibly could.
  3. Watch as the VA Legislature cut off all Hybrid registrations for use of the HOV lanes single-occupancy on I95 / I395 into DC in 2006, before my car was anywhere near the point where it would have been environmentally sound to trade it in. Deciding the only solution is to make my next car a step above the hybrid: a full BEV.
  4. Become irate as gasoline prices reach $4.33 per gallon (inflation-adjusted based on Core CPI-u, see my chart).
  5. Try to get on the Mini-E program which was opened to New York, New Jersey and California residents but never hearing back because I live in Virginia.
  6. Start a blog dedicated to my dream of owning an electric vehicle of my very own.
  7. Hear about the LEAF in February 2010, join the LEAF mailing list and arrive just in time to see the beautiful prototype at the DC Auto Show.
  8. Be told I need to wait until December 2010 before I can order a LEAF.
  9. Repeatedly ask my Power Utility about Time-Of-Use rates and be sent constant mixed messages.
  10. Contact all Nissan Dealerships that are LEAF certified to see if any will offer MSRP, documenting each on the web.
  11. Receiving constant e-mail messages from the dealerships about any car other than the LEAF.
  12. Try to join the Electric Drive tour but since Santa Monica was the only spot opened accidentally signed up for that even though I live on the other coast.
  13. Forced to log into the Electric Drive Tour website numerous times each time a new event opened up so I could move my appointment since they told me I can't cancel it and if I missed the event I would be banned from attending the one in D.C., in my area.
  14. Research charging and EVSEs from no knowledge to expert.
  15. Create the current Place Your Orders Here map.
  16. Have my request for a second meter rejected without explanation.
  17. Join the EAA in order to get a discount on the ClipperCreek CS-100, costing me $2550 (I wanted a future-proof unit that could refuel a car much faster than 3.3kW for when those cars become available).
  18. Be slapped in the face, told in December, when you should have been able to order the car that you couldn't order the car until late Summer 2011.
  19. Wrote the the ECOTality / EV Project about putting me on the waiting list for Washington, D.C. but all I ever hear back is letters about how California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii and Arizona are getting all these great perks and D.C. is getting nothing.
  20. Call and write my Congressperson about extending the Alternative Fuel Refueling Station Tax Credit into 2011 and getting no answer.
  21. Spend $4323.15 on my EVSE, hoping for the $2000 tax credit before it expires.
  22. Work with my Power Utility to help them come up with two new EV-based TOU plans.
  23. Spend hours and hours doing research and blogging about electric cars and promoting the LEAF to anyone I could.
  24. Join the EVA/DC.
  25. Get to sit in a LEAF at the DC Auto Show, where I was exhibiting with the EVA/DC.
  26. Become an expert in my Power Utility's rate and tariff schedules.
  27. Become an expert on Title 26, Subtitle A, Chapter 1, Subchapter A, Part IV, Subpart B, Section 30C, the law governing the EVSE Tax Credit.
  28. Not being able to E-File my 2010 taxes because Turbo Tax refused to support form 8911, that governing the EVSE tax credit.
  29. Visit every Nissan Dealer I knew about in the run-up to the LEAF event in order to get in as many test drives as I could (8 total; I missed 6 of them).
  30. Document each dealership's MSRP, surprise options and public charging policy; count and photograph EVSE.
  31. Arrive late because the signage wasn't visible that early in the morning so I couldn't find the event location; I really wanted a LEAF at night test drive.
  32. Make a video for the Drive Electric tour.
  33. Find out the Monday after, when my video was supposed to be posted that it wasn't up yet. Call customer service and be told that it won't be up for another week.
  34. Receive spam that Friday from a Lazy-ass New York whose only sacrifice was to drive some 200 miles to attend an event when that event should have had a stop in New York anyway so effectively you're making D.C., the Northeastern-most stop, have to compete against the entire North East of the country for that prize! And from this list you can clearly see I've scarified way more, but I'm not done!.
  35. Find out that while this SOB's video has just been posted, mine is still nowhere to be seen!
  36. Get no response from on-line chat and don't get a reply from the tour manager until the following Tuesday the 29th. Effectively, this means I only had 22 days to gather votes, when this #%&^& got 26!
  37. Promise free gifts, food, parties, $100s of compensations for everyone I knew if I win, and told them I didn't care if they voted so they could benefit from my win even if they didn't vote. I'm that generous!
  38. Used my j.mp account to create a simple, easy to remember URL (http://j.mp/leafme) so the address could be passed out via word of mouth.
  39. Register over 100 clicks on my Bit.ly account by the time the contest ended.
  40. From the bottom of my heart I hope if I don't win, if someone else does, be it anybody but the despicable spammer!
  41. The despicable spammer wins!
  42. Have a chat with my Commonwealth Delegate about allowing EVs on the HOV lane; in Virginia EVs are classed as Hybrids.
  43. Be told by my Delegate that not only will EVs not be added to the restricted I95 / I395 corridor, but now, because ordering has been pushed out to Late Summer 2011, I won't even be able to take the LEAF on I66 since as of 1 July 2011 no new hybrids registered in the Commonwealth of Virginia will be allowed to use the HOV as single occupancy on that major road into DC.
  44. Stay up late last Monday hashing these issues out at my Commonwealth Delegate and told that even a Zero-Emissions plate is out of the question unless I can get 450 people to agree.
  45. Find out from the area dealerships that the LEAF release in Tier II is now pushed back until early 2012.
  46. Begin to become an expert on the laws governing the single-occupancy HOV lane usage both locally and nationally.
  47. Find out that in addition to California's yellow BEV only sticker, Maryland has a Plug-In sticker which allows any plug-in car to use its HOV lanes single-occupancy.
  48. And to add insult to injury, find out that the 6.6kW charger won't be available until the Smyrna plant goes on-line with the 2013 model year!

And that brings us to today. So now you can see why I hope someone from Alabama, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina or Virginia wins the car, not someone who either has access to LEAF ordering already or once of the uber-lucky that had access to the Mini-E 2 years ago!

I ask you, wouldn't you be bitter?

Since I answered my own question (by sending in the SASE), I'll post the answer here -- the Grand Prize Winner is Dorota P from Edmond, OK.

onlyjaymoo said:
Since I answered my own question (by sending in the SASE), I'll post the answer here -- the Grand Prize Winner is Dorota P from Edmond, OK.
Dorota P, eh? I'll call that über-deserving for both being in a Forgotten 36, no Mini-E state and a formerly EV friendly state of Oklahoma and props to OK for being the forgotten victim of terrorism and finally de-da-da-de, I like that toon, catchy!

All is right in the world, a much deserving winner! :)

Back