Potential buyer here. Any recommendations? Warnings?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PaperKitty said:
I want the LED headlights because I think they look cool (don't hate :cool: )
Hey, I had EXACTLY the same opinion about LED headlights. But I'm not sure they look as cool on the Leaf as they do on other cars you may have seen. Have you checked these out yourself already? (For me, it didn't matter what they looked like, because I wanted the charging upgrade, so I had to get LED headlights too)

I don't need the around view because parallel parking is one of the only things I consistently do right every time.
I believe this is also a safety feature, to make sure there aren't any kids/pets hiding in a blind spot.

If I am just using the car as an "around town car" then I might as well stick with my 98 blazer that won't shift higher than 2nd, and buy something that can be my road trip car.
I'm just in love with having an electric car.
Maybe a hybrid?
Does your hubby work somewhere that allows him to qualify for VPP pricing? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If so, the Leaf lease deals are insanely cheap. You may be able to spend less on the lease + electricity than you spend on gas for the Blazer.

Hybrids are also good options. Or the Chevy Volt, while more expensive, may also be a great option for you. You'd do your normal weekly driving using only electricity. When you want to go on a road trip, then the gas engine will help you get there. There's a great Volt forum over at http://gm-volt.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

PaperKitty said:
Yeah, but I would basically be buying an "around town" car, which my POS blazer already is. If I am going to sink almost 40k into this car, I would want to be able to go on trips with it with my kids.. and see mountains, or dolphins or something.

Now that my dreams are crushed, can you recommend a hybrid?
Why 40K? If you got the S model (no cruise control, no QC port, no nav system), that's $28.8K MSRP. You may qualify for a $7500 Federal tax credit (regardless of Leaf trim level). SV is $31,820 MSRP.

There might be some incentives for you: http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/incentives/findIncentivesByRegion/Louisiana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

You could lease and also try VPP, if eligible, as someone else mentioned. I currently see some deals at http://www.choosenissan.com/new-orleans-area/leaf/?next=cn.dsp.featuredoffers.carousel_leaf.vsp_featuredoffers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I picked zip code 70112.

I'm a huge Prius fan...

My husband & I both work at local businesses.. I'm at an adolescent psychiatric clinic and he's a cook in a fine dining restaurant. No deals for us :(

I said 40K because I'm considering the SL or the SV .. I was including tax, title & getting the charger installed in my house.

PaperKitty said:
I said 40K because I'm considering the SL or the SV .. I was including tax, title & getting the charger installed in my house.
Don't bother getting a "charger" (EVSE) installed at home. You won't need the extra charging speed. As long as your 120 volt outlet can handle a 12 amp sustained load, you can save that possibly multi-kilobuck expenditure.

The charger is in the car, under the hood on the '13. The included L1 "trickle charge" cord set and L1 and L2 charging stations are EVSE, NOT chargers.

Again, there's the $7500 Federal tax credit (you need to have enough tax liability) and possible state tax incentives.

cwerdna said:
PaperKitty said:
Don't bother getting a "charger" (EVSE) installed at home. You won't need the extra charging speed. As long as your 120 volt outlet can handle a 12 amp sustained load, you can save that possibly multi-kilobuck expenditure.

The charger is in the car, under the hood on the '13. The L1 "trickle chage" cord set and L1 and L2 charging stations are EVSE, NOT chargers.

Again, there's the $7500 Federal tax credit (you need to have enough tax liability) and possible state tax incentives.

As of right now, I have no idea if the outlet could handle that kind of load. We tripped the breaker in the garage when we plugged in a small space heater (we also have a gigantic deep freezer crammed full of my mother in law's frozen food.. long story) so I really don't know. I'd have to get my husband (former electrician, handy dude) to check that out.
It's the lack of distance per charge & charging stations that is really killing the dream for me.

Paperkitty, check out Ford C-Max hybrid (cheaper than Leaf, supposed to get 47 mpg but real-world reports are around 37 MPG) or C-Max Energi (more expensive) or Toyota Prius V (A couple of grand more than the C-Max, about the same as the Leaf, perhaps a couple mpg better than C-Max in the real world). I drove both of those before I got the Leaf. and they are nice cars anyone would enjoy owning. Since I hardly ever go out of the area and almost all of my trips are under 60 miles, I went with the Leaf. I leased it, 2 year lease for $2,500 up front and $295 a month for the SV model with premium package (Bose audio and camera). The camera I don't need but the Bose is terrific!
I have a nice Honda Pilot for long distance driving so am not in the same dilemma as you. If I could only have one car, I would have probably ended up with the Ford C-Max Energi, Fusion, or maybe the Chevy Volt.
Hope this helps and good luck.

^^^
There are 4 Prius family members (http://www.toyota.com/prius-family/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I personally wouldn't buy the Prius v wagon as I don't need the extra room so I have no reason to take the mileage hit (42 mpg combined vs. regular Prius' 50 mpg combined). I also don't like where the speedometer is placed in it.

If my Prius were to be totaled or stolen and I were to replace it w/another hybrid, I'd likely be getting one of these: regular Prius (aka liftback), Plug-in Prius (if the incentives were good enough), Camry Hybrid (I kinda miss the extra power and don't mind the mileage hit on that: is 41 mpg combined but has 200 hp and is WAY faster than any Prius family member). The Volt, being a PHEV would also be on my list.

I'd like to lease a Leaf (long story why I haven't) but the the Rav4 EV (CA compliance car) is looking more interesting due to incentives. I don't want a small SUV but it has a lot more range than the Leaf besides being much better in the acceleration dept... (see bottom of http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/testing-electric-vehicles-in-the-real-world.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I also don't really want to purchase a Rav4 EV, but the leasing deals on it are crappy.

I can't recommend any of the hybrid cars ('cuz I don't have any experience with any), but for the kind of driving you plan to do, the LEAF will be perfect. Wouldn't you love to always get into a precooled car (using either the onboard timer or your smart phone app)? If your dude is handy with electricity, have him put in a dedicated 120 volt / 15 amp breaker and circuit for the car. Should be cheap and easy.

It seems that an SV would fit your needs, so lets just say that. Also, you don't need all the fancy 6.6kW and DC "CHAdeMO" quick charger stuff, since there isn't any DC chargers anywhere near you, and probably not going to be one any time soon. One advantage to the 6.6kW charger option (it's standard on the leather equipped SL model) is for the "road trip" that you mentioned, it will charge at a rate that will add about 22 miles for each hour.

So, with the 6.6kW charger option, it would allow you to drive up to about 75 miles one way at speeds at 65 mph or below to your mom's house. Then you just plug in to her dryer's electrical outlet (should be a 240 volt / 30 amp circuit). You will need to have the charging cord that comes with the car modified for 240 volt / 20 amp service, which will cost about $300-ish at http://www.EVSEupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and buy the appropriate plug (should be NEMA 10-30 from http://www.EVSEadapters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). This will recharge the car in about 5 hours for your return trip.

Yes, it will take a LONG time to recharge the car once you return home from this trip with only 120 volts at home, but then you don't have too far to drive when you get home! You could also have your dude put in a dedicated 240 volt / 30 amp breaker with the NEMA 10-30 dryer plug in your garage, too.

For you situation, I would absolutely lease. The deals are just too good, and Nissan will instantly roll in the $7500 federal tax credit into your deal. You don't have to apply for it next April 15 with your taxes. If at the end of a 24 or 36 month lease, you still want THAT car, you can always buy that car for the "residual" value.

Click here to see what the public charging looks like.

The OP could keep the Blazer as their "range extender" for the occasional long trips.

One could rent an ICEV (internal combustion engine) vehicle for the occasional long trip. I dunno if Nissan's still doing http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and doing it in Louisiana. If yes, that'd eliminate the need to pay for rentals...

ITestStuff had a good suggestion you should look in to: The Chevy Volt. It would be all electric for your normal use and have no range problem for occasional long drives. It comes with a 120v EVSE that can be dialed down to put less load on your questionable garage circuit. The battery is water cooled, so will be far less susceptible to hot climate degradation. Like the LEAF, it qualifies for a $7500 federal tax credit. One thing to consider is that it is a four passenger, not a five passenger, car. If you are considering expanding your family any more that would be a problem.

Ray

PaperKitty said:
Yeah, but I would basically be buying an "around town" car, which my POS blazer already is. If I am going to sink almost 40k into this car, I would want to be able to go on trips with it with my kids.. and see mountains, or dolphins or something.

Now that my dreams are crushed, can you recommend a hybrid?

As already mentioned, the Leaf is not $40k, never was. The 2012 SL was the most expensive at around $37k. Nissan lowered prices dramatically for 2013, to the dismay of many early adopters, and now the Leaf S is the second or third cheapest freeway capable EV available in the US.

Remember, the Leaf has an EPA estimated range of 73 miles. I tell people "50-60" miles between charges is reasonable so unless you are driving up a lot of hills (isn't Louisiana relatively flat?) and/or have a lead foot, the car will take you to quite a few places, more if you will be staying overnight and have access to at least 120 volt charging.

If you are looking at rate of return, when compared to an already paid off ICE (internal combustion engined) car that payoff will take quite a while. But there are also lots of intangibles...not worrying about the volatile price of gasoline, knowing you are not contributing as much to pollution (it depends how green your local electricity generation is), and the smooth quiet driving experience are some of those intangibles.

If you can afford the Leaf, and if it works for you (and your commuting distances are well within its range), don't let an extended rate of return discourage you.

cwerdna said:
^^^
I'd like to lease a Leaf (long story why I haven't) but the the Rav4 EV (CA compliance car) is looking more interesting due to incentives. I don't want a small SUV but it has a lot more range than the Leaf besides being much better in the acceleration dept... (see bottom of http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/testing-electric-vehicles-in-the-real-world.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I also don't really want to purchase a Rav4 EV, but the leasing deals on it are crappy.
Thanks for the Edmunds link cwerdna, haven't seen this before. Shocking to me that Leaf did so poorly! Nissan better lose their (apparently) complacent attitude, the only thing going for them now is pricing, but that appears about to change with new entries from domestic and overseas mfg's. The 2014 Leaf had better have 120 real-world miles of range for near the same price or it will not even be on PaperKitty's list of candidates at all! Also, can no one at Nissan get a glimmer as to how critically important it is to have a battery-pack replacement program (pro-rated like regular lead-acid battery vendors) to give new buyers like PaperKitty reassurance as to the cost of replacing a deteriorated pack? They better catch on soon, their early lead is quickly evaporating IMO.
Pete

Petecomp1 said:
cwerdna said:
^^^
Thanks for the Edmunds link cwerdna, haven't seen this before. Shocking to me that Leaf did so poorly! Nissan better lose their (apparently) complacent attitude, the only thing going for them now is pricing, but that appears about to change with new entries from domestic and overseas mfg's. The 2014 Leaf had better have 120 real-world miles of range for near the same price or it will not even be on PaperKitty's list of candidates at all! Also, can no one at Nissan get a glimmer as to how critically important it is to have a battery-pack replacement program (pro-rated like regular lead-acid battery vendors) to give new buyers like PaperKitty reassurance as to the cost of replacing a deteriorated pack? They better catch on soon, their early lead is quickly evaporating IMO.
Pete
and you bought a LEAF this spring, WHY?

Petecomp1 said:
cwerdna said:
^^^
Pete
Anyone noticed that the Leaf tested was the 2011 model? All the others were 2012, except the Fit which is lease only.

PaperKitty,
Regarding long range trip concerns...how often do you really take those trips. I know we all think 'hey, but i want to drive to xyz and see the oh my gosh' but really how often? I have a co-worker who heads home to his folks 4-6 times a year in Jennings, KS which is so remote a location that they drive to Nebraska to get to WalMart. Clearly he has frequent long drives. A Leaf is not for him.

For me I need to hit 120 miles hiway 2-3 times a year. If I was a single car person then for those weekends I would just rent a nice dino-burner. But since we have two I takes the wife's Prius.

My understanding of LA weather is that the summer high's are a little lower than here so you should be good there but the high heat in the 80's-90's for a longer time might be a concern. Just doing a SWAG on the battery degradation model it looks like you'll hit battery end of life (70% capacity) around year seven (73 epa miles/charge X 70% = 51 mile range).

If this works for you and you have the need/capacity for the tax incentive then rock on and buy. If not then you would want to lease. In my opinion EV's are here to stay (finally). There are too many options now to be concerned about never having EV's available. Given the speed of change I'm going to be leasing after this and treat the car like a cell phone. Keep upgrading to get the new features.

Let us know what you decide. See if the dealer will let you have an extended test drive like over night.

thankyouOB said:
Petecomp1 said:
cwerdna said:
^^^
Pete
and you bought a LEAF this spring, WHY?

The link on Edmunds compared a 2011 Leaf. The 2013 model improved range. The models from other manufacturers are not as readily available nationwide. Available options from other manufacturers do not have great lease deals. I found the Ford CMax, Fusion and Focus all too difficult to get in and out of and seemed to have too much plastic in the interior.

Back