Questions we still have about Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GroundLoop said:
"That new road that was just completed, it will be updated in your Leaf Nav."

I too was surprised. Of course, he could be misinformed.
There is no technical reason this can't be done. Just a question of how it is designed, I guess. It may be designed for auto updates over the air ...

evnow said:
GroundLoop said:
"That new road that was just completed, it will be updated in your Leaf Nav."

I too was surprised. Of course, he could be misinformed.
There is no technical reason this can't be done. Just a question of how it is designed, I guess. It may be designed for auto updates over the air ...

I agree, as long as there are relatively few updates. Most mobile phone networks would not "appreciate" many 8 GB updates! But I guess the standard update will be much smaller.

Also, if all the roads were "moved" at once :mrgreen: I guess the update would be done at the next service.

I hope the updates are properly designed to allow incremental updates (for the few changes) without requiring the entire (multi-giga-byte) database to be re-downloaded.

I just hope CARWINGS can get Traffic updates. Last thing I need is to run out of EMF while stuck in unexpected bad traffic while coming home from work, where I could not update via Wi-Fi anyway. I also wish VDOT (Virginia Department of Transportation) updated the traffic info on a whole lot more roads than they do now, so my current GPS wouldn't keep routing me through many traffic lights and very slow traffic because there's no data on that road.

evnow said:
... I also think [Carwings] will be less per year than a full tank of gas.
What's the cost of a full tank of gas for a car that has no gas tank? My Prius takes around 7 or 8 gallons when the guess gauge tells me it's about empty. At $3.00 per gallon that's around $22.50. Gas was $3.05 at a station I drove by today in my EV.

garygid said:
... Currently, I think they just say "No Towing", but I do not know where.
That could mean "Do not tow anything with the Leaf," or it could mean "Do not tow the Leaf." Since cars sometimes get towed when the owner (and the owner's key) are not present, it is a problem if a car cannot be towed without damaging it.

MaryC said:
One question I have is, how durable is the underbelly cover. If it is hit by debris on the highway will it damage it?
I'll bet it would be about the same durability as other Nissans.

daniel said:
What's the cost of a full tank of gas for a car that has no gas tank? My Prius takes around 7 or 8 gallons when the guess gauge tells me it's about empty. At $3.00 per gallon that's around $22.50. Gas was $3.05 at a station I drove by today in my EV.

My fillup is about $40.

BTW, GM OnStar is expensive. $30 to $40/month ! So, most of the people (obviously) don't renew after the free trial period is over.

evnow said:
daniel said:
BTW, GM OnStar is expensive. $30 to $40/month ! So, most of the people (obviously) don't renew after the free trial period is over.
Actually 50% renew. It's $20/month ($200/yr) for the basic service and $30/month ($300/yr) for the basic services plus the navigation and concierge services.

SanDust said:
Actually 50% renew. It's $20/month ($200/yr) for the basic service and $30/month ($300/yr) for the basic services plus the navigation and concierge services.

Do you know how GM updates the map data - is it over the air ?

From the little that I read - On* may work quite differently. They seem to be sending direction over the air - but I guess the map still needs to be in the car.

Q: To release the LEAF's Parking Brake, is there any safety interlock, like requiring the "go-slower" (brake pedal) to be pressed, or at least an RFID inside the car?

Reason for Q: If there is no interlock, a dog's paw could easily turn the Parking Brake OFF, allowing the car to roll, or damage the "Park" (on the shifter) mechanism!

Q: How well does the "Park" mechanism keep the LEAF from rolling (using the "P" on the shifter).

Reason for Q: Many people in the USA do not take the time to set the Parking Brake, especially when only on gentle slopes.

Q: How long will the Parking Brake hold the LEAF on a steep hill (days, weeks, months)?

Reason for Q: When parking for an extended time on a hill, if the hydraulic locks or calipers leak, even a little, the Parking Brake "grip" might not remain strong enough to keep the car from rolling.

garygid said:
Q: To release the LEAF's Parking Brake, is there any safety interlock, like requiring the "go-slower" (brake pedal) to be pressed, or at least an RFID inside the car?

Reason for Q: If there is no interlock, a dog's paw could easily turn the Parking Brake OFF, allowing the car to roll, or damage the "Park" (on the shifter) mechanism!

I played briefly with the parking brake at the end of my test drive - yes, to release it you do have to be pressing on the brake pedal.

Remember when it was called an emergency brake or handbrake, and you could yank on it if the regular brakes failed, or more importantly if you needed to do a Rockford turn?

I wonder what happens when you pull up on the switch while you are moving? I assume nothing.

From Nissan's facebook ...

http://www.facebook.com/nissanleaf

Next week is our major media preview event in Nashville, where we will have the opportunity to ask Nissan LEAF experts the top 5 questions from our community! List your #1 question about the LEAF below and we'll do our best to get answers. (Please note, we will not be able to answer questions about delivery at this time. )

I'll take the questions from this thread and post.

Do ask your favorite questions on facebook. More people ask the same question, better chances of getting them answered.

TimeHorse said:
Although I don't think they'll have answers for these since they are "delivery" related but it doesn't hurt to ask:

1) a) When will the Cold Weather Package be available?
b) How much will it cost?
c) What is included? Heated Seats?

I used to live in a place that had winter, so I wonder too. And I wonder if the back seats are heated too, or else heated front seats or no, you'd have to crank up the hot air heater. And I wonder whether you can select whether or not to heat a seat depending on whether a passenger is sitting there or not. And whether each person can select how much heat they want, since tastes vary.

For most efficient use of heating power they would also include electric blankets. Remember winter pictures of old automobiles before they started enclosing the cab? People were covered with carriage blankets.

When I lived in North Dakota, my bum never got cold, even at 30 below zero F. My hands and feet got cold. I could deal with my feet by wearing my bunny boots. But my hands had to be able to control the car and its controls. What I wanted was never heated seats; I wanted a heated steering wheel!!!

But I solved the cold weather issues by moving to relatively mild Spokane.

There's probably a reason why North Dakota is not one of the initial roll-out states! ;)

garygid said:
Is a wheel-jack of some sort included?

If notm what good is the included lug-nut wrench?

What is the purpose of the third tool, with the "eye" in the end?

Does it stick into a jack to operate the jack, and turn by sticking something through the "eye"?

I haven't seen the supplied tools but your description of the third tool sounds like a towing eye bolt, which is normally supplied with Nissan cars. If so, this would suggest that the LEAF CAN be towed!
Regards
Bob

The eye-tool did not have threads and was only about 3/16" rod, so not strong enough for towing.

In one glove compartment at the Anaheim Test-Drive we DID find what looked like a BIG "towing" eye-bolt, about 3/4" in diameter, plenty strong for "pulling" the LEAF onto a flat-bed, I suspect.

garygid said:
In one glove compartment at the Anaheim Test-Drive we DID find what looked like a BIG "towing" eye-bolt, about 3/4" in diameter, plenty strong for "pulling" the LEAF onto a flat-bed, I suspect.
I saw that, too. But I think that was part of a wheel block kit used for the stationary demo vehicles. You can see it in action here (6th picture): http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghweather/sets/72157624962936987

My Subaru had a similar type of bolt. On the bumper, there is a small door that you pop open with a screwdriver and insert the bolt. That can be used for pulling the car out of trouble... :D

There is no reason, I believe, for a "block" kit to have such an eye-bolt associated with it.

The front of the car, on the thing they probably still call a "bumper", there are two "inserts", each about 2 inches square, one toward either side.

I syspect that you pop out the "insert" cover and the large bolt can screw in there ... primarily used for shipping, but perhaps for some form of towing as well.

Back