Questions we still have about Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tokenride said:
3. Placing the order. Does this mean any money down?

No, no further money requested until you take delivery of your car.

tokenride said:
4. Carwings?? What is that?

CARWINGS is Nissan's version OnStar. For the US it is going to be a CARWINGS LITE, stripped of the emergency response aspect currently offered in JDM version (unless customers are surveyed and it is found that they want this feature). If it stays as it's conceived right now, once our 3 year subscription is up it should be cheaper than the version offered in Japan.

I asked Matt at Stadium Nissan in Seattle to measure the interior dimensions on the Leaf they have sitting there. He said hip room was 47.2" in the rear and 48.8" in the front. So, identical to Versa dimensions. He did confirm 2 sets of child-seat latch connectors in the rear seat.

mwalsh said:
I'm sorry that I wasn't able to get answers to all the questions asked in this thread, but here are the ones I do have answers to:

Aw, man! No questions about that there cold-weather package. I'm surprised the Tennessee orders aren't complaining more. It can get darn cold in thems there Great Smokies! Same in MD and northern VA. Oh, not Edmonton, AB cold, to be sure. No where near there! But cold = heat = range reduction = standing potential and full-cabin heat is a lot more energy expensive than simple heated seats and steering wheel. Geesh!

Alright, peace! MWalsh did his best, I know it! And how can I be cross at anyone from the country what makes Doctor Who -- even if it was created by a Canadian! :)

ugh still cant believe there is no new info out on the cold weather package!

:oops:

guessing they dont want customers to delay orders in order to get the package so they just dont publish the date///

still holding out that maybe December orders can opt for it!

Well, I have a december order month, will place my order either way, with or without cold package

but I think it may be a bad idea to sell these cars in Maryland and Virginia without one....

interesting I see videos of cold weather testing on the zero emissions website showing the eningeers testing a Leaf on a snowy slushy test track. and we know they ran the Altra in very cold artic conditions.... so they know whats needed ,,, just hope they know how cold the Dc Va Md area gets..

TimeHorse said:
Aw, man! No questions about that there cold-weather package. I'm surprised the Tennessee orders aren't complaining more. It can get darn cold in thems there Great Smokies! Same in MD and northern VA. Oh, not Edmonton, AB cold, to be sure. No where near there! But cold = heat = range reduction = standing potential and full-cabin heat is a lot more energy expensive than simple heated seats and steering wheel. Geesh!

Your cold weather package has arrived! It is a dealer installed option ;) http://www.smarthome.com/9209/12V-Electric-Travel-Blanket/p.aspx Heat only the people, not the cabin.

Or if you're worried about the car's performance in ice and snow you could always wait a year and buy a Saab, which you can expect to be engineered to survive cold conditions. http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1047698_saab-to-start-ev-trials-of-next-gen-9-3-in-2011

mwalsh said:
Yeah, apparently the cold weather package is going to include a thermal blanket of some description, to help insulate and protect the pack during winter.
True, but the only catch is that you also have to get the special cradle for your garage that lets you invert the car so you spread the thermal blanket over the top (bottom?) of the battery pack.

garygid said:
Q: How long will the Parking Brake hold the LEAF on a steep hill (days, weeks, months)?

Reason for Q: When parking for an extended time on a hill, if the hydraulic locks or calipers leak, even a little, the Parking Brake "grip" might not remain strong enough to keep the car from rolling.

Gary, to suggest concern about this with the LEAF would suggest concern about this with whatever you drive now.

LEAFguy said:
garygid said:
Q: How long will the Parking Brake hold the LEAF on a steep hill (days, weeks, months)?

Reason for Q: When parking for an extended time on a hill, if the hydraulic locks or calipers leak, even a little, the Parking Brake "grip" might not remain strong enough to keep the car from rolling.

Gary, to suggest concern about this with the LEAF would suggest concern about this with whatever you drive now.

I'd also expect Leaf to be like the Prius, and "park" holds it even more reliably than "park" in an automatic transmission, because the electric motor is engaged.

walterbays said:
LEAFguy said:
garygid said:

I'd also expect Leaf to be like the Prius, and "park" holds it even more reliably than "park" in an automatic transmission, because the electric motor is engaged.

Parking brakes don't rely on the hydraulics. In an EV the motor is not "engaged" in park as that would do nothing to stop the car, EVs use parking prawls that lock the transmission, not engage the motor. Gary, were you really an engineer? I'm going to bet a pizza you cancel your Leaf order at the last minute. You buy a Leaf on your original reservation and the Pizza is on me, just make sure to curb your wheels:)

The question is valid.

In an ICE car, with manual transmission, leaving the car in first or reverse will mean that a lot of force is required to turn the engine. Thus, the paringbrake is less critical.

In my EVs, the engine turns with "no friction" when the EV is off, so it of no help as a "secondary parkingbrake".

mwalsh said:
I thought I answered this one...Mark Perry did say that there is an interlock, much like there is on an automatic transmission car, that would stop it from rolling. I have no other details though.

It's called a parking prawl as I mentioned in my last post. Every factory EV I have owned had one and it is built into the single-speed gear box, it locks the drive to a fixed object. If you buy a EV gear box it will have one. They have been on EVs for a VERY long time. In fact I don't know of any EV drive part the Leaf has that has not been on some EV in over 12 years. It's not as though Nissan has come up with anything new. When you put the car in park it engages the prawl, the one on my 10 year old EV was electronic as well, exactly like the leaf.

Anyone know if the passenger air bag will automatically turn off if a child is sitting up front? I would like for my 7 yr old son to sit shotgun.

EVDRIVER said:
Parking brakes don't rely on the hydraulics. In an EV the motor is not "engaged" in park as that would do nothing to stop the car, EVs use parking prawls that lock the transmission, not engage the motor. Gary, were you really an engineer? I'm going to bet a pizza you cancel your Leaf order at the last minute. You buy a Leaf on your original reservation and the Pizza is on me, just make sure to curb your wheels:)

Sorry, but there is no transmission in the LEAF. Wanna bet a pizza on that? ;)

Back