Range = Miles/KWh * 21

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caracalover said:
Ray, the guess o meter is pretty worthless. I want a smiley face sticker to cover it.
I've been dissing the guessometer for ages - in fact I think I may have invented that pejorative term - and I didn't even look at it. My latest disillusionment applies to the twelve SoC bars and the Energy Economy m/kWh number on the dash. Since it would drive me crazy not to believe in anything, I do still trust the odometer and trip odometer. Oh, and probably the speedometer.

Ray

P.S. I just checked - there are 18 traffic signals in that six mile loop I ran around today. Four of them are at right turns, but that still means a stop if the signal is red. Although I tried to hit greens, I certainly didn't succeed every time. A month ago I had run a test on a country highway at 45 mph with stops only at the ends of each stretch (about 9 miles if memory serves). That time I got a consistent 7 miles per bar. I am now wondering if the car's computer does a recalculation every time you stop, and if there might, in fact, be some bug in that recalculation logic that caused me to lose bars at strange times, and also caused the very suspicious gradual rise in m/kWh. I suppose it is barely possible that the bar loss variability was due strictly to clusters of stops (and the subsequent accelerations), though I think I would have noticed any clustering. I can't think of any valid explanation (like the engine warming up!!) for the gradual rise in m/kWh.

I went on a 60 mile round trip today (no A/C/ECO/CC), so a total of 80m. on the 80% charge, averaging 6.3m (dash)/Kwh (lost the 6.6 with this second trip), had one bar left and then a few miles later, the low fuel light with 11 miles on the gom which means I had another 20 miles left if I remember correctly from Tony's post. The ave. number of miles per bar came out to 8.2. So if I do 6.3 X 16 that equals 101 on an 80% charge. So evnow's calculation is right on.

planet4ever said:
Caracalover said:
Ray, the guess o meter is pretty worthless. I want a smiley face sticker to cover it.
I've been dissing the guessometer for ages - in fact I think I may have invented that pejorative term - and I didn't even look at it. My latest disillusionment applies to the twelve SoC bars and the Energy Economy m/kWh number on the dash. Since it would drive me crazy not to believe in anything, I do still trust the odometer and trip odometer. Oh, and probably the speedometer.

Ray

OK, to add to your disbelief, consternation, or distrust, at both ends I turned the car off and then back on and lost a bar both times.

planet4ever said:
I can't think of any valid explanation (like the engine warming up!!) for the gradual rise in m/kWh.
I've noticed the slow rise in mpkwh too. I won't be surprised if there is a valid reason for that - may be the motor and other efficiencies are low when cold.

I've found the predicted range (guess-o-meter) to be fairly accurate on my 55-mile round trip commute, but much less accurate for my weekend driving (errands, joy riding, etc.). For example, this morning I charged to 100% and the predicted range was 110. After I got to work (28 miles later), the range was 83 and my mpk was 5.5. So, the range went down by 27 miles for an actual distance covered of 27.9 miles covered. I used 3 bars, which works out to ~4.5 kWh (at 1.5 per bar on average, even though they aren't linear), which corresponds to 25 miles . This particular data point notwithstanding, the range estimate tends to be more accurate for my drive home since the prediction in that case is based on my drive to work, which is very similar (only 250 feet of elevation change between home & work). I was surprised that it was so accurate this morning since I only averaged 3.2 for my driving yesterday (weekend joy riding). In any case, I now have 13 commute data points, and the predicted range has been within 5% for most of those. I suspect that's because I try to maintain a steady consumption rate as much as possible on my commute. It seems like the range estimate is just based on a simple moving average of the consumption rate, so it would make sense that the more variability in your consumption rate, the less accurate the range estimate will be.

I think the range estimate is a useful tool, as long as you understand how it works and under what conditions it works best. Hills seem to give it the most trouble, which makes sense since even small grades that are imperceptible to the driver can cause a large variation in consumption rates. I tend to ignore it in those cases, but once I get back to a more steady state for 5+ miles, it starts to come back to reality.

I've also noticed that the average mpk display starts low right after reset and creeps up after that. I wonder if that's due to using zeros for the missing values in the moving window right after reset. As the window 'moves right' those zeros get filled in with actual values, causing the average to creep up.

Caracalover said:
OK, to add to your disbelief, consternation, or distrust, at both ends I turned the car off and then back on and lost a bar both times.

here's a really weird one that happened to me the other day:
I was waiting in the grocery store parking lot for my girlfriend, but decided to keep the Leaf fully on (yeah, I should have just put it "accessories only mode", but I was experimenting a bit). After only about 5mins of sitting still, I lost a bar and my predicted range also dropped by 1 mile (from 65 to 64, I think).
It was probably just coincidence that I was monkeying with the power windows at the time (surely that comes from the 12v accessories battery and not the main battery!), but I still thought it was very odd that it would suddenly predict a lower range for me based on my being in in Park!

="planet4everI've been dissing the guessometer for ages - in fact I think I may have invented that pejorative term - and I didn't even look at it. My latest disillusionment applies to the twelve SoC bars and the Energy Economy m/kWh number on the dash. Since it would drive me crazy not to believe in anything, I do still trust the odometer and trip odometer. Oh, and probably the speedometer.

Ray

Ray,
Not that it's a big deal, I think I beat you to the "guessometer" term. Unless my search was off, it looks like the first time you used it was May 17th, I have it down for May 4th.... ;) . I also agree with you, the GOM is worthless for the most part.

Post subject: Re: Charging Rudeness?Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Ready2plugin wrote:

Glad it hear she made it!! Hopefully you're feeling better too. As for "turtle mode" I go down to the last two bars almost each day since the software update (I use to have 4 bars remaining) and have yet to see the "low battery" alert or Turtle come up. The lowest I've pulled into the garage is with the two red bars and 15 miles remaining on the guess-o-meter.

Ready2plugin said:
I also agree with you, the GOM is worthless for the most part.
Range estimation is ok if you are going to continue to drive the same way you have been driving the past 5 or so miles.

earther said:
It was probably just coincidence that I was monkeying with the power windows at the time (surely that comes from the 12v accessories battery and not the main battery!)
OK, see if you can figure out where the 12v battery gets recharged from ;)

Back