REALLY!!! $200 gas tax.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm old but not so old that I don't remember growing up in the 60's and 70's before the Clean Air Act. Grew up just south of Los Angeles. Many days we couldn't go out for recess when I was in elementary school in the 60's. Walking the mile to Junior and Senior high. Moving into the 3rd floor dorm in the early 70's meant a 20 minute "rest stop" in the room after each trip up so our lungs would stop burning.

As to the thread topic, I drive my Prius Prime maybe 4K miles a year, my wife drives her Leaf about 21K a year. Her prior car was a 2006 Prius averaging 40+ MPG in the winter, 50+ in the summer, full tank. Figure 450 gallons of gas a year.

Guess which one of us is retired ;) My driving is 425 mile round trip on the interstate twice a year, 55 MPG. All other travel is local (< 25 miles round trip) or to the larger city (60 miles round trip). Non interstate travel, 65 to 70 MPG and that is after the EV range is exhausted. I use maybe 50 gallons of gas a year.

A flat $200 tax on my car would be $0.05/mile, more than doubling the current cost/mile. The same $200 on the Leaf would be $0.01/mile
The electricity for my Leaf is about 3 cents a mile. The tax, 3 cents a mile.

I'm old but not so old that I don't remember growing up in the 60's and 70's before the Clean Air Act. Grew up just south of Los Angeles. Many days we couldn't go out for recess when I was in elementary school in the 60's. Walking the mile to Junior and Senior high. Moving into the 3rd floor dorm in the early 70's meant a 20 minute "rest stop" in the room after each trip up so our lungs would stop burning.

As to the thread topic, I drive my Prius Prime maybe 4K miles a year, my wife drives her Leaf about 21K a year. Her prior car was a 2006 Prius averaging 40+ MPG in the winter, 50+ in the summer, full tank. Figure 450 gallons of gas a year.

Guess which one of us is retired ;) My driving is 425 mile round trip on the interstate twice a year, 55 MPG. All other travel is local (< 25 miles round trip) or to the larger city (60 miles round trip). Non interstate travel, 65 to 70 MPG and that is after the EV range is exhausted. I use maybe 50 gallons of gas a year.

A flat $200 tax on my car would be $0.05/mile, more than doubling the current cost/mile. The same $200 on the Leaf would be $0.01/mile
I lived in LA during the same time. It is too easy to forget how bad it was. I agree the flat tax is not the way to go. I only drive 6k a year. Let's leave the gas tax as it is, and do odometer for EV. For plug in hybrid, we could require mfg to have two odometers. Miles on electric and total miles. So only odometer tax on electric. Gas tax at the pump.

I live in Oregon and after nearly 10 years of LEAF ownership, I think this is the first year I'm dealing with this.

I can either pay $316 flat, or I can pay an $86 + $0.02/mile. The latter is by far the better deal financially for my wife and I - we probably drive 4-6K miles a year in that car. But this comes with a cost. You have to plug in a device to your ODB2 port, that tracks your geolocation and sends the data back to a provider that bills you. This is a bridge too far for me. I'm not doing anything shady, but I don't want to pay money to give someone else data to sell on me. Ugh. Why they can't just read the odometer at the end of the year and charge me is beyond me.

I'm simply curious and not judging anything you say, but what could be sold from you mileage and location that is harmful to you (and even gainful to them)? If you carry a cellphone AFAIK that's available to your service provider already.

I'm simply curious and not judging anything you say, but what could be sold from you mileage and location that is harmful to you (and even gainful to them)? If you carry a cellphone AFAIK that's available to your service provider already.
It would allow them to set a higher tax rate/mile in differing location, so one rate for say greater Portland and another for Bend, or one rate for daytime and another for night.
I am less concerned about other things that may be gleened from my data. Cell phone records are at least supposed require a court order to be turned over, but in practice?

Did someone say a tire tax?

Yes, I did, back on page one. The complications of all the other 8 pages of stuff make the tire tax look pretty straightforward.

Weight is proportional
Mileage is proportional
Summer/Winter tires is self administrating: Use of one set prolongs life of the other (delaying the next dunning)

Tracking users is a non issue.

Occam's razor and all that.

Back