Recovery from turtle mode?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would guess you could do it.. the question is will the software let you out of turtle mode if you've added a bunch of charge via regen? I suppose with a Gid meter, battery app (or LeafDD :)) you could always just power down the Leaf when you get up in the teens on Gids and power up again (it should power up out of turtle mode).

The turtle mode on the Leaf is a real stinker... barely enough energy to drive a mile (if you're very careful). all those double bubbles on the dash that can be used to show limited power and it seems there are only two modes.. FULL power and almost NO power. A graceful degradation based on SOC/voltage might have been nice. The original RAV4-EV had an actual analog style (although I'm sure digitally fed) voltage gauge and when the needle dropped below a certain voltage the turtle icon came on and limited power... If the voltage came up again for any reason (including rest) then the turtle icon and reduced power mode went away. On the EV1 reduced power mode was good for 3-5 miles if you were careful... I don't recall if you could get out of it (reduced power mode) with a bunch of regen though.

I just think the Leaf's software that makes it look like you've got full power right up to the last half mile then puts you in golf cart ubber low power mode is simply lame.

GregH said:
I just think the Leaf's software that makes it look like you've got full power right up to the last half mile then puts you in golf cart ubber low power mode is simply lame.
Yeah, they should make it lurch like an ICE for the last mile instead. :)

TickTock said:
GregH said:
Yeah, they should make it lurch like an ICE for the last mile instead. :)
Not like they haven't done enough to make it behave like an ICE with regard to end of charge.. I guess I should bite might tongue though as this behavior makes it all the more important to have some sort of GID meter on board.

After a 2011 Leaf Turtles and shuts down, it will not go into "Ready" mode until you recharge to around VLB warning, ~1.5kWh. This is based on experience. Everything powered by the 12V battery still works until you kill that. Brakes continue to work but I don't know how long that lasts! Power steering is gone but mechanical steering can be accomplished with some muscle power.

To recap:
1. when the Turtle light goes on, you have very little energy left, especially if going up hill!
2. get the car to a safe parking spot as soon as possible;
3. shut the car down before it disables itself,
4. there is no regeneration after the car disables itself- nada, zilch, zen zen, fugetaboutit,
4. wonder why, though you may be 100 feet or less from electrical power, you have to call road service.

Finally, the Turtle light should turn upside down when the car disables itself. In addition, the legs of the turtle should wiggle a couple of times before going still. I call that DeadTurtle™. There is a patent pending on this concept and the trade mark has been registered. Both will be defended in court to my last breath!

See also
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/09/range-anxiety-what-if-you-drive-nissan-leaf-ev-till-battery-dies/1#.U5ey1fldVW8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

91040 said:
After a 2011 Leaf Turtles and shuts down, it will not go into "Ready" mode until you recharge to around VLB warning, ~1.5kWh. This is based on experience. Everything powered by the 12V battery still works until you kill that. Brakes continue to work but I don't know how long that lasts! Power steering is gone but mechanical steering can be accomplished with some muscle power.

To recap:
1. when the Turtle light goes on, you have very little energy left, especially if going up hill!
2. get the car to a safe parking spot as soon as possible;
3. shut the car down before it disables itself,
4. there is no regeneration after the car disables itself- nada, zilch, zen zen, fugetaboutit,
4. wonder why, though you may be 100 feet or less from electrical power, you have to call road service.

Finally, the Turtle light should turn upside down when the car disables itself. In addition, the legs of the turtle should wiggle a couple of times before going still. I call that DeadTurtle™. There is a patent pending on this concept and the trade mark has been registered. Both will be defended in court to my last breath!

GregH said:
I agree that a mile after VLBW, speed could be limited to 50 mph and continue dropping as turtle limit of 25 mph was reached.
It would actually feel like the battery was losing power.

Back