Regen limited on gravel?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levenkay

It's kind of interesting that it took two years of LEAF driving to notice this, but I took my 2012 LEAF up into some nearby hills that were logged a decade or so ago to go berry-picking yesterday, and was surprised that the car only allowed one bubble's worth of regen on the way back down. None of the factors that I know affect regen seemed to be in play: the car only had about seven bars' worth of charge, and the battery was at six temperature bars. Still, I had to use friction brakes to hold speed below 20-25MPH coming down the gravel road. Dumbfounded, I brought the car to a complete stop and turned it OFF for half a minute or so, but got the same behavior after turning it back on. Pressing the traction control override button didn't change anything either. All the regen bubbles had double-circles, though.

About a mile later, the road surface became asphalt again, but still with about the same slope, and it was quickly apparent (and reassuring) that the car lit up four regen bubbles when I applied the B pedal on *that* surface. I guess I can accept that this must be a design feature, but I'm a little puzzled at why it would matter so much where the braking force comes from. I mean, nothing kept the *friction* brakes from working, and *they* were still effective at slowing the car (I didn't feel any ABS activity). So why make the regen system sit on the bench? I was also kind of impressed that the car could distinguish between the surfaces; apart from the noise and dust, the footing felt pretty stable, I thought. Only thing I can come up with is that regen only uses the front wheels, while the friction brakes use all four; is there a fear of inducing a spin by stopping just the fronts?

The owner's manual doesn't have much information about the car's regen feature to begin with, and doesn't mention anything about it depending on road surface quality.

I have to drive down a hill from work with two speed bumps, if I have the brakes/regen engaged when I go over the speed bumps the regen will immediately stop and will not start regen-ing again until I let off the brakes completely and re-apply

I think that may be a feature of the car if it sense lots of bumpiness or any sort of loss of traction it stops relying on the regen. My thought is that this may be related to the Anti-lock braking system, if you lose traction the ABS wants to pulse the brakes, but it has not method of pulsing the regen on&off to regain traction, so it simply stops regen and utilizes the mechanical brakes in case ABS is needed. BUT that is just my opinion, based on my experiences. I end up slowing down before I get to the speed bumps, completely letting go of the brakes over the speed bumps, then re-applying brakes for max regen.

-Matt

Lopton said:
My thought is that this may be related to the Anti-lock braking system, if you lose traction the ABS wants to pulse the brakes, but it has not method of pulsing the regen on&off to regain traction, so it simply stops regen and utilizes the mechanical brakes in case ABS is needed.
I'm pretty sure that this is exactly what is happening.

Nissan has many engineering years put into developing an anti-lock braking solution for their cars. It's difficult to get right. For the Leaf, they used the same system, so they have to turn off regen braking when it is active.

It may also be the case that it's not possible to switch regen off quickly enough in low-traction situations, and they didn't want to risk losing traction due to the regen being too much for the situation.

The Prius regen braking exhibits a similar phenomenon, but it's MUCH worse. If you're braking over almost any bump in the road, you lose regen for at least the next 20-30 seconds or so. At least in the Leaf, it's not as sensitive to random small bumps, and it comes back very quickly after.

Few are as good as BMW at ABS and traction control... It will be interesting to see how they handle it in the i3...

iluvmacs said:
The Prius regen braking exhibits a similar phenomenon, but it's MUCH worse. If you're braking over almost any bump in the road, you lose regen for at least the next 20-30 seconds or so. At least in the Leaf, it's not as sensitive to random small bumps, and it comes back very quickly after.

Back