Replaced charger cable - now it's not freezes in the cold

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cober

As I bought Nissan Leaf - it was a problem, in a cold weather charger cable was so frozen so I could not put it in the trunk.
Finally I've managed to solve this problem - I replaced the cable with non freezing rubber insulated cable - and made it a little longer.
Here's video how I did it.
https://youtu.be/wYH1Pnu3mlI

Nice video, thanks for posting. It must get really cold where you!

The stuff you didn't know the US name for is call 'heat shrink'.

The US word for the connectors you used is 'crimp connections' and you 'crimp' them to attach them.

Interestingly, the EVSE looked like the second generation EVSE of which mine already has a more rubbery cable than the first generation('11/'12). I've never had an issue down to -20F with my '13 EVSE but my '12 with a more shinny cable does get quite stiff below 0F.
My favorite cable has the rubbery almost sticky black jacket(but also sometimes comes in blue for extension cords) as they stay flexible in sub-zero temps, their downside is they tend to pick up dust as they are so soft. The '12 cable is easier to wipe off and doesn't pick up dust as easily but does tend to get stiff, again in sub-zero temps. Any cable is good in warmer temps but living in a climate that regularly gets below zero in January, I really only purchase the winter-rated cords for outside use.

goldbrick said:
Nice video, thanks for posting. It must get really cold where you!

The stuff you didn't know the US name for is call 'heat shrink'.

The US word for the connectors you used is 'crimp connections' and you 'crimp' them to attach them.
thanks alot man

jjeff said:
Interestingly, the EVSE looked like the second generation EVSE of which mine already has a more rubbery cable than the first generation('11/'12). I've never had an issue down to -20F with my '13 EVSE but my '12 with a more shinny cable does get quite stiff below 0F.
My favorite cable has the rubbery almost sticky black jacket(but also sometimes comes in blue for extension cords) as they stay flexible in sub-zero temps, their downside is they tend to pick up dust as they are so soft. The '12 cable is easier to wipe off and doesn't pick up dust as easily but does tend to get stiff, again in sub-zero temps. Any cable is good in warmer temps but living in a climate that regularly gets below zero in January, I really only purchase the winter-rated cords for outside use.
Apparently they changed insulation material in - cause my friend's Leaf 2014 don't have this problem.

Back